News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

A friend requested that I make Skyline Chili for a gathering this weekend. After reading the recipe I'm highly suspicious of the whole thing.

ab_grp

Stockmann, thank you!

RatGuy, I looked up the chili and have definitely heard of it before.  I hope someone here has had some experience with it that they can share with us, because there is a lot going on there.  So are you supposed to make the base chili and bring all the accoutrements so people can have whichever crazy version they prefer (hot dog buns, spaghetti, cheese, onions, beans, mustard, ... almost forgot hot dogs)? Are you sure this is not a prank? ;-)

Stockmann

Quote from: ab_grp on January 10, 2024, 01:54:59 PMStockmann, thank you!

RatGuy, I looked up the chili and have definitely heard of it before.  I hope someone here has had some experience with it that they can share with us, because there is a lot going on there.  So are you supposed to make the base chili and bring all the accoutrements so people can have whichever crazy version they prefer (hot dog buns, spaghetti, cheese, onions, beans, mustard, ... almost forgot hot dogs)? Are you sure this is not a prank? ;-)

You're welcome! Forgot to mention that I also added some flour and cornstarch as thickeners.

RatGuy

Quote from: ab_grp on January 10, 2024, 01:54:59 PMRatGuy, I looked up the chili and have definitely heard of it before.  I hope someone here has had some experience with it that they can share with us, because there is a lot going on there.  So are you supposed to make the base chili and bring all the accoutrements so people can have whichever crazy version they prefer (hot dog buns, spaghetti, cheese, onions, beans, mustard, ... almost forgot hot dogs)? Are you sure this is not a prank? ;-)

I don't think it's a prank -- I just think she's got warm fuzzies about her time in Cincinnati. Some of the friends in the group are gluten-free, so I don't think I'll serve it over spaghetti. Spaghetti squash, maybe. Or one of the GF attendants suggested Ore Ida fries. Or maybe rice?

Or I could just not add the extra water -- make it thick enough to eat on its own? I haven't decided

ab_grp

Thank you for the addendum, Stockmann!

RatGuy, any chili updates?

We made shrimp saganaki (w kalamata olives, tomatoes, onion, feta, ...) last night for the first time in years, and we put it over a new (to us) brand of heart of palm pasta.  It was very good and filling. 

Puget

Had a couple friends over for dinner tonight --

Butternut squash soup
Quiche with broccoli and feta
Homemade bread
Salad (brought by the guests)

(long digestive pause lolling in the living room in front of the fireplace )

Dutch apple pie, made with apple pie filing I canned from apples from my own tree (turned out a little messy but extremely delicious)

Perfect for a cold night! And we all get leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Nothing like leftover pie to brighten a snowy workday.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on January 15, 2024, 06:31:45 PMHad a couple friends over for dinner tonight --

Butternut squash soup
Quiche with broccoli and feta
Homemade bread
Salad (brought by the guests)

(long digestive pause lolling in the living room in front of the fireplace )

Dutch apple pie, made with apple pie filing I canned from apples from my own tree (turned out a little messy but extremely delicious)

Perfect for a cold night! And we all get leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Nothing like leftover pie to brighten a snowy workday.

Sounds delicious!!!

RatGuy

Quote from: ab_grp on January 15, 2024, 04:02:35 PMThank you for the addendum, Stockmann!

We made shrimp saganaki (w kalamata olives, tomatoes, onion, feta, ...) last night for the first time in years, and we put it over a new (to us) brand of heart of palm pasta.  It was very good and filling. 

Chili was a hit. I didn't use as much water as the recipe called for so it wasn't so saucy. We ate it over gluten-free waffle fries, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. One person thought it could have been spicier, but otherwise I'd make it again.

ab_grp

Quote from: RatGuy on January 16, 2024, 09:05:43 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 15, 2024, 04:02:35 PMThank you for the addendum, Stockmann!

Chili was a hit. I didn't use as much water as the recipe called for so it wasn't so saucy. We ate it over gluten-free waffle fries, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. One person thought it could have been spicier, but otherwise I'd make it again.

That's great to hear! Sounds delicious.  I'm glad it worked out.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: RatGuy on January 16, 2024, 09:05:43 AM

Nice! I used to have Skyline Chili when I was up in Cincy.

ab_grp

Due to a shipping mishap that turned into quite a customer service thing, I ended up with bitter (Seville) oranges by mistake.  We decided to make the most of them and found that duck a l'orange can be made with bitter instead of sweet oranges.  We made it last night, and wow.  First, what a pain in the butt to make the sauce.  My husband decided to be the brave one and make the caramel and so forth as part of it, and I think we learned some lessons, but the sauce was so freaking delicious at the end.  We had a whole duck so have some leftover for another meal or two.  We had the sauce in ramekins for dipping, and I think we each dipped all parts of the meal in it.  The caramel added a toasty flavor... just mouth-watering! We saved the duck bones to try to make the mushroom soup shared by Stockmann.  We also used an orange or two to make a salad dressing for lunch that we thought was okay, but the sauce was definitely a winner.  We were going to try to make some vin d'orange with remaining oranges, but we ran out and actually had to use part of a cara cara in the sauce.  Maybe next mishap.