Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Forumites I'm Missing

Started by aside, June 12, 2019, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 03, 2021, 08:19:01 PM
Quote from: downer on October 03, 2021, 02:49:47 PM
these fora have a different feel to them. I suspect the numbers of participants are less too.

Academia is under stress, times are getting worse for the hallowed halls, and I think we are all sadder than the old'n days of CHE.

I think you are really right about that. On top of that, for much of the population, we are no longer considered a priority in terms of funding (other than D1 Power 5 football/basketball), and in some cases, we are simply enemies.

But I also think that the entire population is sadder, in general.

On that sad note, welcome back Vox. Do you still have all those endless removable wallets?

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on October 03, 2021, 09:39:27 PM

I think you are really right about that. On top of that, for much of the population, we are no longer considered a priority in terms of funding (other than D1 Power 5 football/basketball), and in some cases, we are simply enemies.

How on earth academics could imagine they can start running courses like 'the problem of whiteness' and make a star out of a charlatan who claims that no racism is racism and not expect trouble is beyond me. We have been getting off easy considering the shit we have been stirring up. (ETA:) No doubt the concerns about COVID have been providing some cover for the weave of toxic idiocy over race and identity that have been taking over in education.

mahagonny

mahagonny

mahagonny

' still trying to correct 'weave' to 'wave.' I give up.

aside

Welcome, Vox!  I still covet your moniker.

mamselle

It's been about a month since smallcleanrat has posted.

I'm wondering if they're OK, or if they're just tied up with midterm/end-of-term stuff.

Hope all's well.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Istiblennius

I recall them successfully finishing comps and I was under the impression and hoping they were taking some much deserved dial back of intensity in their life.

ab_grp

I think on and off about mystictechgal and wonder if anyone has heard from her.  It looks as though she was brought up 3 years ago in this thread, but I didn't see any related posts after that.  She was active in 2020 at least once.  I hope all is well there.

mamselle

We're in semi-regular contact, she's doing fine, as are her birds, etc.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on May 03, 2022, 10:02:39 AM
We're in semi-regular contact, she's doing fine, as are her birds, etc.

M.

Great to hear.  Thanks!

Larimar

Quote from: mamselle on May 03, 2022, 09:09:39 AM
It's been about a month since smallcleanrat has posted.

I'm wondering if they're OK, or if they're just tied up with midterm/end-of-term stuff.

Hope all's well.

M.

I miss smallcleanrat too.

Larimar

latico

I have been off The Fora for a long time and am just catching up on favorite posters, posters whose stories I have found compelling or inspiring or moving, posters who made an impact one way or another.  Just before I logged in for the last time, I read all of SCR's posts in order from earliest to latest.  A couple of years later, having re-logged in after a long absence, I searched for her and again, read her posts in chronological order.  Her last posts were full of suicidal ideation and despair that seemed, to my ears, really serious.  She seemed incredibly isolated. 

I read the entire "Forumites I'm Missing" thread in the hope someone would know her IRL and confirm that she's OK, and I see that the wonderful Mamselle (rip) asked if anyone had heard from SCR a little over a year ago, May 03, 2022, followed up by a reply the same day from Istiblennius, noting that SCR passed her oral exams and was perhaps taking some time off, plus an affirmation from Larimar that SCR was missed.  Nothing since. 

I hope someone knows that she is OK? The news that she passed her orals is fantastic! One of her very last posts comments that passing her orals would give her much more freedom and independence, but that the goal seemed impossibly far away and unobtainable.  I couldn't be happier that she got there and hope that her silence just means that life has improved a whole lot.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: latico on July 29, 2023, 12:19:41 PMI have been off The Fora for a long time and am just catching up on favorite posters, posters whose stories I have found compelling or inspiring or moving, posters who made an impact one way or another.  Just before I logged in for the last time, I read all of SCR's posts in order from earliest to latest.  A couple of years later, having re-logged in after a long absence, I searched for her and again, read her posts in chronological order.  Her last posts were full of suicidal ideation and despair that seemed, to my ears, really serious.  She seemed incredibly isolated. 

I read the entire "Forumites I'm Missing" thread in the hope someone would know her IRL and confirm that she's OK, and I see that the wonderful Mamselle (rip) asked if anyone had heard from SCR a little over a year ago, May 03, 2022, followed up by a reply the same day from Istiblennius, noting that SCR passed her oral exams and was perhaps taking some time off, plus an affirmation from Larimar that SCR was missed.  Nothing since. 

I hope someone knows that she is OK? The news that she passed her orals is fantastic! One of her very last posts comments that passing her orals would give her much more freedom and independence, but that the goal seemed impossibly far away and unobtainable.  I couldn't be happier that she got there and hope that her silence just means that life has improved a whole lot.

She was last active today, and she's posted several times a month for the last several months, so she's around!
I know it's a genus.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: latico on July 29, 2023, 12:19:41 PMI have been off The Fora for a long time and am just catching up on favorite posters, posters whose stories I have found compelling or inspiring or moving, posters who made an impact one way or another.  Just before I logged in for the last time, I read all of SCR's posts in order from earliest to latest.  A couple of years later, having re-logged in after a long absence, I searched for her and again, read her posts in chronological order.  Her last posts were full of suicidal ideation and despair that seemed, to my ears, really serious.  She seemed incredibly isolated. 

Hello, latico.

Thanks for asking after me!

Like Parasaurolophus said, I'm still around these fora and I'm doing much better than when I wrote those earlier posts.