News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by sinenomine, January 01, 2023, 04:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

I'll kick things off...

This month I hope to get peer reviews in for an invited article so I can make revisions;
I need to write a book review;
I hope to actually write up a piece I've been researching;
and I need to get going on a conference paper.

Hopefully there won't be too many surprises on campus to distract me!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Parasaurolophus

I mostly need to rethink my writing plans for the next six months, But for January, let's say:

• Turn around a very-involved R&R (am hoping for an extension)
  • Figure out how to finish up that blog post.
  • Finish preparing 1 invited contribution
  • Submitting one extant rejected paper for a special issue
  • Start re-jigging an extant paper into a symposium talk on a senior scholar's work

If I manage to get things done pretty early, I might then try to whip up a new paper for another special issue due Feb. 1. But I suspect that won't happen.

For today, I'll have a look at the corrections I need to make for the R&R, have a look at the rejected paper I'm submitting, and then shift to working on my new teaching prep.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 01, 2023, 12:07:52 PM
For today, I'll have a look at the corrections I need to make for the R&R, have a look at the rejected paper I'm submitting, and then shift to working on my new teaching prep.

Whatever, I wasn't feeling it.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Back to the grind...

January goals:

• Revise paper #1 (recently rejected) for submission to journal, with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make some progress on paper #3 with colleague - this is actually my most promising project at the moment, so I should prioritize it above the others
  • Tinker with data for possible paper with colleague (I'm skeptical this has legs, but colleague wants to pursue it, so I'll give the data another look with their suggestions)
  • Make progress on new project - book proposal, sabbatical proposal, IRB for summer fieldwork
  • Put together (and hopefully submit) article pitch with colleague for magazine article

I have four papers under review at the moment as well, with one pushing five months since submission and the others ranging from one to two months, so if one or more of those come back to me then I'll add them to the list.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I should find the energy to start doing something about the R&R today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 02, 2023, 08:55:49 AM
I suppose I should find the energy to start doing something about the R&R today.

Put in 900 words of blogpost instead. So that's a full draft of that done, at least.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'd best break the ice on that R&R.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

January Goals

• Continue analysis on sabbatical project data
  • Work on sabbatical project repository for library
  • Meet with publisher regarding book proposal

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 03, 2023, 07:36:16 AM
I'd best break the ice on that R&R.

I fixed one set of problems identified by the kind referee. It's all I was up for today (but it does make a difference!). On to teaching crap.
I know it's a genus.

filologos

January goals:

• Finish the last main chapter of the dissertation and send to advisor
  • Outline introduction and/or conclusion (stretch)
  • Begin revising rejected article on P. for submission elsewhere (stretch)
  • Identify a CFP to write an abstract for (not necessary)

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2023, 07:34:17 PM
Back to the grind...

January goals:

• Revise paper #1 (recently rejected) for submission to journal, with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make some progress on paper #3 with colleague - this is actually my most promising project at the moment, so I should prioritize it above the others
  • Tinker with data for possible paper with colleague (I'm skeptical this has legs, but colleague wants to pursue it, so I'll give the data another look with their suggestions)
  • Make progress on new project - book proposal, sabbatical proposal, IRB for summer fieldwork
  • Put together (and hopefully submit) article pitch with colleague for magazine article

I have four papers under review at the moment as well, with one pushing five months since submission and the others ranging from one to two months, so if one or more of those come back to me then I'll add them to the list.

I had to do a couple of reviews today, but managed to work a little on the article pitch and the data for possible paper with colleague (bullet points 4 and 6). I think both of these are probably lost causes, but colleagues want to at least give them a shot so I'm doing my part.

I'd like to quickly narrow things down to points 3 and 5 (preferably before rejections or R&Rs start coming back from journals), so I'll be trying to strike the other things from my list asap. Unfortunately, I need to do another article review this week and also have been tasked with various household errands, so I'll try to squeeze in research here and there. Classes start up again on Monday, so that will both eat into my time and help me to structure my schedule.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: filologos on January 03, 2023, 03:33:34 PM
    • Identify a CFP to write an abstract for (not necessary)

I think we're in the same field, so if you'd like help with this, just PM me and let me know!
    I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Suppose I should do more R&Ring, although I may not have much time for it.
    I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 04, 2023, 01:26:56 PM
    Suppose I should do more R&Ring, although I may not have much time for it.

Broke very little ground on a second major comment.
    I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I want to read 2 articles for the R&R and start cutting down a prize submission (5k too long).
    I know it's a genus.