When you realize you don’t want job, but still need reimbursement ...

Started by Vkw10, October 24, 2020, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

From "Red flags indicating you shouldn't take the job" on the ""Job search & interviews" board, a new game:
Quote from: writingprof on October 23, 2020, 05:23:05 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on October 23, 2020, 05:11:56 PM
Some universities don't reimburse if they offer job and you turn them down. Yes, that's a red flag. Grit your teeth, smile agreeably, and ask the questions that make them not offer the job if you realize that you don't want the job but still need reimbursement.

A list of those questions could be its own hilarious thread.  "Will the department secretary help me with my colostomy bag?"  "May I teach all of my classes on Tuesday evenings?"  "Do the College Republicans need a faculty sponsor?"

How many classes can I cancel in a semester?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

polly_mer

How frequently can I choose a new lover from among the students?  Am I limited to one per course per term?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

writingprof

"I need to be paid in cash. Is that a problem?"

"Senior administrators are chosen by the faculty, right?"

science.expat

Can I do all my teaching online from another state while you arrange for a colleague to cover my laboratory classes?

aside

I'll need a salary 50% above the average for my rank to consider this position.

polly_mer

What is the policy on how large a percentage of the grade can be cash-based extra credit?

What is the policy on how large a percentage of the grade can be chore-based extra credit?

How close to the campus is the nearest car wash?  Dry cleaner?

Vkw10

Can I get an office on North Campus, so people won't interrupt my work?

Can I have an office with a southern exposure, so my plants get enough light?

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

polly_mer

What will be done to ensure that my courses always fill so I don't end up with some gen ed course that no one wants to teach?

How many maternity leaves can I take before going up for tenure?  Is seven too many?

San Joaquin

polly_mer

What is housing like here for students?  Do faculty supplement their salaries by being landlords to students in tiny houses in the backyard?

OneMoreYear

These "service requirements," those are really just for show right?   I mean, nobody really does any work on those committees, right?

Also, yeah, I see that after the staff layoffs this year that all of you all share an "administrative assistant." Yeah, that's not going to work for me. Who would I need to talk to get my own secretary?

polly_mer

What's the dress code here?  Do I have to wear pants if I'm teaching fully online for everything?

Say, can I teach fully online for everything for the first three years with at most 2 new preps during that time?

aside

polly_mer

How long do I have to work here before I can get something called 'tennurrey'?

How about if I pass you a cool hundred bucks?  How long then?

apl68

How long is it necessary to work in this state before becoming eligible to draw unemployment?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.