News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram and am working on crossword.  Yesterday I think I had four words left when we compared? But we did have team QB.  I needed help with attempt (ugh, had tempt!), nametape (ugh! I remembered there was a dumb word for name tag in here before but couldn't come up with this one because it is so dumb) tenement, manta.  Should have gotten the last two as well.  Oh well! I looked up nametape just now, and it is often spelled with a hyphen or as two words! I call foul!

No luck on LB despite a bunch of trying and reasonably good contenders.

Safe travels and good luck, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good evening!

Yesterday was another bad SB day.  I needed 2LL hints to find words I usually get (such as meet!!!).   My last word was nametape—and I agree with your assessments, ciao_yall and ab_grp.  Harumph.

As for LB, I had the "official" biotech-handily.  I have a 2fer today also.

Ciao_yall, good luck with the job interview! 

Langue_doc

Evening!

Pangram and genius before leaving this morning.

Last word was nametape which I remembered from an earlier puzzle.

It was an interesting walk, despite the minimal walking because there was no shade along the paths. This was my first trip on this particular ferry route, which ran all the way from just north of the Battery to the new ferry landing in the Bronx. We sat on the top deck so that we could see the islands in the East River (Roosevelt, Randalls, Rikers, and the two uninhabited Brothers). There was what appeared to be a convention of jet skiers on the Brooklyn side, with more than 200 jet skis in the water, and police cruisers (watercraft) alongside. Our ferry didn't have many passengers, but there were long lines for the ferries that went to the beaches. The park was full of families who tried to replicate their backyards in the park; they had large tents, multiple chairs, barbecue equipment, entire stereo systems, and plenty of coolers bringing food. One family even had a structure that looked like a summer house with a porch in front. Several people were unloading plenty of stuff--food as well as furniture from their SUVs. One family had rented a UHaul van (must have been a party as this is graduation week for schools). Some of us sat in the shade of one of the trees as we didn't want to walk in the hot sun, and then decided to leave early. The rest of the group also joined us at the ferry landing, so we spent some time chatting (the ferry we, the first group wanted to board was canceled). I met people I had hiked with, and also interesting new people.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, remembered fugu before having to go for hints. LB outlaw-whiskey.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to pangram and genius and am working on the crossword.  Yesterday we did not have team QB, as we were both missing tofu.  I was also missing outthought, though.

No luck on LB despite good contenders.  Dang it, I had whiskey! That's a good 2fer, ciao_yall.  Congrats.  I wonder if it's the same as cathwen's.

Langue_doc, sounds like a nice trip! Seems very busy with jet skis and elaborate picnics.  I'm glad you had a good outing! I also meant to mention that I hadn't heard of that Shakespeare play Cymbeline before.  I wonder how they choose which plays to put on.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I got to QB yesterday after consulting my list of odd Bee words to get the last one, fugu. 

Today I'm at Beta with six words to go. 

LB:  I had outwalks-stealthily.  I did see whiskey at one point, but did not connect it to outlaw!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer as well, cathwen! That's also a good one! I like when the words can go together.

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius this morning.

I don't think I would have found fugu (thought the correct spelling was fugue) or outfought. Outfought!? Outthought!?

I think I've found all possible words today. Missed the last couple of crosswords--probably more, but found today's Wordle word on my second attempt.

ciao_yall, good luck and safe travels.

ab_grp, I wanted to see Cymbeline because it was one of the first plays we had to read in my undergrad program. There are so many things going on in the city in summer.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

glendower

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 26, 2022, 11:20:31 AM

I don't think I would have found fugu (thought the correct spelling was fugue) or outfought. Outfought!? Outthought!?

Fugu is a puffer fish. Fugue is a piece of music.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Three pangrams and genius. Now I'm at a loss, literally and metaphorically, for more words. Last word yesterday was one of the participial words.

fraction/nimbus

The fireflies are in session; on my way home from the evening walks, I see them emerging from the lawns, trees, and bushes. There used to be more of them in previous years, but that could be my imagination. The Northern mockingbirds are everywhere. I saw one feasting on mulberries in someone's front yard. There was another one sitting on a low nest in the park on Saturday. Neither seemed perturbed by the proximity of humans. They are in every park, and also in every yard on my street.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I am at genius and think I have three pangrams.  I am also feeling pretty stuck and am at 21 words.  Yesterday I'm glad I took a look before we compared, because I needed a LOT of words and managed to get down to 5 left before comparing, at least.  I needed blin, baaing, and something else, I think, and we both needed gabbling, bubba.

For LB, I had ramification-nimbus, though I had fraction earlier, so I guess I did not make that connection! Congrats, Langue_doc!

And I am envious of your fireflies! I miss them.  I don't think I've seen any out here.  Maybe the mockingbirds are holding them at bay.  If they are true to their name, then I think we have some here.  My mother-in-law got spooked by one somewhere near her door one time.  I can't remember what noise it was making or any other details, so I guess it's not a very good story.  It probably wasn't even a mockingbird.  I couldn't quite tell from your description whether you are glad or not for so many mockingbirds.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Same situation today as Langue_doc:  Three pangrams and genius, and flummoxed as to what more there is to be found.  I'll hold off looking for hints for a while, hoping that inspiration strikes.

Yesterday I needed hints for lubing, baaing, binning, and bugling

LB:  I had infraction-nimbusFraction is a lot more economical, of course.  I found a 2fer today.

I must look for the fireflies! Once we close our shades, I'm afraid I don't look outside very much at night.  Where I grew up, we called them lightning bugs.  I remember catching them in jars to watch them glow in the dark, then releasing them. 

Happy puzzling!