Author Topic: The Tax Man Cometh!  (Read 6609 times)

pgher

Re: The Tax Man Cometh!
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2022, 05:11:36 PM »
My eldest is about to graduate college. They have a job lined up. They filed their OWN taxes this year. Finally an adult! And off my payroll.

Anon1787

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »
A PIN to set up an account arrived in the mail last night so I can file my state income tax return electronically. Filing a state return can be as much a PITA as filing a federal return.

namazu

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2022, 10:46:50 PM »
After some hassle involving two-factor authentication not working properly and then some drama involving tripping over a laptop cord and breaking the laptop screen, our taxes (federal, state, and local) are all filed.  Whew!

paultuttle

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2022, 09:10:32 AM »
I knocked my laptop onto the floor in the middle of going through the TurboTax screens (I'm somewhat clumsy when I get up to get a glass of water, apparently). There was a pretty big clatter and some choice words that I can't repeat here, but nothing was broken.

My laptop didn't even lose its Internet connection. I went right on and SHAZAM! clicked "submit" 15-20 minutes later.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:12:45 AM by paultuttle »

clean

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2022, 04:15:16 PM »
I have taken all of the steps I needed to do before I could file our taxes! 

Turbotax indicates that it has been sent.  It will take a few days to determine IF they were accepted or not.

IN a few months I will check to be sure that I am on track for the taxes for 2022.  I hope not to be in a position to wait to file on the last day!  I prefer not to live this close 'to the edge!'

Plenty of taks to do today other than taxes, that I can now get to!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ab_grp

• Doing the best imitation of myself
  • CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2022, 04:33:55 PM »
I'm glad I was so on top of getting our packet to our CPA in time in March.  She ended up filing an extension anyway.   After discussing how that affects what we owe now and also what we are projected to owe next year, I made the payments.  One addressing the tax due for 2021, two to cover the first two estimated payments for 2022.  Okay, great! Now today we receive an envelope from the state.  It's a check in the amount that we paid for our tax due and is marked for the year 2021.  We do direct deposit so shouldn't even get a check, but this mailing notes that getting a check instead is "due to the adjustment" on our state return.   Last year we didn't receive our refund for months, and it was by check, and that was due to an adjustment of a few dollars because the previous year amended return hadn't been taken into account.  But it is awfully odd that there would be an adjustment this year that is exactly the amount we owed and was issued days after we filed and does not have an accompanying calculation sheet to show how the adjustment was arrived at, as we received last year.  After we filed, it said in our account that we owed that balance.  I have a screenshot! Sorry, just venting about having to follow up on yet more paperwork.  Grrr!!

kaysixteen

« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »
WaPo today says IRS still has over 20m paper 2021 tax year returns unprocessed.   IRS says it is just over 19m.  They just do not have the resources to do things correctly.