Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 01, 2023, 08:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on June 01, 2023, 08:42:34 AM
I'm hoping to make progress on the following in June:

• Book project #1 - make some progress on interviews, revise/polish chapters 1-3 and proposal
  • Book project #2 with colleague - make progress on conceptual framework and draft of chapter 1 (it would be great to send this off to the editor by the end of the month... we'll see)
  • Paper #1 with colleague - finish and submit to journal
  • Paper #2 with colleague - revise and resubmit to journal
  • Paper #3 with colleague - it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this, but it is lowest priority
  • Revise and resubmit short, non-refereed article to magazine
  • Paper #4 solo - revise and submit to new journal

Article rejected today, so adding it to my list. The reviews were weak and more nitpicky than anything and no red flags, so I'm hoping to get it back out fast.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I need to work on that remaining section, but I really don't feel like it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 06, 2023, 09:39:42 AM
I suppose I need to work on that remaining section, but I really don't feel like it.

Just about done; got to airbrush the argument in a couple places and add the intarwebz citations.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll do the polishing and maybe even start re-formatting the citations.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 07, 2023, 06:33:10 AM
I'll do the polishing and maybe even start re-formatting the citations.

For nd a big crack while polishing, so I started gluing it back together. It'll take a few more days, though.

Also, my April paper was rejected. I'm not surprised, but the report was frustrating. Especially since the paper was limited to a pretty short format (hard limit of 4k words). The concerns identified are not what I would have expected, and don't seem reasonable given the length and topic of the special issue. So now I need to decide whether to keep it for the book, or double its length for the regular journals. Probably the former, I guess.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

• Book project #1 - make some progress on interviews, revise/polish chapters 1-3 and proposal
  • Book project #2 with colleague - make progress on conceptual framework and draft of chapter 1 (it would be great to send this off to the editor by the end of the month... we'll see)
  • Paper #3 with colleague - it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this, but it is lowest priority

I sent paper #4 out today.

Paper #2 is ready to go as well. I'll probably send it off later this week.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on June 02, 2023, 12:07:24 PM
June Goals

• Work on manuscript with goal to submit ASAP
  • After manuscript is submitted, promote library repository
  • Get started on writing book now that contract has been signed!!!

I had an exciting start to the week while on vacation. I submitted the manuscript today, and tomorrow the first article promoting the repository should be out (internal institution newsletter that no one reads in the summer). Yet, I met my goals, so...heck yes! The managing editor for publications at the organization met the new editor with the publisher who is not my first book's editor (whew). The new editor already wrote me a welcome email with relevant documents, and I am meeting with the managing editor in a few weeks to get started on the book.

I am going to add new goals now for the month!

June Goals

• Get started on book manuscript
  • Work on my chapter due 8/1
  • Work on chapter with spouse due 8/1

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll continue the patching up today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 08, 2023, 07:53:03 AM
I suppose I'll continue the patching up today.

Think I'm done. Just have to reformat the citations now. I also worked on my new translation project, which is already 20% done.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll do what I can today on the citation front.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 09, 2023, 08:25:21 AM
I'll do what I can today on the citation front.

Finally, it's all done and dusted. Not the best thing I've produced, but it's okay, and the venue is nothing snazzy, so.

Also translated a bit of my new project.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll have a think about the R&R, and start reading for a referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 10, 2023, 07:37:03 AM
I suppose I'll have a think about the R&R, and start reading for a referee report.

The R&R isn't too bad; most of the fixes are small and cosmetic, really, apart from a few demands for work that would inflate the paper by thousands and thousands of words. I wish referees would pay some attention to that kind of thing. I could write a book on the subject, but this here is an article.

Read the paper for my own report--R&R.

Also did a bit of work on the new translation project.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll try to write up my referee report today, and maybe start in on the R&R.
I know it's a genus.