News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I though today's would be hard, but I'm just seven words short of QB and it took just a couple of minutes, so.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Busy morning so far.  I got to genius with the pangram and then did the crossword but haven't gotten much else done yet.  Sounds like there is lots of progress happening for folks here! Yesterday I needed help with (non)lethal, halal, theta, hone, I think, but I got that dumb telehealth this time!

No luck on LB, though I had some promising contenders that seemed as though they would have to be part of the solution.  Nope, though I did have clique.  Ugh.  Congrats on your solutions and on another 2fer today for cathwen!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Easy pangram and genius, but now I'm stuck.

Missed the last weird word--that should come under SB's list of obscure/unacceptable words.

I had an email about the new Chess game yesterday, and saw it listed as one of the games this morning. Too many distractions, aaargh!

ETA: two-fer

cathwen

Good morning!

Like Langue_doc, I'm at genius and stuck. 

Yesterday I got to QB-1 and had to go to hints for the last word, which I would not have guessed in a million years:  pinniped.  And even with the hint, it was a lucky guess.

LB:  I had the "official" underwhelm-mocha.  I have a 2fer today, but the second word seems odd. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwG, last word was unpin. Just 3fers yesterday unmowed-dacha-alarm, mouched-drawl-lane. That was a tricky one!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with the pangram but haven't done anything else yet so have to set it aside.  I think ninepin was our final word, which we needed help from Shunn with.  I think unpen was one of the few I needed from husband.  I know he needed nipped from me.

No luck on LB, though I did have mocha and was trying under-.  Congrats on getting it, cathwen, and on another today! Ciao_yall, your 3fers were some good combos.

Langue_doc, I did not know there was a new chess game! I will have to check that out after getting some of the other puzzles out of the way.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, here is the email--an editor should have looked at it.

First of all, thank you for being a New York Times Games subscriber and allowing us to continue our legacy of high-quality puzzles and games.
Your subscription now includes unlimited access to Chess Replay, our new puzzle, and the reason I can finally play chess. Every day this week, and every Thursday after, we will publish an interactive chess puzzle crafted by grandmaster Daniel Naroditsky.
Daniel built each puzzle based on historic chess games, and solvers will play as famous chess players during critical games in their careers. As you solve, you'll be guided toward the solution with colorful commentary from Daniel.
In addition to the puzzle, my team will provide guides on how to play chess, how to read algebraic notation, terms you should know, and the occasional column from Daniel. Playing Chess Replay is a win-win: You win the match, and you learn craft from literal masters. If I can do it, so can you.

It is the last item on the list, on the left side of the page.

QB--no difficult or weird words today.

ciao_yall

QB-3 and a quick 2fer. No more procrastinating today!

ab_grp

Thanks for the chess email, Langue_doc! I am enjoying giving it a try despite not having much success.  I like the learning aspect.  But I still have some bee left and LB, so I better get to them for now.  Congrats on QB!

And congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! Good luck with your final 3 bee words.

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

ETA: QB!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB - needed a hint for uptilt. LB ambient-trucked.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (first word) and 134 points.

Don't remember the last words yesterday, but did find puli and pipit quite early.

buckram/minted; ambient/trucked

Went to a picnic in Central Park yesterday which was organized by one of my outdoor groups. Had a good time, had interesting conversations with acquaintances new and old, and also had to repeatedly tell the story of my life to several people. On the way home, just as I had gotten off the main drag, there was the strawberry moon in its entirety on my left.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius and pangram but working on other puzzles for now.  Yesterday I was excited to actually make it to QB.  My final word was limply, which I thought I had entered, so I'm glad I tried it again.

For LB, I had induce-embarkment.  I had to look buckram up, Langue_doc! Congrats on two 2fers! That sounds like a lovely outing.  A picnic and a strawberry moon and good conversation!

For our excitement, they are putting the HVAC in! It's right next to my office, so I may not be in here much to do puzzles today, but that is fine.  I will update on the weather thread as well.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, glad to hear that your HVAC unit is getting installed. Did they ever tell you how someone could drive several hours past the delivery address?

In other puzzles news, I keep forgetting to solve Wordle, so I was at Streak 1 a few days ago, and also today.