News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on June 23, 2022, 07:57:50 PM
Quotethat we could replace the wire because he didn't have time today.

I hope that you didnt have time to PAY HIM!

What is a service call supposed to involve? 

Is this an employee of a company or 'the boss'/owner?  Id call them back, tell them what you discovered and ask what he is supposed to be doing for the service charge?

Call the company back, and IF they dont fix the problem, challenge the charge on the credit card (if that is how you paid!)

No. He said it was free because he 'was in a good mood today.' Ugh. It felt like he really didn't even want to be here. What a waste of time.

evil_physics_witchcraft

And I need a new control board... shit.

AmLitHist

That just sounds expensive, EPW.  Can they at least get the part (or is one of those "we can't get any electronic part because of the pandemic" things)?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 25, 2022, 08:06:54 AM
That just sounds expensive, EPW.  Can they at least get the part (or is one of those "we can't get any electronic part because of the pandemic" things)?

They can get a whole new board by Monday. The relays went out and they don't do individual components, so I need a new board. It's a 22+ year old board anyway. I've been replacing parts of this AC system over the years, piece by piece.

I did look online and I could buy a board cheaper and install it myself, but I am tired of being the HVAC repair person. Actually, I'm kind of torn, I'd save about $500 doing it myself, but I've never done it before (but it's just wiring- right?). I asked to keep the old board so I can play with it.

FishProf

The shower still leaks.  Grrr.

But I can see where a crack that I filled didn't stay filled, so I can try again.

A deeper look revealed some rotting supports under the shower, so it looks like a full remodel is in my future.  I just need to patch long enough to get through our current remodel and then that can be dealt with.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 25, 2022, 09:17:47 AM
The shower still leaks.  Grrr.

But I can see where a crack that I filled didn't stay filled, so I can try again.

A deeper look revealed some rotting supports under the shower, so it looks like a full remodel is in my future.  I just need to patch long enough to get through our current remodel and then that can be dealt with.

That stinks, but at least you found it sooner rather than later.

mamselle

Yes, and before some rotted joust deposited you, wet and towel-less, in the basement...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 25, 2022, 08:16:26 AM
I've been replacing parts of this AC system over the years, piece by piece.

The AC system of Theseus?

mamselle

Sounds more like Penelope, to be honest....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

For any interested parties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus. While we're at it, this particular AC system sounds like a potential labor of Hercules.

mamselle

Yeah, but I bet there are mice or something in there, undoing whatever gets fixed while they sleep..

What I fix:

All the little things in the article that wouldn't be done but now it is.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: filologos on June 25, 2022, 02:42:53 PM
For any interested parties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus. While we're at it, this particular AC system sounds like a potential labor of Hercules.

Yep. Usually it isn't the board. You check the fuses, breaker, thermostat, capacitor, contactor, fan motor, compressor, etc.

ergative

Like Fishprof, I too have been dealing with a leaky tub. I recaulked the seams on Sunday and Absolutive and I had leakless showers last night. I feel very smug.

Also, like Fishprof, I suspect we'll need to redo the bathroom in the future. I don't know whether the floor is rotting from previous leaks before we took possession, but the current tub is somehow designed in such a way that water loves to run off the edges onto the floor, no matter how carefully you drape the curtain. I do not want to be placing sponges at the corners of my tub for the rest of the showers of my life.

FishProf

I confirmed with my plumber, who is remodeling a bathroom/laundry room on the second floor that the shower is leaking, the repairs I made can help but not fix, and that the floor is damaged (but not in danger of imminent collapse.  He suspects a torn membrane and recommends replacing with a copper pan, BUT that doesn't necessarily require ripping the whole shower out, and we have time so the problem persists but it is not urgent.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: ergative on August 29, 2022, 11:15:40 PM
Like Fishprof, I too have been dealing with a leaky tub. I recaulked the seams on Sunday and Absolutive and I had leakless showers last night. I feel very smug.

Well, you should feel pleased with yourself for a good caulking job!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.