News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

"Will not play on US DVD players" and "will not play in the US" are two different things.

mamselle

I WISH I COULD SAY 'THIS ARTICLE IS DONE!!!'

Getting closer...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 18, 2022, 08:19:47 AM
Quote from: downer on June 18, 2022, 03:38:31 AM
big principles of reverse course design and matching assignments to course objectives.

Wow. Designing assignments to align with what students should be learning in a class.

Never thought of that. /s

Yeah, those principles are obvious and should be used. Nothing wrong with them in themselves. The problems occur when they are made the only real design principles, combined with an insistence on using only Bloom's action verbs.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

the_geneticist

Quote from: downer on June 19, 2022, 01:21:24 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on June 18, 2022, 08:19:47 AM
Quote from: downer on June 18, 2022, 03:38:31 AM
big principles of reverse course design and matching assignments to course objectives.

Wow. Designing assignments to align with what students should be learning in a class.

Never thought of that. /s

Yeah, those principles are obvious and should be used. Nothing wrong with them in themselves. The problems occur when they are made the only real design principles, combined with an insistence on using only Bloom's action verbs.

Ugh, I was at a workshop that insisted we needs to show alignment to learning goals and Blooms levels for every single question on every discussion, practice problem, and exam question.
Could I do this? Yes
Is it a huge waste of my time? Also yes

little bongo

Our course language is getting less concise at our place. The way we're meant to use our verbs, the course descriptions consistently read as if the course itself is going to accomplish or learn something, rather than the students.

OneMoreYear

All you need to do is follow the directions! Why is this so hard?!!!!

statsgeek

We so could have accomplished our goals in half the time if someone had stepped forward to actually RUN the meeting. 

Puget

Dear other people's grad students doing meta-analyses,
I love meta-analyses. I'm happy to try to provide any missing info from my papers that you need for your meta-analysis. Put please actually check carefully that the info you seek is not already in the paper or supplemental materials before you email me to request it. At least half the requests I get are for stuff that is already there for you. I'm tired of writing the equivalent of "it's on the syllabus".

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Vkw10

You! Stop whining like an overtired toddler! And, you! Stop tattling! And, you over there, stop spreading malicious gossip! And all of you, stop running to me to complain about your colleagues!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Harlow2

Quote from: Vkw10 on June 22, 2022, 07:17:04 PM
You! Stop whining like an overtired toddler! And, you! Stop tattling! And, you over there, stop spreading malicious gossip! And all of you, stop running to me to complain about your colleagues!

Oh, dear. That sounds awful.

Langue_doc

To the medical supply company--

What were you thinking, calling me on both phones, sending two emails, a text, and another email, all within a period of five hours? I am not required to sit by the phone nor am I required to respond to your emails and texts within a matter of minutes. On the other hand, you are a company and must pick up the phone when customers call during business hours. Not only did you not pick up the phone on the numerous occasions I called, but waited for three business days to respond to my email. It took you three months to send me what the doctor ordered, and now you want me to be on call?!

mamselle

They should, of course, be more alacritous.

But it might help to know I'm seeing huge numbers of open-position emails (I've left my "Old" CVs up as a matter of interest in just seeing what's out there) in the medical-supply and hospital clerking fields.

They may be operating, still, with very few actual workers in place to process orders and get them out. (That was also one of the hidden sectors of health-care workers hit with severe shrinkage due to Covid deaths.)

Since in some cases there are mandated delivery standards, they may see yours, realize how long it's been pending, and then panic because they're worried about the delay ramifications.

Not saying that's right or fair, but that's what it sounds like.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Bombarding a customer with phone calls, texts, and emails during the course of a single afternoon because the company screwed up is beyond stalking. Employees of companies are paid to answer phone calls and emails during business hours; if a customer bombarded the company or even a doctor's office with a series of emails, phone calls, and texts, even in an emergency, the customer would be considered high maintenance.

AmLitHist

^^ +1, Langue_doc.  ALHS has a medical supplier doing the same to him. It gets old, fast, especially since whenever he's needed them it's like pulling teeth to get a call-back.  He's pretty much done with them, and is looking for a new supplier.

mamselle

Again, agree overall, but just curious--are these calls from people, or are they automated?

If the latter, that might explain (but not justify) it.

The automated calls are one way offices like that try to make up for staffing issues.

Still and all, you deserve customer service, not customer harassment...

M.