Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Venting-in-advance....

Was anyone affected by this?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/09/how-the-aws-outage-wreaked-havoc-across-the-us.html

I recall somewhere, on some thread or other, someone's students were kicked off their exams peremptorily...wondering if this was the issue...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Mamselle, my daughter also had issues taking one of her finals due to that outage.  It was a bit up in the air for a while, but she finally got it done after the scheduled window, though not all the questions rendered correctly.  I know it caused quite a lot of problems for profs and students alike.  Not great timing!

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on December 09, 2021, 08:44:50 AM
Venting-in-advance....

Was anyone affected by this?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/09/how-the-aws-outage-wreaked-havoc-across-the-us.html

I recall somewhere, on some thread or other, someone's students were kicked off their exams peremptorily...wondering if this was the issue...

M.

That was me commenting on an experience last year-- not related, it was a local server failure.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 08, 2021, 11:49:06 AM
Walking into work yesterday--just walking down the hall, no stumble, no rolled ankle, just a normal step on the carpeted level floor--my foot went, "POP!" like a gunshot.  I immediately stopped and looked to see what I'd stepped on. There was nothing in sight, except a guy sitting in a chair studying, who asked me, "Are you OK, ma'am?" with a panicked look. I said, "I think so," and proceeded toward my office with a sharp pain in my heel and along the left side of my foot.

In the afternoon, I mentioned it to my internist in an already-scheduled check-in visit, and he said, "You ruptured your plantar fascia" (which matched all the Dr. Google searches I'd done as soon as I'd hobbled to my office earlier in the day).  Apparently I've finally lived up to what I've always suspected: I really can injure myself just walking across the floor.

I'm so aggravated, I could scream.  At least it seems that the treatment is rest and booting the foot, plus maybe a custom orthotic (i.e., surgery is only rarely needed). For now I'm staying off it and icing; I'm going to commandeer the hard ortho boot ALHS just got out of, following his most recent foot surgery, so I can go to work one last time tomorrow (and hope I don't do anything else to hurt myself in the process). So it could be a lot worse, but. . . SIGH.

So sorry, ALH.

AmLitHist

Thanks for the good wishes, all.  It still just amazes me.  My internist said, "The podiatrist will boot it and put you on crutches," and I just gave him The Look.  Are you freakin' kidding me?  I hurt myself taking a normal step on a flat floor with no obstacles; I'm such a cow to start with, I'd likely half-kill myself on crutches! 

At least I can still laugh at myself. Ow.

Mamselle, about the AWS outage:  our students had a lot of problems with accessing our libraries' various databases (and of course, the course of record Comp I classes all had mandated research for the final essay be drawn from only a small selection of databases, none of which worked).  The problem got resolved, but it seems to have started up again yesterday/this morning, per our librarians;  not sure if it's the same issue or a new one. It would be way too easy to have a semester end without any tech hiccups.

clean

wrapping things up so that I can travel to visit my parents (first time in a year!!).

Mowed the back yard today and found that some critter has decided that I am a toilet. 
Fortunately, I am on my way out of town, so no need to set up the game cameras to figure out what is shitting all over my back yard, so that I can decide the best bait for the game trap.  (Have a Heart brand).  But no time to do the preliminary work, or deal wih taking the critter to the Humane society. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ergative

Quote from: clean on December 14, 2021, 04:21:20 PM
wrapping things up so that I can travel to visit my parents (first time in a year!!).

Mowed the back yard today and found that some critter has decided that I am a toilet. 
Fortunately, I am on my way out of town, so no need to set up the game cameras to figure out what is shitting all over my back yard, so that I can decide the best bait for the game trap.  (Have a Heart brand).  But no time to do the preliminary work, or deal wih taking the critter to the Humane society.

Here's hoping it's something fun, like a Florida panther, and not something boring, like a stray cat.

clean

QuoteHere's hoping it's something fun, like a Florida panther, and not something boring, like a stray cat.

I hope it is a panther too!  That would be too big for my trap, and that would save me a lot of time!
I suspect cat, but there is no attempt to bury any of it.  But it seems to be a well fed cat! 

I have set up a game camera, so when I get back I hope to have it identified with a picture of it 'in the act!"

But I dont have a lot of hope for that.  My game cameras are old and I dont know that they are working anymore.  It took quite a while to get one set up again, and I dont know that it was operating, but I didnt have the patience to check, and I still have to pack the car and get on the road. (bride is showering... but as the car isnt packed, she may want another one after for fear of being sweaty on the trip!)

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Zebras? If so, they won't be bothering you anymore.

Langue_doc

Just found an obscene text on my phone. Eww! I wish someone whacks that person's you-know-what. Gross!

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 16, 2021, 11:01:30 AM
Just found an obscene text on my phone. Eww! I wish someone whacks that person's you-know-what. Gross!

All good thoughts to take away the bad ones.

M.

Langue_doc

Quote from: mamselle on December 16, 2021, 12:56:23 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on December 16, 2021, 11:01:30 AM

All good thoughts to take away the bad ones.

M.

Thanks, mamselle. Now, if you have a magic wand to make the increasing numbers of cases just go down, that would make my day.

mamselle

I"m out of magic wands, sorry....I think that might be Dr. Fauci's department...

;--}

M. 

clean

Damn IRB

I have expected a reminder email so that I will have instructions to continue my research, which I had hoped to be accepted for publication, but was rejected.  Instead of a reminder with instructions to extend, I get notification that it is now closed and that I have to resubmit the work before I can do anything more on the research!

Others have complained about the IRB lately, and frankly I agree!  There are so many issues now that they are not making sure  that research is conducted appropriately, but rather that to make Damn Sure that no violations are made, they just make it impossible to do even survey work! 

I guess that my retirement date will be sooner than later!