News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Google Scholar errors

Started by monterio, January 28, 2023, 09:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monterio

For some reason, Google Scholar has recently merged my academic book with a work of crime fiction (same publication year) by an author with the same last name, and now the citations of my book are attached also to the fiction book. My book still appears in my GS profile (with an * next to the citation count), but the book no longer appears in GS searches, except indirectly (e.g., reviews). If you search GS for the crime book, it shows up immediately and with the citations that refer to my book.

I've tried to manually unmerge the two documents, but when I do that, all the citations are left with the crime fiction book. I've written GS support, but I have no clear idea on if or when that will lead to a fix (or if a human reads those emails).

Does anyone out there have any ideas on creative solutions?

monterio

I do like absurd humor, so this situation has its upside. It would be good though if Google could get its act together.

Has anyone else out there encountered GS errors?

sinenomine

Many years ago a colleague published a book with the same title of a recently released and very popular music album. Google conflated the two, and he chuckled at all the free PR it got for him.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

monterio

That's great. Well, I guess that would be something to aspire to next time Google updates its algorithms!

research_prof

I have encountered several GS errors. At the beginning, I was getting upset. Then I got used to it. I have reached to GS support as well, but they did not care. The reason is that Google does not make any money out of GS. As a matter of fact, that was the project of a summer intern several years ago (who I happen to know).