News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Creating A Strategy: Book or a Few More Articles?

Started by Hopeful39, October 16, 2019, 04:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopeful39

I am three years post doc and have three articles published in peer reviewed publications and three chapters. I am currently working on an additional article. I am trying to establish myself at a R1 university as an Assist Prof. Once I have completed the current article, I was not sure if I should publish one more and then write a book or begin immediately writing a book. I truly want to write a book, but thinking it might be best to write a book based on/as an extension to my current research (which would be the article that I will begin working once I have completed my current project to which I am second author). In short, is there a sweet spot in your career for writing a book?

Parasaurolophus

I think it varies by field. In mine, I think it's fair to say that people usually write their first books as associate professors, and transition to mostly books once they're full profs at an elite R1. Every once in a while someone off the TT writes a book in order to look even more competitive for jobs; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I haven't a clue whether that's true for you, though. How does six articles compare to other people on the market (or on the TT at R1s in your field, if that's your situation--I wasn't quite sure)? Could you do both simultaneously--i.e. start work on the article, and start work on the book?

Others who are wiser and way more experienced than I am might well have a different take, but my impression--absent further information!--is that seven articles is probably enough to tide you over a while as you start work on the book. I would worry that putting off the book for another article is a recipe for long-term or perpetual procrastination on the book project (that's been the case for me!). At the same time, once you start working on the book, I think it would be good if you had an article project or two on the go as well, so that you've got a steady stream of stuff under review even while you're focusing primarily on the book, and for once it's under review.
I know it's a genus.

aside

Yes, as Parasaurolophus says, this will vary by field.  It also varies by institution.  I'm not certain from your post if you have an AP position at an R1, or are trying to land one.  If you already have a position, your colleagues there can best answer your question. 

Hopeful39

Thanks for your feedback! Makes sense. I am trying to land at an R1. I am currently at a teaching university. It's interesting. In my field, I think it might vary by institution. Some tenured faculty in my field have tons of books and minimal articles and others, vice versa.

Hegemony

Look at the CVs of the people in your field you would most like to be, at the universities were you would most like to be employed, and choose whichever route they chose. 

polly_mer

Quote from: Hegemony on October 17, 2019, 04:31:58 AM
Look at the CVs of the people in your field you would most like to be, at the universities were you would most like to be employed, and choose whichever route they chose.

This is usually good advice.  I will add that you need to look at what people have done recently; the clear path from 20 years ago may not be the clear path today.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nonntt

Quote from: Hopeful39 on October 16, 2019, 04:15:06 PM
I am three years post doc and have three articles published in peer reviewed publications and three chapters. I am currently working on an additional article. I am trying to establish myself at a R1 university as an Assist Prof. Once I have completed the current article, I was not sure if I should publish one more and then write a book or begin immediately writing a book. I truly want to write a book, but thinking it might be best to write a book based on/as an extension to my current research (which would be the article that I will begin working once I have completed my current project to which I am second author). In short, is there a sweet spot in your career for writing a book?

A seventh article is only marginally better than six articles. A book, even a book merely in progress or under contract, is a huge step forward from no book. If you're in a book field, start on the book.

The good news is that book projects tend to spin off articles along the way, so you're likely to end up with both a book and more articles.

pedanticromantic

An R1? 3 journal articles? Are they super top tier? Maybe you can tell us your field. This wouldn't land an interview where I am in my field.

professing

Are you in the social sciences or humanities?

If you are in the humanities, I know plenty of folks at R1s (or R1 hopefuls) who aim to publish at least 1 book (usually 2 are best before tenure). If you are an R1 hopeful, then showing you have a book contract with a top press is often desirable.

If you are in *most* social science fields, articles are preferred (it depends which field though), and it is typically somewhere in the realm of 15+/-, many of which are in top journals, and most of which you are first or sole author of, before tenure. The sciences are a bit different and vary as well.

I have also known of folks who have made the move from non-R1 to R1, particularly if they stand out in the field in some way. Depending on how many years you are from your degree (and which field), you could be notable with a few articles, or even a book contract.

Hopeful39

Thank you all! My new strategy will be to finish my current research study (by December) and begin the second (by Jan), since I was going to use the second as a grounded theory study to create a theoretical framework that can be used in the book. As I complete the second study, I will begin my book proposal. That way, I can work on both simultaneously. Now, I just need to figure out how to best prepare a book proposal and strategy to getting it to publishers. Hahahah. **Ahhh the life of a junior faculty member...**

Professing - I am in the social sciences.

professing

Quote from: Hopeful39 on October 19, 2019, 01:16:28 PM
Hahahah. **Ahhh the life of a junior faculty member...**

Professing - I am in the social sciences.

Okay, best of luck! I feel for you as a fellow pre-tenure faculty member. I am also in the social sciences.

Unless your field specifically indicates books pre-tenure are desired, I would encourage you to focus on articles. Sometimes books could actually hurt you pre-tenure if you are in a specific field. (I know, it seems weird.) From what I understand, some fields consider certain things to be "icing"... (I speak with experience as someone who has a book.) In my field, books are just that. If you have the necessary amount of journal pubs, books make you stand out, but books without the necessary pubs will certainly hurt your tenure at an R1. However, if you are at an R2 or other, it may get you tenure.

Best advice would be to consult with senior faculty in your field whom you trust, review who has gotten tenure in your field at your institution and what their CVs looked like pre-tenure, and ask other mentors / colleagues from comparable universities in your field...

pedanticromantic

Quote from: professing on October 20, 2019, 05:32:30 PM

Unless your field specifically indicates books pre-tenure are desired, I would encourage you to focus on articles. Sometimes books could actually hurt you pre-tenure if you are in a specific field. (I know, it seems weird.) From what I understand, some fields consider certain things to be "icing"... (I speak with experience as someone who has a book.) In my field, books are just that. If you have the necessary amount of journal pubs, books make you stand out, but books without the necessary pubs will certainly hurt your tenure at an R1. However, if you are at an R2 or other, it may get you tenure.

Best advice would be to consult with senior faculty in your field whom you trust, review who has gotten tenure in your field at your institution and what their CVs looked like pre-tenure, and ask other mentors / colleagues from comparable universities in your field...

I agree. Talking to some senior folks who have been on search committees recently will help you get a sense of what you need. (CVs too). I don't think a book is the best bet for a social sciences person, but it may depend on the field.
My rule of thumb is always focus on high quality journal articles, because those are valued in every field.