News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paying an Editor?

Started by Seeker123, August 26, 2019, 05:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker123

Hello all, I have a book under contract with a reputable university press. This is my first book and I am not sure if I should have it edited by a paid editor before I submit it. The UP told me they will edit the entire manuscript, but I am not sure how good of a job they do? Am I wasting my money by paying someone to edit the book before I submit it for final editing by the UP?

mamselle

I've done academic editing.

The questions I'd ask are:
1. Is English your first language? If not, strongly consider it. If so, continue.
2. Do people routinely ask you to explain things you've said or written? If so, strongly consider it. If not, less need.
3. Have many past works had to be revised & resubmitted for style? If so, strongly consider it. If not, less need.
4. Are you in a specialized field, say, pure math, whose terms are clear to practitioners, but not others? As above.
5. Are you writing for a broader audience than usual? If so, strongly consider editing, if not, less need.
6. Do you write inductively (get to the point at the end of a paragraph or section)? Some editing may be useful.
7. Do clarity, causality and chronological order matter in your work, and do you often entangle them? As above.
8. Are your sentences often >10 words, paragraphs >5 sentences? Do your chapters need more breaks? As above.
9. Do you "write long," then trim back? Have pieces been rejected for length? Do you need references or indexing?

If any 3 of these apply, you might want to send a test chapter to an editor, and see if it moves the work forward

Just some tests to consider.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Seeker123

Thank you for the detailed reply. I guess my question is more about the kind of editing that university presses do. Is it usually detailed and excellent editing? If so I don't need to pay someone before submission. If not I will consider it. My writing is generally good but I find it helpful to have it edited for a cleaner final version.

Hegemony

It is much better to develop the skills to do it yourself.  Then with your next one, you will write it more smoothly and clearly the first time.  The press will not edit for smoothness, clarity, etc., but the reviewers will point out what needs to be changed.  Learn to scrutinize it and change it yourself.  Your writing and your career will be the better for it.

mamselle

Quote from: Hegemony on August 27, 2019, 05:28:23 AM
It is much better to develop the skills to do it yourself.  Then with your next one, you will write it more smoothly and clearly the first time.  The press will not edit for smoothness, clarity, etc., but the reviewers will point out what needs to be changed.  Learn to scrutinize it and change it yourself.  Your writing and your career will be the better for it.

I would generally agree, except that some good, topical academic editors will also function as coaches, helping you refine your style and way of thinking about your work. I think everyone needs at least one such experience and many don't get it any other way.

But that's also why I listed the decision tree options above. If 3 or more of those are things you struggle with, it might be good to get some help to start with, then go on by yourself after you've fledged.

Finally, though, as Hegemony notes, you want to become your own best editor.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

euro_trash

If your workload is crushing I'd do it for sure.
spork in 2014: "It's a woe-is-me echo chamber."

niceday in 2011: "Euro_trash is blinded by his love for Endnote"

I'm kind of a hippy, love nature and my kids, and am still a believer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4BPPaaoKc