News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning! 

Same as ciao_yall.  I ran out of steam yesterday and went to hints to find words I knew very well.  Macadamia was my last word.

Today I am only three words away from QB and need a break.  I am just not seeing them right now.

LB:  No success yesterday!  Congratulations, Langue_doc and ciao_yall!  I found one rather quickly this morning, though. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Slept in, so not much of a start yet today.  I think macadamia, mitt were our two words with assistance after comparing.  Just didn't have time.  And I missed a lot that I usually get.

No luck on LB, though I did have vagrant(s) and never thought of the mate Langue_doc came up with, so congratulations! Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Gah, same as yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and above genius, but that's it for today.

Last word was idyl; remembered seeing the variant before.

jubilate/extrudes

A two-fer today!

SB has included the scores for QB which is helpful as I'm never sure whether the score for the day is twice the scores for Amazing or plus or minus a point.

cathwen

Good morning!

Like Langue_doc, I am at genius with both pangrams.  It's a long one today!  I did notice the QB score today—that is really helpful.  I doubt that QB is in my future today, though. 

Yesterday I needed 2L hints to find the last two words,  yield and yielded

LB:  I also had jubilate-extrudes.  And I have a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL. Last word was yodeled. And for LB I had adjustable-elixir.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius and one pangram, but that's it so far.  Husband also has one pangram as of yet.  He is the one who noticed the QB score, and it appeared in mine and then disappeared when I exited out of bee to go to the crossword and came back.  Who knows.  We did have team QB yesterday but both needed a bunch of words because it was just too busy of a day.  Sleeping in really helped in some ways but was a pain in the neck in others.  Fortunately we're up today! Some of the ones I needed help with were yogi, yodeled (ugh), dilly, eely, and the dumb pangram. 

I meant to say congrats to Langue_doc for QBs the past couple days! I know you called it quits for today, but if you pick it back up, I wish you QB luck that you don't need. 

No luck on LB and didn't even get around to writing down any contenders.  Congrats on your 2fers! And on 2fers today! I hope to have more time to work on puzzles today.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

FYI, there is a new email newsletter from the NYT gameplay team, which you can sign up for here if you'd like: https://www.nytimes.com/newsletters/gameplay   I got today's mailing, and it's got some stuff like which were the easiest and hardest Wordles of the week (by which they must mean something like last Wednesday through yesterday since one of them was last Friday's), the hardest bee day of the week (though they give the % of people getting the pangram, so maybe that's how they're determining it... it's listed as Wednesday's puzzle but is actually from last Wednesday), and it has a couple little puzzles like a rebus and then some links to articles that could help with the crossword or bee, etc.  Just wanted to bring it to the attention of the thread denizens.

I did finally find the second pangram.  But I still have a ways to go.  And I haven't really worked on LB yet.   

Parasaurolophus

Still quite a ways off today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (phew!) and 72 points so far. It's a good workout today.

Didn't get to the bee later in the day yesterday which turned out to be fortuitous as I wouldn't have found at least a couple of words.

outward/diminish

ab_grp, thank you for the link--will check it out this weekend.

The points needed for QB disappeared some time yesterday, not long after they appeared in the morning.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH and a new word togging. LB outward-diminish.

In 30 minutes I will have showered and be togging up for the day.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram but barely got into the crossword when eldest texted for help with calculus.  She did take it in high school but decided for her own edification to take it again at a community college while doing her MSN elsewhere.  Fun with limits.  Ugh! Had to get some more coffee first.  I don't know how she does it with the night nursing shifts as well.  Anyway, we had team QB yesterday.  I needed help with gigaton, nonvoting, and a couple others.

Congrats on your 2fers! I didn't get anywhere with it except for a couple measly contenders.  Maybe today will be the day!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBWH yesterday—I just ran out of time and looked at hints after dinner.  Gigaton and nonagon were my last words.

Today I am at genius with the pangram, which was the first word I saw.  But this may be another hint day—I am not seeing much of anything beyond what I already have.  Yet, there are four more words in there somewhere!

LB:  I also had outward-diminish.  I found a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

It turned out that I needed only two. more words for QB. The last one, although slightly esoteric, is one we've seen before.

An easy two-fer!

I went on a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, through the relatively new Brooklyn Bridge Park, the promenade, and Brooklyn Heights. This was my first time in downtown Manhattan after the pandemic. Good weather and good company!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer on my first try! Feels like it has been a while.  Congrats on yours, cathwen and Langue_doc!

And congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! Maybe the lovely walk with a good companion helped.  I think I heard that the weather is pretty nice out there right now. 

I think I have six words left and am stuck squarely at genius.  I guess that means that I have gotten no new words since I posted this morning.  Good job, me! We'll be calling it a day soon, so I'll see what I can get before compare time.

ETA: QB! Yeah!!!