News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB and just with the Grid yesterday - not even the 2LL! Last word minicam. LB flaxen-nitpicky.

Going to the gym today for the first time since my knee injury. Not gonna be pretty.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (first word), genius, and a measly 15 words so far.

Didn't have time for the bee or Sunday's crossword after posting here yesterday.

cathwen, should you decide to go to an after-hours event in Greenwoood, feel free to PM me for parking information. The official closing time, which means that the gates are closed, is 7 PM.

ab_grp, we took the trolley (the one in the pictures on the website) as we had the dripping Liquid Death cans in our hands. It's a period trolley (perhaps refurbished?) with wooden seats. Had it not been for the cans we would have joined the walking group--there was someone leading the walk because they didn't want people getting lost and/or wanting to get lost after hours and then having to be rescued. Next time, I'll take my backpack so that I can join the walkers.

Happy solving!

ETA: ciao_yall, hope the knee gets back to normal soon.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I managed to get to QB already! Yeah!! Yesterday, that was not the case, though we did have team QB.  I needed three Cs (caiman, cane, canine, I think). 

No luck on LB, so congrats on yours, ciao_yall! And good luck with your knee rehab. 

Cathwen, congrats on your additional 2fer from yesterday (day before?) and i know you said you also had one yesterday to be revealed, so congrats in advance!

Langue_doc, I had to look up the water.  Their website encourages "Don't be scared.  It's just water."  And, they have an interesting taste test video between their product and some of the most expensive beverages on earth, for which they took some liberties with the definition of "beverage."  They also have a "murder head death club."  That is some interesting water you've gotten into! I hope you get to join the walkers next time and don't get lost in the cemetery! Although if one does get lost, it seems as though having murder water in hand might be helpful.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Quick beta with pangram this morn.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yesterday I stumbled over canine and minicam.  Today, though, I made QB without too much trouble! 

LB:  I also had flaxen-nitpicky.  It took me a long time, but I finally found a 2fer today. 

Langue_doc, thanks for the offer of parking information.  I just may take you up on that if we go. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! Congrats on yours, cathwen, and your QB!

ciao_yall

QB with grid, guessed at netty for the final word.

LB mantric-clough which, as it turns out, is another word for "ravine." Related to cleft, I suppose?

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Easy QB yesterday (although netty was a wild guess), but today I'm just over genius with the pangram and struggling.  I do not see a stunning success in the cards today. 

LB:  I had columnar-right.  Ciao_yall, I should have thought of clough!  It was my great-grandfather's surname and apparently it is of Anglo-Saxon origin and common in Lancashire (where he was from).   Our family pronounced it "cluff", but some pronounce it "clow". 

I have a 2fer today, but I think the second word is a tad questionable.  If I have time, I may look for another.

Anyway—happy puzzling, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday was such a rare day of early QB that I didn't know what to do with myself.  I think my final words were lynx, entente.  Of course, I tried telnet to no avail.  So much for learning that one.

I got the same 2fer as cathwen.  Ciao_yall, those are some interesting words! I am not too surprised yours wasn't the schmofficial solution.  ;-)  Speaking of, I don't think any of us got that one (yet)?  Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen! And good luck if you search for another.

I have a 3-hour seminar mid-day which seemed reasonable at the time but now seems very burdensome, so I hope it's recorded.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius; there's my book discussion event tonight, so I don't think I'll have time for more puzzling.

Yesterday it turned out that I needed only two more words; I promptly got excellency and lynx.

columnar/ right

We had to memorize poems in school--I still remember the first line of Arthur Hugh Clough's poem (don't remember the title though)
Say not the struggle nought availeth

Parasaurolophus

GWP, but many, many rejected words which should have counted.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Found the pangrams early on, but it was a heavy-duty hike to genius.

Missed bodied and doobie; I think the former was rejected in a previous bee.

fester/rebouncing (autocorrect doesn't approve of the latter)

I've been procrastinating setting up the new CPAP. Today I'll have to hunker down, read the pages of info that came along with the machine, go online and register/set up/activate the machine so that my privacy settings are almost zero.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for bootee (again!) and a few reminders. Thought I had tried boogie and it didn't take but oh well.

LB - just 2fer b4ss solutions briefs-scouting, cutoffs-sobering and lots of 3fers.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Not exactly a glory day for me yesterday!  I got discouraged early on, then got involved in other things and never got back to SB.  I missed some past tenses (betided, bodied) and some obvious words (beige, boob), but probably would never have guessed doobie

Today I'm four words from QB.

LB:  I had fester-rebouncing, which I did not expect to be accepted.  I suppose that if one can bounce, one can rebounce as well.  Ciao_yall, yesterday's LB seemed to lend itself to a number of b4ss pairs plus many 3fers!  I found it frustrating.  Today's 2fer was easier to find and consists of normal words. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  We had team QB yesterday but each needed a few words.  I think I needed betide(d), beget, begot.

No luck on LB despite lots of contenders, so congrats on the rebouncing solutions! I think they should be pretty lenient with accepted solutions given what they come up with for schmofficial solution.  I mean, befogs? Get the hell out of here with that.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

Good luck setting up the CPAP, Langue_doc.  It can be a pain, but hopefully will be worth it! I think my husband has set up a few in the past couple years, including because of the recall, but he seems happy with the one he has now.

Happy solving!