News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

It has been a busy and stressful day.  I am glad that there were posts to this thread!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Puget on September 29, 2021, 02:56:01 PM
The cats are exceedingly pleased about the return of the down comforter to the bed and the throw blanket to the couch. They will be even more pleased by the eventual return of the gas fireplace.

Those are some comfy kitties!

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's kitty marathon time. Youngest evil cat has the zoomies. She bounces off the door frame and over the gate and just makes the room shake when she lands. Sheesh!

mamselle

Just think if you had otters...they do backflips and 'tornadoes' in the bathtub...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiBr46IEBSE

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Quote from: smallcleanrat on September 29, 2021, 03:57:17 PM
The cats are exceedingly pleased about the return of the down comforter to the bed and the throw blanket to the couch. They will be even more pleased by the eventual return of the gas fireplace.

Previous Cat loved to lie on the bricks under the wood stove in the winter. Warmth above and below. 

mamselle

I'm also getting out the extra blankets and checking the windows to be sure the insulation layers are intact and in place.

A kitten at my toes would be most welcome on cold nights in bed.

I do miss. that.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: Harlow2 on September 30, 2021, 07:16:41 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on September 29, 2021, 03:57:17 PM

Previous Cat loved to lie on the bricks under the wood stove in the winter. Warmth above and below.

Our cat when I was a kid did this too. Sometimes her fur got almost too hot to touch but apparently there was no such thing as too warm as far as she was concerned!

The gas stove really only puts out heat through the front, so my current pair camp out in front rather than under it. They have a pair of cat baskets there, but Little Calico strongly prefers to lie on top of my feet on the footrest whenever possible, which also puts her level with the glass stove door where all the heat comes out.  She knows what she wants and she isn't afraid to meow piteously at me to get it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Puget

It was a cool and rainy day and I got my flu shot and was feeling a bit chilled when I got home from work, so decided to turn the gas fire on for the first time this season. Little Calico has clearly not forgotten the beep the remote makes-- as soon as she herd it she came running and circled between me and the stove chirping frantically until the fire came on. She's now stretched on the chair beside me staring into the flames and purring. I think the theory that cats domesticated themselves by sidling up to the camp fire seems highly plausible.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on October 04, 2021, 04:41:18 PM
It was a cool and rainy day and I got my flu shot and was feeling a bit chilled when I got home from work, so decided to turn the gas fire on for the first time this season. Little Calico has clearly not forgotten the beep the remote makes-- as soon as she herd it she came running and circled between me and the stove chirping frantically until the fire came on. She's now stretched on the chair beside me staring into the flames and purring. I think the theory that cats domesticated themselves by sidling up to the camp fire seems highly plausible.

How cute!

Larimar

The ginormous cat tree/kitty condo that we ordered for the Larimar cats arrived today!

It's really tall, and covered in nice soft cream-colored fuzzy fabric. It has several perches, lots of scratching-post pillars, one hideaway, and two dangling objects, one ball, one mouse-shaped, for them to bat around.

Best. Thing. Ever.

All four kitties were climbing on it before Mr. Larimar and I even finished assembling it.

Even Calico, who can be rather timid about exploring new things, went for it. In fact, she was the first to climb on it. HerMajesty took possession of the hideaway, while Twerp went for the highest perch. Orange guy climbed all over and probably was the first one to visit every perch.

They love it! I'm happy!

Larimar

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on October 04, 2021, 05:02:46 PM
The ginormous cat tree/kitty condo that we ordered for the Larimar cats arrived today!

It's really tall, and covered in nice soft cream-colored fuzzy fabric. It has several perches, lots of scratching-post pillars, one hideaway, and two dangling objects, one ball, one mouse-shaped, for them to bat around.

Best. Thing. Ever.

All four kitties were climbing on it before Mr. Larimar and I even finished assembling it.

Even Calico, who can be rather timid about exploring new things, went for it. In fact, she was the first to climb on it. HerMajesty took possession of the hideaway, while Twerp went for the highest perch. Orange guy climbed all over and probably was the first one to visit every perch.

They love it! I'm happy!

Larimar

Yay! We have a bunch of cedar we bought to build a cat tree + hammock, but we haven't got around to it yet...

onehappyunicorn

Quote from: Larimar on October 04, 2021, 05:02:46 PM

Best. Thing. Ever.

They love it! I'm happy!

Larimar

We have something very similar, it is one of the few pieces of furniture that came with us on our last move. Now it's about 7-8 years old and the cats are still sleeping on it every day. We need to replace the scratching post materials and the dangling objects are long gone but it has held up really well.

AmLitHist

Kid #1 has two barn cats at the farmhouse she's renting. Waffles (girl) showed up last summer, and Fuzz (boy) arrived this spring. They've become great friends, and she's shown him the ropes of how to cat. They've hunted all summer; even in the heat, there have been small birds, mice, and the occasional skink or lizard.

Last week their prey was some sort of large black/dark bird (from all the dark feathers on the back porch). I initially thought it was probably a grackle or starling, but as I think about it, I wouldn't put it past the two of them to have taken down a crow. They're pretty fierce for a couple of furballs!

(They left the heart for the Kid. They weren't impressed.)

AvidReader

AmLitHist, that bodes well for mousing this winter!

Puget, I don't think our cats have ever seen fire, but now I really hope they can!

AR.

OneMoreYear

Hubby is having a health flare and is weak. Ninja has appropriately determined that her role is to sleep next to him on the bed.  Ricochet does not yet participate in human caregiving. However, she was unexpectedly interested in the dark chocolate ensure I am forcing him to drink to get some calories in him. Seriously, the cat will only eat one type of cat food and refuses treats 99% of the time. But, she kept jumping on the side table and sticking her nose in the glass.  Now that the glass is empty, she has retreated through her wormhole again to reemerge sometime tonight when it is safer.