News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB needed a hint for colleen. Also marshland-drawback.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, you people are killing it today compared to me.  Neither of us have any pangram, let alone two.  In fact, I had mentioned to him that I hadn't found the pangram yet, and he replied that he hadn't either, and I thought I had better look to see if there's more than one given Sam's tweet.  Yep, two, and that made us feel all the better, I tell ya.  Hopefully they will be related and one will follow quickly from the other.  Not at genius yet, but the pangrams would help! Yesterday we had team QB.  He needed help with cocoon, which he used to be the one to get, and I needed help with oleic, innocence, lenience

Same 2fer for LB here.  Congrats on another one today, cathwen!

Looking forward to hearing about the catacomb concert! That sounds interesting. 

They did get the air on just before my meeting yesterday, so it was a much, much better night of sleep.  Hopefully now we won't have to worry about it breaking down over the summer.  The old units had been working hard for about 16 years, so it was time.   Now we have a warranty, and parts should actually be more readily available, and they are quieter and more powerful and quicker to cool the house down.  It was a hassle, but I am glad! The HVAC whomever have to come out to inspect them next week and then a county inspector will have to come inspect them.   Then, that should be it.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Okay, I finally got both pangrams and to genius and finally found a 2fer after one million contenders.

Langue_doc

Congrats, ab_grp. Congrats also on getting your HVAC unit up and running. It must be quite a relief.

Got a two-fer and also the last bee word after much grinding of teeth.

Tomorrow's bird walk was canceled because the leader is sick, which turned out to be fortuitous in a way because the bathrooms in that location have been closed.

Just finished the crossword which wasn't too difficult, unlike the previous one. Concert info coming up tomorrow when I'll be on a computer.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! And congrats on your 2fer and QB! We each needed three words, but they overlapped, so no team QB, but at least we got to alpha.  Speaking of relief, how lucky not to have the walk going on as planned since there are no restrooms open! Yeek.  Please do let us know about the concert when you get a chance tomorrow!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

A couple of pangrams and genius. I think I've done my good deed for the day as far as the bee is concerned.

Last words yesterday were your (!!) and yuca, which I found by resorting to form all possible four-letter words.

toxic/cravenly

The concert was Mass for the Endangered, dedicated to the environment and animals, both endangered. You can see a glimpse of the venue on the website https://www.green-wood.com/event/mass-for-the-endangered/2022-06-14/

The podium/stage is behind the two people; it was a very narrow space, with two chairs on each side of the aisle. Accompanying the music was a video choreography of nature--animals, birds, butterflies, whales, fish, asteroids and planets, trees and assorted vegetation moving across the ceiling and walls. At one point a giant turtle had taken up the entire ceiling as it floated past.

On both sides were arched entrances (no doors) leading to the crypts or graves; the last names of the interred family, in upper case letters, were above each of the entrances.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB. I guessed carroty but needed a hint for rotatory. After a million 3fers like ab_grp, settled on extraction-natively.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with 2LL hints for yucca and yuca.  I only got yuca when I wondered if yucca had an alternate spelling.  Carroty and rotatory were wild guesses that took.

Today I have all three pangrams and Beta, but am a far cry from QB, with 20 (!!) words to go.

LB:  I had extraction-nervily.  I found a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, that concert sounded wonderful!  It makes me miss New York.  It's the kind of thing my husband and I would have attended.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have two pangrams and am at genius but haven't started the crossword yet.  Yesterday I also had yuca as one of the final ones that was guessed just by trying spelling variants, along with rutty and that danged curacy again.

I got the schmofficial LB solution, extraction-novelty.  Lots of different solutions again! I had so many other promising contenders! Hopefully I'll have luck again today but in a quicker fashion.

Langue_doc, that sounds like a really amazing experience! I imagine that the setting would contribute a lot of ambience.  Did you get to take the trolley or have to walk? And I saw that they had whiskey tasting as well! That sounds like a neat time altogether and probably very memorable.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Didn't make it yesterday. Will make a concerted effort today.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB, needed hints because, among other oversights, I was spelling finial incorrectly and forgot the word file.

