All Teaching and no Writing makes Jack a dull boy.

Started by Wahoo Redux, August 24, 2019, 04:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

We may actually have the inklings of a writing group forming!  However, our first assignment together was the application materials of the founding member for a job far from our uni.  We were very insightful.   So we may have just hired our writing group out.

It is possible that a research-active colleague could take over, but I imagine any changes to expectations would come with howls of outrage.

A generation turnover might be just the thing-----but the administration is letting the lines die one by one whenever someone gets another job or retires. 

Here's hoping and thanks for the good ideas.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

larryc

I had your job for a dozen years. I was happy, but then I usually am. My wife got a high school teaching job. We did epic road trips in the summer. We wrote grants that funded additional research/fun trips.

And I was oh so ready to leave. We'd talk about where we'd go when we retired and it sure was not there. Lightning struck and I landed a much better job in my favorite city.

But that was a fluke. My plan if we'd stayed was to teach more online, build relationships with better schools in the region to teach the odd grad seminar. We were about to buy a house with a big shop I would have turned into a woodworking workshop.

There are a lot of good things about your situation, and you're making a difference in the world. Few of us end up in the kinds of places we envisioned in grad school. Most of us find happiness anyway. Best of luck.