News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by sinenomine, January 01, 2023, 04:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 13, 2023, 09:20:08 AM
Gonna translate, submit my blog post, maybe submit a prize paper, return to the R&R, and work on teaching stuff.

We'll see.

I had a look at what I might consider revising for the prize paper. Might just give up and send it as-is, though.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Further translation and consideration of the prize paper today. Gotta move on a second prize paper submission, too.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 14, 2023, 08:46:02 AM
Further translation and consideration of the prize paper today. Gotta move on a second prize paper submission, too.

Translated my bit, tidied the prize paper a bit and submitted it, and reached out to a coauthor about a special issue submission to get the ball rolling again.

Second prize not moved on, but really all I have to do is print two physical copies (!) and mail them.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today I'll get things in order for th eother prize, do some translating, and a pile of teaching and other tasks.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 15, 2023, 10:22:45 AM
Today I'll get things in order for th eother prize, do some translating, and a pile of teaching and other tasks.

Not great, but not bad.
I know it's a genus.

secundem_artem

ACCEPTED!  Take THAT Reviewer #2, you old meanie you!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 16, 2023, 06:56:45 AM

Well done!

Today, I finish the first chapter of the translation, so that we can submit the proposal. After that, I can leave off for a while.

I should also do teaching stuff. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 16, 2023, 09:38:44 AM

Today, I finish the first chapter of the translation, so that we can submit the proposal. After that, I can leave off for a while.

I should also do teaching stuff. Ugh.

I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 16, 2023, 06:56:45 AM

Yeehaw to that!

Parasaurolophus

Meeting with my co-translator later. Otherwise, just teaching crap.
I know it's a genus.

secundem_artem

2 papers accepted this month and a new survey goes into the field tomorrow.

I'm on FIYAHH!!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

darkstarrynight

Hard act to follow secundem_artem! My spouse graciously introduced me to international standards so I could rename my files for the repository in a systematic way that makes the files easy to identify and in the correct order (by year, volume, issue, article number). It took me more than the hour I blocked off but I got that done today. I keep finding more issues with my past self's scanning and organizing, so I keep bothering my library contact for help to make sure I am ready to go when we upload the files into the repository officially. Hopefully I can get the errors fixed before this month ends since I am trying to simultaneously analyze the data and prepare the repository. It is a bit overwhelming while I return from sabbatical into teaching and service duties, but I still love my project and hope I can get this all done!

Sun_Worshiper

January goals:

• Revise paper #1 (recently rejected) for submission to journal, with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make some progress on paper #3 with colleague - this is actually my most promising project at the moment, so I should prioritize it above the others
  • Tinker with data for possible paper with colleague (I'm skeptical this has legs, but colleague wants to pursue it, so I'll give the data another look with their suggestions)
  • Make progress on new project - book proposal, sabbatical proposal, IRB for summer fieldwork
  • Put together (and hopefully submit) article pitch with colleague for magazine article

Paper 1 is back to colleagues. They are swamped with beginning-of-semester work, so who knows when they'll get to it. I imagine that there will be a flurry of back and forth emails at some point, but for now it is out of my hands.

Paper 2 is done enough and has been sent off for consideration at a major conference. I'll give it some more attention later this month, if time permits, but enough progress has been made for me to mark this off my list for now.

Paper 3 is done for now. We'll present it at a conference in a few months and my coauthor will make some edits in the meantime, but my work is done for the moment.

I've tinkered with the data for possible new paper (item four on my list). The results are pretty meh, but my coauthor wants to give it a go, and it is on them to start writing up the hypothesis development. I know she is very swamped and doesn't have time for this, so it is off my radar for now.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to spend the day working on my new project, hopefully with few interruptions.

I think the magazine pitch should be out by the end of this week as well.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 17, 2023, 11:50:00 AM
Meeting with my co-translator later. Otherwise, just teaching crap.

The teaching stuff will never end.

It sure is nice to be the second partner on a project that's (1) mostly complete before I signed on, and (2) with the other person taking care of the proposal and all the other admin stuff, though!

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 17, 2023, 02:16:15 PM
2 papers accepted this month and a new survey goes into the field tomorrow.

I'm on FIYAHH!!

Wow, nice work!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Mostly teaching stuff, but I will start again on the R&R.
I know it's a genus.