Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

As originally started by mountainguy

Quote from: mountainguy on August 19, 2010, 08:49:04 AM
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Use this thread to say things that you wish you could say in real life, but know well enough to keep to yourself:

"Yeah, what are you going to do about it?? Fire me??"

"That might have been trendy . . . in 1975."

What I Wish I Could Say (WIWICS): you don't get jokes, do you?
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

mamselle

Your attention is always divided between these two jobs and the one I'm working at seems to keep going mostly because I'm working at it and paying attention, and notifying you of things when needed.

Wish I could ask for both a raise and a title change; might at least start thinking about the latter; I know the former isn't likely since I also do the books...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

science.expat

Dear boss,

You are a dickhead.

Sincerely, SE

polly_mer

*laughter*

Oh, no.  Ah, no.  No.  NO!  NO!!!!

*laughter*
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

sprout

I do not think your definition of need and my definition of need are the same.

turing_complete

There are four authors on your paper.  Choosing the student who's about to graduate (and lose their email address before the camera-ready is submitted) as the only contact author was perhaps not the most foresightful option.

Vkw10

We need someone who can collect and organize basic data for administrative reports. That doesn't require a master's in data science or anything else. Just sign it!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

hmaria1609

To teen patron: you have too much time on your hands!

Liquidambar

When you let me reserve that classroom, you might have mentioned that you would be out that day and couldn't unlock it for me.  Now I don't feel as sorry about the stack of paperwork I'm about to dump on your desk Monday.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

nescafe

To student emailer seeking new advisor:

Oh, my colleague told you to email me, eh? He's the one who recommended you contact me with this request? Hm. That's interesting.

FishProf

Why are you trying to tell us you didn't say it?  We all know you said it.

If that isn't what you meant, just say that.  We can understand that.  Now you just look ridiculous.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

science.expat

Dear boss,

I was so right in my earlier description of you.

Best regards, SE

Scotia

Quote from: science.expat on June 03, 2019, 03:19:40 AM
Dear boss,

I was so right in my earlier description of you.

Best regards, SE

You are so rarely wrong! I should know better by now, but I continue to be amazed at how the incompetent, the poisonous and, most dangerously, those who combine both traits, continue to rise up the career ladder while patently competent and good human beings are overlooked. It doesn't just happen in academia (see current government in UK and POTUS).

paultuttle

Was there ever a moment during the week and a half between the task assignment and the deadline when you could have told me you were unable to complete the task?

the_geneticist

Can we please plan ahead and schedule meetings in advance?  You know, so we can get them on the books before we are all super busy?  Maybe have some time so if things go sideways it's not always a last minute crisis?
It's hard enough to get 6+ folks to find a day and time we can all meet, let alone if the organizer declares that we suddenly all have to meet with less than a week's notice.