RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Dr. Paul Farmer, global medicine advocate and activist, in his sleep onsite in Rwanda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_iukzpHDA

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Quote from: mamselle on February 22, 2022, 07:07:29 AM
Dr. Paul Farmer, global medicine advocate and activist, in his sleep onsite in Rwanda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_iukzpHDA

M.

I met him once at a small global health conference.  He looked up the bio of each attendee and presented each of us with one of his books - chosen to reflect his interpretation of who we were and what we did in global health.  They say never meet your heroes - in this case, they are wrong.  A phenomenal human being who deserves every bit of praise he's ever received.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

My father's oldest brother died yesterday.  He was in his early 80s, and had been going downhill for a good while.  Now he can finally be well again!

When their older sister died, in the darkest days of COVID (Though not from COVID), nobody could go to her funeral.  Now we can meet like we want to.  I'll be leaving early on Friday morning to drive a couple of hours to the funeral.  My brother and I are among the pallbearers.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

All good thoughts to you and your family as you celebrate his life and mourn his passing.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Seattle grunge icon Mark Lanegan died in Ireland yesterday at 57. Lead man of Screaming Trees, major player in Queens of the Stone Age. I can't say I ever paid much attention to those bands. But his voice was distinctive, and he left an impressive legacy. I found his more recent work and his collaborations with younger musicians more interesting. He made some great recordings.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on February 23, 2022, 08:32:59 AM
All good thoughts to you and your family as you celebrate his life and mourn his passing.

M.

Echoed, apl68. Along with my most profound condolences.

apl68

Quote from: paultuttle on February 25, 2022, 01:35:53 PM
Quote from: mamselle on February 23, 2022, 08:32:59 AM

M.

Echoed, apl68. Along with my most profound condolences.

Thank you all!

The funeral went well.  My brother arrived safely after a 13-hour drive that carried him close to, but not quite through, areas with winter weather travel problems.  It was a cheerful funeral.  He had lived the sort of life that made it clear to us all that we could be confident in his future as he moves to the next stage.  I got to see a lot of family that I hadn't seen in a long time.  And got to spend a long weekend with my parents and my brother, who was unexpectedly able to arrange to stay on for a few days.

Our uncle was the foreman for a local contractor for 50 years.  It was a small enough contractor that he had to be pretty hands-on.  He oversaw the construction of half the newer parts of their town.  Somebody imagined him walking around the mansions of Heaven, instinctively checking to make sure that everything was level and plumb....

EdnaMode

One of my older brother's classmates from high school, who was also a friend of mine when we were young, passed away unexpectedly on Monday. He was only 51. My first thought was of his smile, and my brother also said one thing he remembered about this guy was that he always had a goofy grin on his face. We were on the track team together, he was a multi-sport athlete and the athlete of the year at our HS his senior year but never let that go to his head. I live a thousand miles away from where we grew up, but my brother kept in touch with him. He was kind and funny and generous, a talented craftsman and carpenter, and was loved by many.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

apl68

American journalist Brent Renaud has been gunned down by Russian forces while covering the war in Ukraine:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brent-renaud-ukraine-russia-american-journalist-killed/

Brent Renaud and his brother made a documentary some years ago about an Arkansas National Guard unit's tour of duty in Iraq.  His loss hits close to home in Arkansas.

mamselle

Edna, my condolences.

Apl68, yes, I've been thinking of the losses of life in Ukraine as well. It is hard in so many different ways, but especially so when it's someone whose work one is familiar with more closely.

RIP.

M.

mamselle

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has died, age 84:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYJtfUwdyo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4qc5y3tD8s

Pax in terra

M.

mamselle

Also, no survivors on the downed Chinese flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hl_wBaTc8

RIP

M.

Langue_doc

clean

https://www2.stetson.edu/today/2022/03/stuart-michelson-phd-noted-finance-professor-passes-away/

Stuart Michelson Phd
Stetson University
Was very instrumental in the success of multiple journals, conferences, associations,  Stetson University, and certainly his friends and family. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

Gilbert Gottfried, comedian and 'aladdin'' star, dies at 67

The Washington Post reports that he died of Myotonic Dystrophy Type 2
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader