News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research Thread

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2023, 07:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 13, 2023, 10:14:18 AM
The main tasks today are teaching-related, but I'll glance at my R&R and send it in, glance at the proofs again and send them in, and  see what needs changing for the grant application.

Done, done, and started. I'm tempted to significantly rejigger the grant and just request the maximum amount, since they seem to prefer to give it all to a single thing.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

The IT person has ghosted me for two weeks so I am stalled on some of my tasks (I actually asked if hu could show me how to do what is needed rather than have them do it for me, but that did not help). I sent another email today so I hope I hear this week. I plan to get to my repository spreadsheet on Wednesday to keep moving. I did get my first conference proposal accepted based on the sabbatical project and I present next month so I need to keep working on my analysis!

Parasaurolophus

I don't anticipate much research work today, but if I get the chance I should work on the symposium piece, I think.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I bothered my spouse during hu's work day because hu is so helpful with computer stuff. I got stalled on my repository preparation because of a need to copy a zillion filenames from the cloud and I cannot figure out how to seamlessly so I contacted the library for help. My spouse told me hu has Monday off (I do not) so hu will help me with my analysis then since hu wrote me a program to splice some of my spreadsheet. Thus, I continue to procrastinate. I also have not heard anything on the book proposal beyond the publisher is okay with my responses to the additional questions but the editorial board has not made a decision. Now I must exercise some patience!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 14, 2023, 09:51:14 AM
I don't anticipate much research work today, but if I get the chance I should work on the symposium piece, I think.

Didn't get there. I will start today, and start working on a referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 15, 2023, 01:26:06 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 14, 2023, 09:51:14 AM

Didn't get there. I will start today, and start working on a referee report.

Report: Accept!
I know it's a genus.

secundem_artem

How to bungle your way into success.

I've been working on a project for the last couple of years.  It was officially published yesterday.  So far, so good.  But as it turns out, a large federal agency just released a major report that includes similar information sometime in the last week or so.  So my dinky ass little project apparently confirms some of what the feds are saying.  And I now am getting emails from the national media requesting interviews. 

The story of my life - bungling my way into success.  If I actually knew what I was doing, I can only imagine how successful I'd be.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

I was travelling and have had only an hour of sleep, so I expect nothing today. Except that I'll submit the referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 16, 2023, 12:04:23 PM
I was travelling and have had only an hour of sleep, so I expect nothing today. Except that I'll submit the referee report.

Well, I managed that!
I know it's a genus.

traductio

I successfully figured out the syntax in R to create a tibble and then, within it, unnest tokens. This was quite a victory -- I'm a complete neophyte in R (or at least I was until a week or two ago!).

I went upstairs from my basement office to share this exciting development. "I just unnested tokens from my tibble!" I exclaimed.

My 12-year-old daughter, who sharpens her wit against a whetstone, paused, looked at me puzzledly and asked, "Is that just a code word for pooping?"

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on February 17, 2023, 08:31:07 AM
I successfully figured out the syntax in R to create a tibble and then, within it, unnest tokens. This was quite a victory -- I'm a complete neophyte in R (or at least I was until a week or two ago!).

I went upstairs from my basement office to share this exciting development. "I just unnested tokens from my tibble!" I exclaimed.

My 12-year-old daughter, who sharpens her wit against a whetstone, paused, looked at me puzzledly and asked, "Is that just a code word for pooping?"

Well done, the both of you!

Today, I return to that translation.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 17, 2023, 08:59:37 AM
Quote from: traductio on February 17, 2023, 08:31:07 AM

Well done, the both of you!

Today, I return to that translation.

Four pages done. I'm a little rusty, but also had less time than hoped.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

A few more pages of translation today.
I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

Book review submitted a few days ago and article revisions submitted today. Waiting on proofs for another article. Time to start writing a conference paper.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 18, 2023, 08:19:32 AM
A few more pages of translation today.

Six pages in as much time as yesterday. Two a day henceforth should see me to the end in time for the deadline in our proposal. Provided it's accepted, of course.
I know it's a genus.