News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Did you try unplugging it, and plugging it back in?

(Ducks, and runs)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 21, 2022, 02:09:25 PM
Did you try unplugging it, and plugging it back in?

(Ducks, and runs)

:O

Yep.

Reminds me of The IT Crowd.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I ordered some fuses for downstairs. The fuse checked out with my meter, but maybe it lied to me. :D

arcturus

Although it does not fit the thread title, all these A/C stories are prompting me to add my own. I "fixed" my A/C by (a) using night-time cooling to reset the temperature inside the house by morning and then relying on reasonably good insulation to minimize the day-time heating; (b) calling the repair service; (c) having the repair "team" replace the entire unit (it was out of coolant, and so old that no new coolant is available for this model...).  Step (c) has not yet happened, but is scheduled to happen soon; in the meantime, I am relying on (a) to get me through the second hottest week of the year (90+ F outside; still less than 80 F inside, with no artificial cooling involved).

mamselle

What I'd like to fix, after the fourth round of testimony from the J6 committee:

Any sickness that makes people think it's OK to harass election officials, blame everyone else but themselves for their 'lost' election, and create so much mayhem and danger that people are afraid to go out of their homes for fear of being harmed or attacked.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on June 21, 2022, 05:03:14 PM
Although it does not fit the thread title, all these A/C stories are prompting me to add my own. I "fixed" my A/C by (a) using night-time cooling to reset the temperature inside the house by morning and then relying on reasonably good insulation to minimize the day-time heating; (b) calling the repair service; (c) having the repair "team" replace the entire unit (it was out of coolant, and so old that no new coolant is available for this model...).  Step (c) has not yet happened, but is scheduled to happen soon; in the meantime, I am relying on (a) to get me through the second hottest week of the year (90+ F outside; still less than 80 F inside, with no artificial cooling involved).

I feel you, arcturus. It has been in the 90's (deg. F) here and in the 100's with the heat index. I broke down today and bought a portable AC unit. When I think about this, it all started when we had a clog in the line. I thought we cleared it- maybe we didn't? We tried using the air compressor and blew out a little water through the line that goes to the outside. If that doesn't fix it, then it could be a fuse or maybe loose wiring? If I can't fix it, then the repair guy is coming out on Friday. The funny thing is he was out here two days before all this started and said there were no clogs. Unless a fuse blew and my meter lied to me...

clean

Now that you mention it, in the drip pan, there is a float in the pan that shuts off the AC if the pan fills with water to keep it from getting more water in it.  Perhaps the earlier repairs may have caused a problem with the pan switch turning things off.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on June 21, 2022, 08:44:20 PM
Now that you mention it, in the drip pan, there is a float in the pan that shuts off the AC if the pan fills with water to keep it from getting more water in it.  Perhaps the earlier repairs may have caused a problem with the pan switch turning things off.

Thanks clean! We have an older model and maybe the switch got stuck from earlier. I will check it after work today and report back.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I checked and I think our unit is so old that it doesn't have a switch. :) That would explain the leak we had. Just for the hell of it, I tried clearing the pipes again (using a shop vac this time), flipped my breakers and turned on the thermostat. Nope. So, tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

evil_physics_witchcraft

AC guy said it's the 24 V wire to the outside unit. He said we did a great job with everything else and that we could replace the wire because he didn't have time today. ARGH!!!! I really don't want to wire this, so I called someone else who is coming tomorrow.

Dismal

I skipped a few pages, but what I am good at is shining shoes. Perhaps not fixing them, but maintaining them. I have a wooden kit just like my dad used to have and I make a big production of putting newspapers on the floor in front of the TV and demanding that everyone bring their leather shoes to me. Of course, everyone else pretty much wears tennis shoes so often I just do my own.

Edited to say that after reading the previous pages, I guess my skill set is meager compared to those with fix water issues or work with large appliances.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 23, 2022, 10:14:25 AM
AC guy said it's the 24 V wire to the outside unit. He said we did a great job with everything else and that we could replace the wire because he didn't have time today. ARGH!!!! I really don't want to wire this, so I called someone else who is coming tomorrow.

My AC guy is full of shit! I traced the wire back using my multimeter and got 24+ Volts all the way up to the outside unit. Needless to say, he won't be my AC guy any more. I'm really, really tired of dealing with this problem.

Parasaurolophus

The vertical wall moulding (!) the hatchling broke yesterday, in his enthusiasm for flexing it.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

I just resealed the shower, finding some significant gaps in the caulk that I was unaware of.

I'll find out tomorrow if this stops the leaks into the basement.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

clean

Quotethat we could replace the wire because he didn't have time today.

I hope that you didnt have time to PAY HIM!

What is a service call supposed to involve? 

Is this an employee of a company or 'the boss'/owner?  Id call them back, tell them what you discovered and ask what he is supposed to be doing for the service charge?

Call the company back, and IF they dont fix the problem, challenge the charge on the credit card (if that is how you paid!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader