News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

Colleague, I do wish you wouldn't leave the work of dealing with the student all on my shoulders, especially since you were the one who was more adamant about her lack of progress than I was.

ergative

Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, every time you bang on about how biscuits should be crisp, I want to knock your heads together. Crispness in biscuits is the worst culinary invention to come out of the British Isles.

mamselle

Is that taking into consideration that in the UK, "Biscuits" = "Cookies" in the US?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on July 25, 2022, 01:28:23 PM
Is that taking into consideration that in the UK, "Biscuits" = "Cookies" in the US?

M.

Yes. Crisp cookies are just as bad as crisp biscuits. Sweet three-bite morsels baked on a tray should be soft and chewy or melty. If they go 'ting!' when you drop them on a plate, I have no interest in them. I shouldn't have to dunk a snack in tea to avoid breaking my teeth. (No, I don't like biscotti either.)

mamselle

Ah, OK.

Translating English into English sometimes loses things...but not this time!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I'm not hard-core about soft cookies, but I do tend to appreciate soft cookies over hard.

While growing up I became accustomed to eating crispy American-sense biscuits.  Mom always did have a tendency to err on the side of doneness when it came to cooking.  I grew up eating crunchy biscuits, bacon, fried potatoes, and hamburgers.  A few years ago she baked two batches of cookies and allowed that one might have been overdone.  One was overdone, all right.  The other was almost reduced to ashes.

Oh well, it was always made with love.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on July 25, 2022, 01:46:38 PM

M.

Yes. Crisp cookies are just as bad as crisp biscuits. Sweet three-bite morsels baked on a tray should be soft and chewy or melty. If they go 'ting!' when you drop them on a plate, I have no interest in them. I shouldn't have to dunk a snack in tea to avoid breaking my teeth. (No, I don't like biscotti either.)

What about ginger snaps?
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

I should have taken this thread more seriously. Cookies are for children, biscuits are for adults.

The US of A is overwhelmed with children's food. My now grown daughter, when a very young child in Italy, expressed her appreciation for Black olives, fresh, pickled, roasted, whatever.

Of course, I have a theory why. And it's not about culture.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Advertising isn't a part of culture?

<<...runs away quickly...>>

;--}

M.

ergative

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 25, 2022, 04:36:38 PM
Quote from: ergative on July 25, 2022, 01:46:38 PM

M.

What about ginger snaps?

I've never particularly cared for ginger snaps. I much prefer my grandmother's molasses spice cookie recipe, which is chewy on the outside and soft and wonderful in the middle. Same flavor, but better texture.

ergative

[unrelated]

No, MIL, I don't have tons of time to spend with you on your visit just because teaching is over for the year. You do realize that my job is more than teaching, right? You have heard me all those times I talk about my research, haven't you? I spent a great amount of my annual leave budget on my own mother and my best friend from high school's visit, and Absolutive is off for the summer and can dance attendance upon you 24-7. I'm not going to be giving up actual research time when we're both just going to get on each other's nerves anyway. You get evenings and weekends and the occasional lunch break and it'll be better for everyone that way.

mamselle

Are you stuck in the same building, or can you "go to work" (to the library/lab/office?)

Leaving, if you can, might help, sounds like.

Sympathies.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I want to be compensated for getting up early, driving 50 miles and waiting an hour in the heat for an event that did not happen because you didn't manage your time well.

mamselle

Wow, that's beyond rude!!

Is it actually possible to put in for expenses, at least?

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on July 28, 2022, 10:53:07 AM
Wow, that's beyond rude!!

Is it actually possible to put in for expenses, at least?

M.

Mamselle:

If you're responding to my post, then no, I can't. It's one of those be there for the admins kind of thing. Very frustrating.