Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by sinenomine, January 01, 2023, 04:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 17, 2023, 05:12:49 PM
January goals:

• Revise paper #1 (recently rejected) for submission to journal, with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make some progress on paper #3 with colleague - this is actually my most promising project at the moment, so I should prioritize it above the others
  • Tinker with data for possible paper with colleague (I'm skeptical this has legs, but colleague wants to pursue it, so I'll give the data another look with their suggestions)
  • Make progress on new project - book proposal, sabbatical proposal, IRB for summer fieldwork
  • Put together (and hopefully submit) article pitch with colleague for magazine article

Spent about four hours today working on book proposal.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 18, 2023, 08:48:32 AM
Mostly teaching stuff, but I will start again on the R&R.

It's a lot easier to respond to R1's concerns (they were incredibly uncharitable and loathed it).
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

More file shuffling, renaming, and emailing the librarian with questions today.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 19, 2023, 07:56:12 AM
R&R today.

Made surprisingly good progress on re-jigging things to address both referees' worries, and to incorporate some new material they suggested.

I also did a tiny bit of translating, and rubber stamped the book proposal for the translation, which my co-translator compiled and will now send off. Modesty prevents me from relating the nice things he wrote about me in the 'about the translators' section.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More R&R work today, and hopefully some teaching stuff.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 20, 2023, 10:27:18 AM
More R&R work today, and hopefully some teaching stuff.

Decent progress.

We also already heard back from the professional society tasked with gatekeeping translations submitted to OUP. They're very enthusiastic and will wholeheartedly recommend it, so that bodes well for the contract.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I went to the library this afternoon and made some PDF edits. That was all I had time for today given other activities scheduled on campus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll do a bit of either the R&R or the translation, plus lotsa teaching crap.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 21, 2023, 09:34:29 AM
I'll do a bit of either the R&R or the translation, plus lotsa teaching crap.

I also did some reviewing for a conference.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Gotta record a lecture. After that, if there's time, guess I should work on the R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

January goals:

• Revise paper #1 (recently rejected) for submission to journal, with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make some progress on paper #3 with colleague - this is actually my most promising project at the moment, so I should prioritize it above the others
  • Tinker with data for possible paper with colleague (I'm skeptical this has legs, but colleague wants to pursue it, so I'll give the data another look with their suggestions)
  • Make progress on new project - book proposal, sabbatical proposal, IRB for summer fieldwork
  • Put together (and hopefully submit) article pitch with colleague for magazine article
  • Revise paper #4 with colleagues (recently rejected) and to submit to next journal

Submitted magazine pitch on Thursday, rejected on Friday. Not sure what is next for this, if anything. It isn't a priority for me, but maybe for my colleague, so I'll leave it to them to make the next steps.

Also, got a rejection yesterday, so that is going on my list - hopefully we can get it back out in February.

Parasaurolophus

Back to the R&R grind, I guess.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 23, 2023, 01:28:21 PM
Back to the R&R grind, I guess.

Think I'm done dealing with R2.

But also: how can the view I target be a straw-man when I show at length that it was and is held by over a dozen prominent figures in the discipline, from the nineteenth century to the present day? I mean, honestly. What more do you want?
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Today I provided brief responses to the publisher's editorial board about my book prospectus. Hopefully that will lead me closer to a meeting?