News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbmaj7b5

Pretty good with plumbing. By some weird coincidence, I have installed about a dozen toilets in my lifetime.

larryc

I am fairly handy. When I loved in Missouri we remodeled a 120-year-old farmhouse one room at a time, including plumbing and wiring a new kitchen (YouTube is the best). I sometimes build simple furniture, mostly tables and boxes. I buy old 1940s and 50s TVs and counsel radios and turn them into bars, sometimes replacing the original electronics with a small Bluetooth amp. In retirement, I would love to build some kind of tiny house, or refurbish and old brick building in an artistic/funky way.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Well, we didn't fix the sink... but someone else DID! I'm so happy that we paid $200 to have the plumber drill out the old faucet (yes, it was rusted in there), replace the hot water valve and install the new faucet.

I'd rather save my sanity than $200.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

Well, we did fix something today. I think I was just itching to do something on my own (with SO's help)... stubborn I guess. Anyway, we fixed the support under our sofa- finally (it's only been a few months). We had to attach a separate block to brace a support bracket which keeps the springs in place. It just took about 5 minutes with a drill, screws and a wooden block.

Next job! Maybe we'll get around to replacing the lid switch on the washing machine. It's been sitting in the laundry room for months...

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just fixed our 10ish year old (it could be older, not sure) Vick's humidifier. At first, I thought the heating elements just had build up (scaling) on them, but that wasn't the case and I know our water isn't that hard. Only after the wire connected to one of the elements fell off in my hand did I recognize the problem. I removed the wires and the copper screws that go into the heating elements (cylindrical rods). One of the screws broke off in a rod!

Long story short, I had to drill out one of the rods since part of a screw was stuck in it and the replacement screw wasn't making good contact. Replaced both screws, re wrapped the wires, plugged it in and voila! Now it works!

I am so happy!

Unfortunately, the 'night light' (basically an led + resistor) fell out. Somehow water got into the electronics area and just corroded the heck out of it. I can re solder it in later.

This is a good thing since I'm keeping junk out of the landfill, saving $ and being resourceful. Yay!

FishProf

I bought a pair of Qi Chargers for MrsFishProf's new iPhone.  On didn't work, so I submitted it to Amazon for a return and the vendor asked me to keep the good one and refunded half the price.  I was able to pen up the bad one, find the problem and solder a wire back into place.  Works great now.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

uni_cyclist

I fixed my bike today. I rode my bike hard in a pretty punishing climate, moved across the country, and left the bike in my garage for six months. When I returned to it, I saw that the tires were brittle and cracked and I had a flat. I ordered new tubes and tires, and today I installed them.

When all was said and done, I only needed one small band-aid (and a good handwashing), so I call it a win.

fishbrains

I replaced the cartridge in the kids' bath/shower. We now have zero leaky faucets in the house for the first time in quite a while--maybe ever.

I also replaced the rear light unit on my car, and I replaced a bad breaker in the breaker box without killing myself.

Feeling kind of bad-ass right now. 
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Isn't it great when you fix something?

fishbrains

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 21, 2021, 02:04:25 PM

Yeah, but then people expect things from you . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

Quote from: fishbrains on January 21, 2021, 03:41:21 PM

Yeah, my wife expects me to assemble the exercise bike she forced me to buy. I understand the principles of these things, I just can't do it. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on January 21, 2021, 03:41:21 PM

Well, then you can start charging $. :)

Parasaurolophus

This isn't fixing, strictly speaking, but I'd say it's in the same vein. A month ago, we sank our money into a few acres, on which we hope to eventually be able to build a small house (the idea was to avoid being priced out of the market by the time we're ready to buy a house; given how much property increases every year here, it's already looking like a sound decision). It's got a one-room shack with water and electricity on it, which is nice in the interim.

Anyway, most of that three acres is forest surrounded by a whole whack of crown land (more forest and mountain). Today, because it's not raining, I'm gonna bushwhack a bit with some flagging tape and mark out some trails I want to prepare over the next few years. Should be fun!
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 22, 2021, 09:25:53 AM
This isn't fixing, strictly speaking, but I'd say it's in the same vein. A month ago, we sank our money into a few acres, on which we hope to eventually be able to build a small house (the idea was to avoid being priced out of the market by the time we're ready to buy a house; given how much property increases every year here, it's already looking like a sound decision). It's got a one-room shack with water and electricity on it, which is nice in the interim.

Anyway, most of that three acres is forest surrounded by a whole whack of crown land (more forest and mountain). Today, because it's not raining, I'm gonna bushwhack a bit with some flagging tape and mark out some trails I want to prepare over the next few years. Should be fun!

Sounds like an adventure!

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on January 22, 2021, 09:39:29 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 22, 2021, 09:25:53 AM

Sounds like an adventure!

Yes, and congratulations!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.