Overlapping proposal to multiple agencies (semi-concurrent)

Started by born_a_prof, May 04, 2023, 02:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

How is this looked upon in the STEM academia ? I submitted a proposal to NSF, and 2 months later, a larger proposal to DOD which is a bigger version of NSF proposal with more bells and whistles (to DOD  I disclosed NSF submission and acknowledged overlap). I got unofficial notification that the DOD will be funded, while NSF is still pending. Questions:
1. What should I do ? Sit tight till it is all official and then let NSF know ?
2). How is this looked at NSF ?Will this negatively affect my relationship with NSF PM ?

Any other advice ?

Puget

First, congrats on your DoD grant!

Second, you obviously can't be paid twice for the same work, so you will likely have to pull the NSF grant, unless there are non-overlapping aims and the work would be separate.

The best advice is always to talk to your PO. I can't imagine they'll be upset-- they can fund another proposal instead if they were going to fund yours, you get to do more with the other grant, everyone's happy.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

born_a_prof

Thanks. Yes I mean I intend to not accept NSF money if offered, but when should I tell the NSF PO? Right away, or wait till everything from DoD is official ?

Puget

Quote from: born_a_prof on May 04, 2023, 03:42:43 PM
Thanks. Yes I mean I intend to not accept NSF money if offered, but when should I tell the NSF PO? Right away, or wait till everything from DoD is official ?

Not 100% until you have the NOA in hand- I'd wait till then.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

fizzycist

Congrats on the grant!!

No need to do anything right now.

When notice of award from DoD comes you can decide to either a) pull your NSF grant right away or b) wait until NSF makes a decision and then discuss with your NSF PO. No offense, but probably still most likely outcome is NSF has already been reviewed and eventually it will be declined. If you pull right away you may not get to see reviews.

NSF is a huge org with a revolving door of POs. No need to overthink this based on what one of them might think.

born_a_prof

Quote from: fizzycist on May 05, 2023, 06:11:50 AM
Congrats on the grant!!

No need to do anything right now.

When notice of award from DoD comes you can decide to either a) pull your NSF grant right away or b) wait until NSF makes a decision and then discuss with your NSF PO. No offense, but probably still most likely outcome is NSF has already been reviewed and eventually it will be declined. If you pull right away you may not get to see reviews.

NSF is a huge org with a revolving door of POs. No need to overthink this based on what one of them might think.

Makes sense.