Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Mental Health Thread

Started by smallcleanrat, May 25, 2020, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dr_evil on March 14, 2022, 02:31:18 PM
A late congratulations, SCR!

Sorry, I haven't visited this thread for a bit. I've been doing too much procrastination with gaming and reading. I'm planning on working on it a bit this week. "To do" lists, here I come.

Same. Sorry, I didn't say congrats, scr! :)

little bongo

Belated congratulations to scr as well.

I've switched now from buspirone to lexapro. We'll see how that goes.

paultuttle

Congratulations, smallcleanrat! Way to go!

Harlow2

SCR, I'm adding my late but heartfelt congratulations as well, having been away for a bit. And yes, all of that is normal, as others have said.

little bongo

evil_physics_witchcraft

I've been a little off lately. There's too much going on. Basically, I'll finish one project only to have another one pop up. I've also been pretty upset about my student who passed last year- it just doesn't seem real to me. I attended the service, but not the funeral. Maybe it will become more 'real' after I visit the grave.

Hegemony

I gritted my teeth and made it through the last two years okay, but I'm having a hard time now. Some of the factors:

• My department is being closed down — depressing in itself — and I'll be moving over to another department where the people are not extra friendly and where my field is not very welcome. I know, it least I still have a job, right? I'm finding it hard to feel the joy.

• The bureaucracy of this job is overwhelming. The university invents more every week. You know what I mean.

• As a Covid-vulnerable person with multiple risk factors, I'm depressed that it's now clear that "Covid is over!" and it's basically every man for himself from here on out. Regular people are back to partying hearty, in my region anyway, while I am still in isolation for the interminable future. I've seen one friend with my conditions die of Covid, and another has long Covid and is now disabled (not able to get out of bed most days). So I am not inclined to take risks, however much people urge me to "get back to living!" I have a child who depends on me; no risk-taking here. Just more isolation.

• I have a good friend in Ukraine.

• House, car, yard, and body have decided to fall apart in complicated and expensive ways.

Every day I have to keep myself from calling my job and saying, "Hi there, I'm quitting today!" That call is the fantasy, but actually I don't think I'd feel better after the call. I'd still sit here in an isolated funk, the world would still be a violent mess, the personal repairs would still be needed.

I also tried ice cream. It only helped for about three minutes.

Harlow2

Quote from: Hegemony on April 05, 2022, 07:02:31 PM
I gritted my teeth and made it through the last two years okay, but I'm having a hard time now. Some of the factors:

• My department is being closed down — depressing in itself — and I'll be moving over to another department where the people are not extra friendly and where my field is not very welcome. I know, it least I still have a job, right? I'm finding it hard to feel the joy.

• The bureaucracy of this job is overwhelming. The university invents more every week. You know what I mean.

• As a Covid-vulnerable person with multiple risk factors, I'm depressed that it's now clear that "Covid is over!" and it's basically every man for himself from here on out. Regular people are back to partying hearty, in my region anyway, while I am still in isolation for the interminable future. I've seen one friend with my conditions die of Covid, and another has long Covid and is now disabled (not able to get out of bed most days). So I am not inclined to take risks, however much people urge me to "get back to living!" I have a child who depends on me; no risk-taking here. Just more isolation.

• I have a good friend in Ukraine.

• House, car, yard, and body have decided to fall apart in complicated and expensive ways.

Every day I have to keep myself from calling my job and saying, "Hi there, I'm quitting today!" That call is the fantasy, but actually I don't think I'd feel better after the call. I'd still sit here in an isolated funk, the world would still be a violent mess, the personal repairs would still be needed.

I also tried ice cream. It only helped for about three minutes.

I'm so sorry, Hegemony.  I've been through Bullet Point  Number 1 and am currently experiencing BP 2
Both at once would be awfully hard, especially with the other things you're experiencing. Hope you can find a substitute for ice cream that will last for at least an evening.

Cheerful

Sorry, Hegemony.  Hope it helped to type it out and share.  During times like this, I try to remember One Day at A Time and Things Won't Always Be This Way.  Pamper yourself.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So sorry to hear it, Hegemony. I agree with previous comments about pampering yourself and trying to find some kind of peace/serenity during this time.

We have experienced the house and car issues and have been dealing with them slowly. One expensive step at a time.

mamselle

Very, very sorry to hear of all that avalanche of nonsense barreling your way. This is when the super-springy pogo sticks that take you to the next clear mountain, with fresh air and spring weather and your own yurt would be helpful, it sounds like.

I echo the self-care wishes, and hope for you whatever you need and can find for yourself that will bring some measure of peace.

It may also be helpful--or it might not--to do something positive about the Ukrainian situation, at least.

Three of my private music students are from a family whose parents are both from Lviv. Their grandparents and cousins are all in the U.S., so close family are safe, but friends are still there, and their mom hasn't heard from one of her good friends in awhile, which is worrying.

So I'm also very aware (and angry, and frustrated, and furious, and...) about the situation.

I'm looking into donating air miles to the Red Cross (after all those trips, I have a lot), and friends have been volunteering, collecting materials for humanitarian groups to take over; there are several sites where one can indicate where contactless pick-up will be (porch, or whatever) and they'll come and get them.

I also share the concern for those who are just "done with Covid," whether or not it's done with us. It's baffling, really, how the expectations that one will just throw caution to the winds and endanger others in the process have grown up as some kind of libertarian virtue.

In all cases, I hope you find some nimble way to navigate these waters, well-centered as always, and that you find a peaceful shore upon landing.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Morden

I'm really sorry all of this is happening, Hegemony. And I have no specific advice, just best wishes. Morden.

AvidReader

I also hope you feel better, Hegemony, and that you find something restorative to do for an evening or more. Stay safe.

AR.

Langue_doc

Sorry to hear about your travails, Hegemony, especially #1, 3, and 5.

Please take good care of yourself.

little bongo

Yes--stay as safe and well as you can.