News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

scam publisher cold calling

Started by sinenomine, March 08, 2023, 09:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

I just got three phone calls within five minutes from what a reverse phone number search revealed to be "Author Reputation Press." Apparently they're trying to part me from my money so they can publicize my book (which was published a decade ago by an academic press). I looked at complaints about them through the Better Business Bureau — sad to see the folks who got scammed.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Just did a search for their name out of curiosity (And have just a couple of odd minutes before going to lunch).  The first result is their own site.  The very next one is the BBB's page of complaints against them.  Wouldn't take much due diligence at all to see that this bunch is bad news!

I skimmed several of the initial complaints.  The gullibility on display is just breathtaking.  Some of these "authors" also give the impression of being barely literate.  I suppose some would be inclined to blame the victims for their ignorance and gullibility, but to me that taking advantage of people's vulnerability only makes the offense that much worse.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Myword

I get calls and voice mail from a print on demand publisher of my novel long ago. A scam  that they want  1000.00 to publicize and print my book.  The caller knows nothing about the book. Ripoff. From the Phillipines, possibly.