News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

mamselle, snowshoes wouldn't help as the quagmire was due to repeated flooding. I think one would just sink into the muck the way one gets sucked into quicksand. The AAA guy had suggestions for draining this particular area where visitors usually park. It snowed the next couple of days, but I think a good freeze would take care of the problem as long as the temps are below freezing. I made sure to park a long distance away so that I didn't have to ask AAA to pull the car out a second time.

With all the excitement this morning, including the incident when the AAA guy honked but left before I could get to the front door, I just realized that I hadn't eaten all day. The AAA guy had the wrong phone number hence the honking and my having to call AAA again. That was sorted out, got the battery, got groceries, and now am well-fed. On with the neglected grading.

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 01, 2021, 12:12:18 PM
mamselle, snowshoes wouldn't help as the quagmire was due to repeated flooding. I think one would just sink into the muck the way one gets sucked into quicksand. The AAA guy had suggestions for draining this particular area where visitors usually park. It snowed the next couple of days, but I think a good freeze would take care of the problem as long as the temps are below freezing. I made sure to park a long distance away so that I didn't have to ask AAA to pull the car out a second time.

With all the excitement this morning, including the incident when the AAA guy honked but left before I could get to the front door, I just realized that I hadn't eaten all day. The AAA guy had the wrong phone number hence the honking and my having to call AAA again. That was sorted out, got the battery, got groceries, and now am well-fed. On with the neglected grading.

Glad to hear that the crisis has been resolved.  And that AAA was able to come through.

Sounds like that parking area is problematic.  The worst parking area I know of is one at Alma Mater that is located in the bottom of a ravine.  It's a proper paved, striped area--and it flash-floods at least once per decade.  I've heard of people quite literally having to swim to their cars.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 01, 2021, 12:12:18 PM

Ah. Got it.

I was picturing ice floes and snow-swamps....

Glad you're out!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Sounds like that parking area is problematic.

It was the ginormous front yard of a house. I don't envy them as they were beginning to get concerned about their long driveway. This year's rains appear to have wreaked a lot of havoc on a lot of properties. The hosts at the Thanksgiving dinner were showing me where after heavy rains the rivulets would make their way alongside their house and then across the street on their way downhill on the other side of the street.

apl68

Last night I was having the best night's sleep I had had all week long.  Then, a little after four a.m., I was awakened by the neighbors' dogs.  These are the same dogs that make it impossible for me to enjoy a quiet afternoon in mild weather reading in my back yard, as they object loudly to my presence every time they see me.  We have many other noisy dogs in the neighborhood, but these are the worst I've ever seen.  It would be an exaggeration to say that they bark ALL the time, because it's physically impossible for animals to make noise 24/7.  But there is no time day or night when they are not liable to disturb the peace.

I gave up trying to sleep for the final hour and a half of my sleep time, got up, and went for my long morning walk in the dark just to get away from the noise.  All the neighborhood's other noisy dogs were still asleep.  Then I went in to work early.  I hope that by taking a longer lunch than normal and getting a nap then (if they dogs can manage to be quiet enough around that time) I can get through the whole work day and have enough energy to accomplish what I need to accomplish.  Meanwhile I've spent this whole not-very-restful-or-productive week thinking about the fact that Saturday we have a special event that will require a long, long day, after a five-day work week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Harlow2

Quote from: apl68 on December 03, 2021, 06:47:07 AM
Last night I was having the best night's sleep I had had all week long.  Then, a little after four a.m., I was awakened by the neighbors' dogs.  These are the same dogs that make it impossible for me to enjoy a quiet afternoon in mild weather reading in my back yard, as they object loudly to my presence every time they see me.  We have many other noisy dogs in the neighborhood, but these are the worst I've ever seen.  It would be an exaggeration to say that they bark ALL the time, because it's physically impossible for animals to make noise 24/7.  But there is no time day or night when they are not liable to disturb the peace.

I gave up trying to sleep for the final hour and a half of my sleep time, got up, and went for my long morning walk in the dark just to get away from the noise.  All the neighborhood's other noisy dogs were still asleep.  Then I went in to work early.  I hope that by taking a longer lunch than normal and getting a nap then (if they dogs can manage to be quiet enough around that time) I can get through the whole work day and have enough energy to accomplish what I need to accomplish.  Meanwhile I've spent this whole not-very-restful-or-productive week thinking about the fact that Saturday we have a special event that will require a long, long day, after a five-day work week.

I finally broke down and got good noise-canceling headphones.  They are miraculous.

ab_grp

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 03, 2021, 09:38:14 AM
Quote from: apl68 on December 03, 2021, 06:47:07 AM

I finally broke down and got good noise-canceling headphones.  They are miraculous.