LB victuals-shirker, chicklets-suaver and a quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far.

As for yesterday's puzzle, several words that I knew I had entered, appear to be missing. Oh, well.

victuals/shaker

There's the crossword to be completed, and phone visits, so I'm not sure how much more time I'll get to spend on the bee.

Cathwen, if you find yourself in the NYC area in October, you might want to check out Greenwood's Halloween event, which I understand is quite out of the world, literally and metaphorically. I haven't seen it listed yet, so I only have second-hand reports of this event.

ab_grp, there were shot glasses of two different types of whiskey and two gins. I tried one of each (I'm not a whiskey person, and my gin drink of choice is a gin and tonic), and also assorted snacks -- pretzels, chips, mozzarella, and nuts. I brought my bottled water home because of the container, a large can called Liquid Death, which is supposed to contain mountain water from the Alps. On the narrow ribbon at the bottom of the can you are encouraged to "murder your thirst". The blurb at the top informs you that
This infinitely recyclable can of stone-cold mountain water cam straight from the Alps to murder your thirst.

Here are a couple of links showing the interior of the catacombs before https://www.green-wood.com/calendar/list/?tribe-bar-date=2022-07-18 and after https://www.green-wood.com/event/concert-in-the-catacombs-eddy-kwon/2022-07-06/ the seating arrangements.

During the bird walk this morning (details to be posted on the bird thread later today), we came across several mulberry trees including a few white mulberry ones, so there we were happily snacking on both types of mulberries. This was my first encounter with white mulberries which were surprisingly quite sweet.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We slept in a bit, but I did get to genius with the pangram at least and started on the crossword.  Yesterday I had a bunch left when we quit for the day.  I managed to pick up a few more before we compared, but not many.  I still needed one of the pangrams (flatline) as well.  After comparing, we needed two more words, which I think my husband picked up both of: fine, flatfeet.  Ugh on the first one... the list was just too long to make sure I had all the obvious ones.  And I don't think I would have gotten the second without help any day of the week.  Sorry to hear you got ripped off on some of your words, Langue_doc! That is so frustrating.  I have seen some weirdness in my app lately with points and words not adding up correctly, etc.

Also, someone pointed out that there is a Stats tab now in the bee area.  It doesn't look super informative if you get to genius.  I mean most of my days say Queen Bee since we keep going with help until we get there.  Today it says Genius.  So, not too much info there.  Maybe there is more to come.

Congrats on your 2fers and on another one today, ciao_yall! And congrats on your 2fer as well, Langue_doc! I should have kept my big mouth shut yesterday wishing to get a solution more quickly.  I ended up with another very long list of contenders but no solution.  Close a few times!

Langue_doc, that is some powerful water! I would also save the bottle.  Help! My thirst has been murdered! I only wanted it slaked! As for liquors, I am not a big hard liquor person but would tend more toward whiskey.  We have some good Scottish whiskeys, and my husband bought me a bottle of Metallica's Blackened whiskey.  Each batch has an associated playlist picked by a band member, and the whiskey is "sonically-enhanced during the finishing phase".  I haven't tried it yet.  Either way, it sounds like a really nice event.  The links didn't work well for me, but I found some other pics of concerts in that setting.  Wow! What an experience! And that's neat about getting to sample the white mulberries.  Hopefully the birds weren't watching you have a little snack on their food.  ;-)

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good evening!

Yesterday I got involved in other projects and let SB drop.  I made genius, but missed a bunch of words that I surely would have gotten with more time.

Today I'm at QB, albeit with a hint for the last word.

LB:  I had archivists-sulker.  I found one today without too much trouble. 

Langue_doc, those events at Green-Wood sound wonderful!  We just may venture to NY for at least one event.  Thanks for the links!

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, fell 30 short again.
I know it's a genus.