News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A crazy quilt for a life...

Started by mamselle, December 14, 2022, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

lillipat

Mamselle, I'm so terribly saddened to hear your news, and I join the other members of the Fora community in hoping and praying that your prognosis will end up better than you suspect.  You truly have been a light to many in this academic and intellectual pond, and your idea of a legacy site for unfinished research is very much what I would expect you to come up with.  As we stand on the shoulders of the giants who mentored us and fostered our curiosity, it's a wonderful idea to leave stepping-stones for future scholars whom we don't know but who surely exist and will exist.

waterboy

I'm sorry to hear this. As (mostly) a lurker, I was always glad to see Mamselle's quiet and encouraging take on things.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Parasaurolophus

Je suis désolé. Courage, mamselle!
I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

So sorry, Mamselle. I've always enjoyed reading your posts as a fellow medievalist.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

permanent imposter

No pity here as requested, but I teared up reading this. I lurk mostly on this forum but I, too, have greatly enjoyed your posts, mamselle. They just have such a gentle tone and I like how you often start off talking about one thing but meander into other thoughts about your life experiences, your students, your research. Evidence of a life well-lived and richly felt. You will be missed and I'm sure I speak for many other lurkers. And I love the idea you came up with and will be happy to help with financial/organizational aspects.

thundercloud

Mamselle, I've thought for the longest time that you're super cool, with such a broad base of experience and knowledge to share. Even now you're thinking of how to help others. Your news makes me wish that I had engaged in online conversations with you instead of just lurking for years here and on the old CHE fora. I hope that you'll receive more positive news than you believe possible and that you'll be able to overcome the difficulties immediately ahead (no doubt with much grace, as always).

kaysixteen

I am sorry to hear this, mamselle.   I shall pray for your strength and, hopefully, recovery.

cathwen

Mamselle, I am so very sorry to read your news.  Like so many others, I will miss your insightful contributions to the fora.  I will keep you in my prayers.

apl68

Continuing prayer for you.  And thanks for everything you have done at The Fora, and may still do in the months to come.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ciao_yall

So sorry to hear, but thank you for sharing this news with us.

Harlow2

I'm so, so sorry, and deeply saddened. In addition to the research piece, if it makes sense please let us know how we can best be useful to you right now. At nearly 8400 posts and counting you've been one of the columns holding these fora together. Plus one to super cool.

paultuttle

Mamselle, I just saw this. I'd like to echo what others have said: You've added immeasurably to this space and this community, and I really hope your next news is nowhere as negative as you feel it may be.

With admiration and great respect for you, as well as continuing prayers on your behalf . . . .

Volhiker78

I am sorry to hear the news. Thank you for always being a calming presence in this fora.  I wish you strength and peace in the upcoming year.

fleabite

Mamselle, I am very sorry to hear your news. I have admired your enthusiasm for your work and the ways you have found to share it with others (those cemetery tours you have mentioned sound great). You have also been one of the most important contributors to these fora, encouraging others and helping to keep the dialogue on a friendly note. I hope your prognosis will be better than anticipated. Best of luck.