News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How to correctly cite a university campus?

Started by Vark, November 04, 2022, 01:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vark

In writing something for publication, I cited a university campus as University of XXX-(campus name). My editor replaced the dash with a comma, changing it to University of XXX, (campus name). Is this change correct? In searching for a consistent way to handle this, I have noticed that there seems to be no standardization among how various universities refer to themselves (University of Massachusetts Amherst, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of California, Irvine).

Ruralguy

Aren't editors like the proverbial customer---always right?

Seriously though, you'd think you would just go by what the campus itself uses, but it would be dumb to die on this hill

Puget

Right, just look at their website and do what they do.

My PhD university, in its infinite wisdom, paid a consultant a lot of money to do a "rebranding". Besides tweaking the design of the logo, the main outcome of this seems to have been removing the comma between University of X and the campus location. Worth every penny I'm sure.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

jerseyjay

This is not a hill to die on.

But if you have a say, I would go with what the university itself calls itself.

I do not think it is possible to make a general rule. Hence, a very quick internet search brings up:

University of California, Irvine

University of California San Diego

University of Massachusetts Amherst

University of Massachusetts Boston

University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

University of Wisconsin-Madison

University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

This is based on how the school name is spelt on the home page. I am sure different pages have different spellings. And many schools do not go by their official usually but use some nick name or abbreviation (UIC, UCLA, UMB, UC Davis, etc).

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Hibush