I use bluetooth headphones that are in a soft headband, and they are a live saver.  I have a white noise track on repeat that I listen to.  And I also wear industrial-strength ear plugs!

clean

QuoteLast night I was having the best night's sleep I had had all week long.  Then, a little after four a.m., I was awakened by the neighbors' dogs.  These are the same dogs that make it impossible for me to enjoy a quiet afternoon in mild weather reading in my back yard, as they object loudly to my presence every time they see me.  We have many other noisy dogs in the neighborhood, but these are the worst I've ever seen.  It would be an exaggeration to say that they bark ALL the time, because it's physically impossible for animals to make noise 24/7.  But there is no time day or night when they are not liable to disturb the peace.

I discussed the issue with my neighbor.  After he replied, "Its a dog.  They bark" I sent a complaint to Code Enforcement.  They got a certified letter from the county and the noise calmed down a lot, but the neighbor has been even more of an ass ever since.

(IF you remember Green Acres, Lisa Douglas is holding a similar dog in the opening theme song.  The dog used to belong to one of the neighbor's mothers, and wanted to be INSIDE.  The dog would sit at the back door and bark and bark and bark.  It was louder than my TV and  I can only imagine how THEY could ignore it!)

Anyway, IF you have a similar code enforcement department, you may be able to submit a complaint online. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Quote from: clean on December 03, 2021, 11:17:41 AM
QuoteLast night I was having the best night's sleep I had had all week long.  Then, a little after four a.m., I was awakened by the neighbors' dogs.  These are the same dogs that make it impossible for me to enjoy a quiet afternoon in mild weather reading in my back yard, as they object loudly to my presence every time they see me.  We have many other noisy dogs in the neighborhood, but these are the worst I've ever seen.  It would be an exaggeration to say that they bark ALL the time, because it's physically impossible for animals to make noise 24/7.  But there is no time day or night when they are not liable to disturb the peace.

I discussed the issue with my neighbor.  After he replied, "Its a dog.  They bark" I sent a complaint to Code Enforcement.  They got a certified letter from the county and the noise calmed down a lot, but the neighbor has been even more of an ass ever since.

(IF you remember Green Acres, Lisa Douglas is holding a similar dog in the opening theme song.  The dog used to belong to one of the neighbor's mothers, and wanted to be INSIDE.  The dog would sit at the back door and bark and bark and bark.  It was louder than my TV and  I can only imagine how THEY could ignore it!)

Anyway, IF you have a similar code enforcement department, you may be able to submit a complaint online.

I could report this as a nuisance, but I'm deeply reluctant to do so for fear of damaging relations with the neighbors.  He's a disabled man who lives with his son.  The humans are as quiet as you could wish.  I've met them and had a nice chat with them.  Haven't had much contact in a long time because they've been keeping very much to themselves, likely because he has reason to take all possible precautions against COVID, and I've tried to respect that by not imposing myself on them.  I did try to pay a neighborly visit the other day, but could not get them to answer the door.  I'd hate for our next interaction to be me complaining about the dogs.

clean

Do you have his phone number? 

IF dogs are barking in the middle of the night, you could be a concerned neighbor and call him to ask if all is ok, ... did his 'guard dogs' alert to some problem you should know about or help with?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Oh, hell, this is all about property rights. They may be well or badly regulated by your local government:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter7-4.html

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

AmLitHist

Walking into work yesterday--just walking down the hall, no stumble, no rolled ankle, just a normal step on the carpeted level floor--my foot went, "POP!" like a gunshot.  I immediately stopped and looked to see what I'd stepped on. There was nothing in sight, except a guy sitting in a chair studying, who asked me, "Are you OK, ma'am?" with a panicked look. I said, "I think so," and proceeded toward my office with a sharp pain in my heel and along the left side of my foot.

In the afternoon, I mentioned it to my internist in an already-scheduled check-in visit, and he said, "You ruptured your plantar fascia" (which matched all the Dr. Google searches I'd done as soon as I'd hobbled to my office earlier in the day).  Apparently I've finally lived up to what I've always suspected: I really can injure myself just walking across the floor.

I'm so aggravated, I could scream.  At least it seems that the treatment is rest and booting the foot, plus maybe a custom orthotic (i.e., surgery is only rarely needed). For now I'm staying off it and icing; I'm going to commandeer the hard ortho boot ALHS just got out of, following his most recent foot surgery, so I can go to work one last time tomorrow (and hope I don't do anything else to hurt myself in the process). So it could be a lot worse, but. . . SIGH.

mamselle

Not fun.

It does go away, I've had it twice; diet and exercise and weight loss help, there's also a nifty kind of little elasticized sock that CVS has that helps support the foot and has open toes and heels so circulation isn't affected.

Thinking of you...at least you're not trying to do galliards (jumped Renaissance dance steps) as I was the second time....

M.

waterboy

I sympathize with random injuries. I sprained my back just rolling over in bed.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."