Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

March Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, March 01, 2023, 08:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Onwards and forwards!

March goals:

• Finish Symposium piece (ideally in the first week), turn it into a presentation
  • Continue work on translation

Stretch:
  • Write new paper for Special Issue 1

I think that the stretch is just about doable if I can get the Symposium piece more or less ready in the next few days/week.

Today, I have to go into town and run infinite errands, so that will throw me off. I'd like to hit my translation quota, and work on the Symposium piece. But I also need to get a lecture ready to record...
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

March priorities:

• Make progress on book proposal and draft
  • Prepare and submit IRB
  • Work on proposal for short book project with colleague
  • Revise paper #1 and, if possible, resubmit to journal (with colleague, R&R)
  • Revise paper #2 and, if possible, submit to new journal (with colleagues, recently rejected)

Backburner projects:
  • Paper #3 with colleague (getting this off to a journal will be a priority in April)
  • Paper #4 with colleague (submitted to conference)
  • Paper #5 with colleagues (ball in colleagues' courts for now)

darkstarrynight

March Goals

• Continue data analysis from sabbatical project, prepare conference presentation for end of March
  • Finalize library repository
  • Get started on writing book now that contract has been signed!!!
  • Complete conference proposal and manuscript reviews due in March

traductio

Yesterday I learned about a really cool, web-based suite of text-mining software (https://voyant-tools.org/, in case you're curious). I've had to spend all day today reading grad applications and grading papers rather than playing around with this corpus of letters I've been picking apart for a few weeks now. My bribe to myself (I function by bribing myself) is to play around with it this weekend if I can get one section of midterm papers done.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on March 01, 2023, 10:26:27 AM
March priorities:

• Prepare and submit IRB
  • Revise paper #2 and, if possible, submit to new journal (with colleagues, recently rejected)

Backburner projects:
  • Paper #3 with colleague (getting this off to a journal will be a priority in April)

The IRB is ready to submit - just waiting for a quick approval and then I can submit.

I also revised my book proposal for the 100th time.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: traductio on March 01, 2023, 01:31:53 PM
Yesterday I learned about a really cool, web-based suite of text-mining software (https://voyant-tools.org/, in case you're curious). I've had to spend all day today reading grad applications and grading papers rather than playing around with this corpus of letters I've been picking apart for a few weeks now. My bribe to myself (I function by bribing myself) is to play around with it this weekend if I can get one section of midterm papers done.

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 01, 2023, 08:50:25 AM

Today, I have to go into town and run infinite errands, so that will throw me off. I'd like to hit my translation quota, and work on the Symposium piece. But I also need to get a lecture ready to record...

Errands took forever, but at least I finished the lecture and wrote 400 words.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

The April special issue deadline was extended to June, which buys time but prolongs the agony.

Today, I translate.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

The book contract went to the publisher today signed and then the publisher immediately told us it has been acquired. Good times.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on March 01, 2023, 10:26:27 AM
March priorities:

• Prepare and submit IRB

Backburner projects:

I did a little work on short book project proposal today.

Tomorrow I'll travel abroad for an intensive workshop. I've gotten all my research projects to a good place to hand them over to coauthors, so now the balls will be in their courts. If I do find any spare time (which is doubtful, especially since I have ~40 midterms to grade), then I'll work on the book draft.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 02, 2023, 05:04:28 PM
The book contract went to the publisher today signed and then the publisher immediately told us it has been acquired. Good times.

Excellent news!

Today: quota and symposium.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 02, 2023, 05:04:28 PM

Nice!

As for me, I got a bunch of grading done this morning, and I had a long meeting about grad admissions, so now I'm playing around with the text-mining site I found earlier and have been using as a bribe to get through my boring-work this week.

sinenomine

Just cleared out old (like, last century!) files so I can re-organize.

Now it's time to tackle an article that's due mid-May, while waiting on page proofs for two others. After that, a conference paper for July is waiting in the wings.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 03, 2023, 07:53:52 AM

Today: quota and symposium.

I think the symposium bit is basically done. I want to work in a bit more work by the person we're honouring, but otherwise it's a fine something to present.
I know it's a genus.