News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research Thread

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2023, 07:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Quote from: filologos on February 23, 2023, 07:19:23 PM
I never did post my February goals, but today I finally got Chapter 3 off to my advisor. A complete dissertation draft by May is still within reach.

That is awesome!

Parasaurolophus

Today, more symposium, translation quota, maybe a job application.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

February priorities:

• Revise and submit paper #1 (solo, R&R, due mid-February)
  • Revise paper #2 and, if possible, submit to journal (solo, recently rejected)
  • Complete and submit sabbatical proposal
  • Make progress on book proposal and draft
  • Prepare and, if possible, submit IRB to conduct interviews for book project

Items on the backburner:

• Work on proposal for short book project with colleague (this is something I will try to make at least marginal progress on, but can't prioritize it with so many other things going on)
  • Revise paper #3 and, if possible, submit to journal (with colleagues, recently rejected)
  • Paper #4 with colleague (we have a pretty solid draft, but colleague wants to make some edits at their leisure and we'll probably also wait till after an upcoming conference to submit to a journal)
  • Paper #5 with colleague (we submitted a draft to an upcoming conference, but I don't know that either of us has the will to do anything more with it until we get some feedback)
  • Paper #6 with colleagues (I made my revisions so ball in their court now)
  • Paper #7 with colleague (R&R - I don't have time to do much on this in Feb., but it will be a priority next month)

Some good progress on two backburner projects today: proposal for short book project and paper #7.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 24, 2023, 08:22:46 AM
Today, more symposium, translation quota, maybe a job application.

Disasters struck this morning. Did my teaching stuff and met my translation quota, sent in a grant app.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Put in 500 words on the symposium piece. I quite while I was ahead, because I found myself doing something very clever with the framing--clever in a way that hearkens back to some of my earlier (and best) work. So I'll let that simmer for the day.

Translation-wise, I just hit my daily quota.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Just the translation quota plus reading for teaching today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today I need to draft a cover letter for a job app, and do a pile of teaching stuff. Plus my translation quota. It would be nice to work on the symposium piece too, but I doubt I'll manage it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 27, 2023, 10:24:36 AM
Today I need to draft a cover letter for a job app, and do a pile of teaching stuff. Plus my translation quota. It would be nice to work on the symposium piece too, but I doubt I'll manage it.

I sent the application (fingers crossed, it would be a more lucrative side-gig than my main gig), and submitted the co-authored paper for the special issue. As it happened, today co-authored paper 1 was finally published (and tomorrow is my book's official release date). Now for the teaching. Yuck.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 24, 2023, 03:23:37 PM
February priorities:

Items on the backburner:

• Work on proposal for short book project with colleague (this is something I will try to make at least marginal progress on, but can't prioritize it with so many other things going on)
  • Revise paper #3 and, if possible, submit to journal (with colleagues, recently rejected)
  • Paper #4 with colleague (we have a pretty solid draft, but colleague wants to make some edits at their leisure and we'll probably also wait till after an upcoming conference to submit to a journal)
  • Paper #5 with colleague (we submitted a draft to an upcoming conference, but I don't know that either of us has the will to do anything more with it until we get some feedback)
  • Paper #7 with colleague (R&R - I don't have time to do much on this in Feb., but it will be a priority next month)

Some good progress on two backburner projects today: proposal for short book project and paper #7.

More progress on these two backburner projects today and yesterday.

Need to get to the IRB stuff tomorrow.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 27, 2023, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 27, 2023, 10:24:36 AM

I sent the application (fingers crossed, it would be a more lucrative side-gig than my main gig), and submitted the co-authored paper for the special issue. As it happened, today co-authored paper 1 was finally published (and tomorrow is my book's official release date). Now for the teaching. Yuck.

Congrats! That is SO exciting!

I signed the book contract and never had to meet with the publisher (though I had to wait awhile)!
I decided to just randomly show up at the IT person's office today for help with my repository stuff. I need just a few small things before I complete the spreadsheet. This person kindly helped me with a few things but struggled to download files even with a wired connection, so I can only hope they follow up with me tomorrow.
I felt icky last week and totally neglected my data analysis, but I am presenting next month at a conference so I need to get that finalized and start creating my presentation.

February Goals

• Continue analysis on sabbatical project data - getting there, ahhhhh!
  • Work on sabbatical project repository for library - so close!
  • Meet with publisher regarding book proposal

Parasaurolophus

Thanks!

Today, mostly teaching with a sprinkling of the quota and the symposium piece.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 28, 2023, 07:20:33 AM

Today, mostly teaching with a sprinkling of the quota and the symposium piece.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

February priorities:

Items on the backburner:

I made some progress on the IRB today. Tomorrow I hope to get those documents fully in order, put in the travel request to my dean (now a prerequisite for IRB), and then return to the book proposal and draft.

Overall, this was a pretty solid month on the research side, despite being tied up with a lot of other obligations and distractions.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 01, 2023, 07:17:49 AM
February:

• Submit co-authored paper to special issue.
  • Finishing and submit R&R.
  • Work on symposium talk.
  • Work on translation.
  • Submit grant application.
  • Stretch: work on popular-facing chapter.

Not bad! I also submitted a job application and completed a referee report.
I know it's a genus.