News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 02, 2022, 01:42:06 PM
SO and I replaced the radiator fan and 'burped' the system on my car. We tested the fans and they both work. We have replaced the thermostat, fan switch, temperature sensor and the radiator fan. The radiator and hoses have been checked, so if this doesn't work, then I may just need a new radiator cap, or I got a crappy thermostat again.

Car was fine driving home, but when I parked in the garage the temperature rose quite a bit. The fan did turn on (though I think it was struggling a little and we just replaced it and the fan switch). So, now I think I'll bring it in to my local mechanic to look at it. I'm sure I'm driving them nuts because every time they've tested it- it hasn't overheated. This time I took a picture which I plan to show them. The only things I can think of are a bad radiator cap, clogged radiator, water pump going (but that was replaced last year) or demons/spirits possessing my car. Anyone know an exorcist?

Edited to add: The thermostat and temperature sensor have been changed. I see no leaks from the radiator and check the hoses EVERY time I drive the car.

Parasaurolophus

Today, a toy double-decker bus from the seventies that fell apart under repeated bashing. It is now all back together, superglue-style. I'm impressed that I figured out the door and bell mechanisms.

Still haven't gotten the parts for the couch fix. I'm optimistic that I'll manage it soon.

I know it's a genus.

FishProf

A computer failure.  Now fixed, and all necessary software reinstalled.

Such a good use of my time.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

secundem_artem

I watched a video to learn how to re-charge the AC system in my wife's car.  Seemed easy enough.

Couldn't even get the hood open.  Something went screwy with the latch and all the pulling in the world could not pop the hood. 

Where do I surrender my man card?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

I used an electric drill that I won at a raffle in a yogurt shop to reattach the facing on the cupboard under the sink.  My wife seemed kind of impressed.  I'm not sure if that is good as this would imply that she thought of me as not very handy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on June 15, 2022, 02:34:09 PM
I watched a video to learn how to re-charge the AC system in my wife's car.  Seemed easy enough.

Couldn't even get the hood open.  Something went screwy with the latch and all the pulling in the world could not pop the hood. 

Where do I surrender my man card?

I do sympathize with you.  I've had an analogous problem in trying to deal with certain federal agencies--what should be a basic first step seems almost un-doable, thanks to some ludicrously badly designed online systems.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO replaced his mass airflow sensor with the hopes that it would fix the error codes he got. Nope. Looks like he may need to replace his O2 sensors and now he may have an exhaust leak. :(

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yesterday our AC went out after a storm and would not turn back on. So, we replaced the capacitor- no dice. We checked the motor (did not appear to be seized). We JUST had it checked a few days ago and it was FINE. The only other thing that I can think of is that a fuse may be blown (which we will check tomorrow). I hope we can get this fixed before it hits 100 deg. F next week.

Ruralguy

Sometimes critters can get into outdoor units especially and get to wires. We had that happen during a bad heat wave a few years ago.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Ruralguy on June 18, 2022, 06:40:30 PM
Sometimes critters can get into outdoor units especially and get to wires. We had that happen during a bad heat wave a few years ago.

We're going to have someone check. I didn't see any chewed wires though (we opened up the unit and cleaned it out).

evil_physics_witchcraft

AC Unit update:

In my last attempt to fix the unit, I will replace the contactor. I know that the fan motor and compressor are good because I bypassed the contactor and they both turned on. If replacing the contactor doesn't work, well, I have a tentative appointment for this Friday with my AC company.

mamselle

I first read that as, "I will replace the contractor," and thought, "...yeah, sometimes THAT'S  what it takes."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteI first read that as, "I will replace the contractor," and thought, "...yeah, sometimes THAT'S  what it takes."

M.

I read it that way the first time and wasnt exactly sure what was replaced.... but as you are trying to fix it yourself before Friday, you are ALSO exploring bypassing the CONTRACTOR!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 11, 2022, 10:21:42 AM
Today, a toy double-decker bus from the seventies that fell apart under repeated bashing. It is now all back together, superglue-style. I'm impressed that I figured out the door and bell mechanisms.

Still haven't gotten the parts for the couch fix. I'm optimistic that I'll manage it soon.

I think I fixed the couch.

I screwed up the bus' bell, which no longer rings. Gonna have to think that fix through more carefully.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on June 20, 2022, 02:04:13 PM
QuoteI first read that as, "I will replace the contractor," and thought, "...yeah, sometimes THAT'S  what it takes."

M.

I read it that way the first time and wasnt exactly sure what was replaced.... but as you are trying to fix it yourself before Friday, you are ALSO exploring bypassing the CONTRACTOR!!

Interthreaduality.

I'm so frustrated right now. I'm trying to bypass the contractor. I checked power going in to the contactor, the contactor itself and the fan & condensor (both turned on when I pushed the button on the contactor). I replaced the thermostat inside the house. I checked the breakers and the 5 A fuse in the circuit board downstairs on the furnace using my meter. I am STUMPED. I bet it's some little piddly thing and I'm going to have to have the guy come out because I can't figure it out and it's hotter than Hades down here. Feeling like I'm not doing my job as handyperson around here. :(