News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen! I have never heard of platic before.  I just took a look at the schmofficial solution.  Yep, pretty sure I never would have come up with whodunit!

Parasaurolophus

GWP yesterday, only halfway so far today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius. Last words yesterday were twilit and wildland. Remembered the former from previous puzzles, and the latter because I was looking for events in the wildlife refuge when I saw references to wetlands.

plaudit/touchdown; whodunit, indeed!?

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius.

Facticity!? Fatly!? I'm familiar with thinly sliced and thinly veiled (threats), but not fatly sliced whatever.

Off to get my second booster.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning! QBwATHICG to find facticity.

LB just a 3fer zealot-trowel-limbic. And... on to today's.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Yesterday I needed help for fatly and filially.  I did get facticity, but I think it was a wild guess made in desperation. 

Today I'm at Alpha, but out of steam and ideas. 

LB:  No 2fer yesterday, and none yet today!  Argh.  I have some good words, but not finding words with the leftover letters. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got the pangram and am nearing genius but switched to the crossword for the meantime.  We both needed help with facticity, and I needed help with a bunch of the -ly words since I had just stumbled onto that pattern when we gave up for the day.

LB has had some unusual words as part of its schmofficial solution.  Maybe today will be a better day!

Good luck with your booster, Langue_doc! My husband and I were just talking about boosters this morning.  I hope it all goes well and smoothly.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBWATHICG but learned a new word villanelle. Maybe I'll use that form for my next budget memo.

LB howled-decaying as well as the rather Freudian gynecologic-chawed, gynaecologic-chewed.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Yesterday my last word (thanks to hints) was livable.  Darn those alternate spellings! 

Today I am at genius with the pangram. 

As for SB, I finally got chawing-goldeneye.  I used to sometimes see goldeneyes on the lake in the winter when I lived farther north.

No 2fer yet today!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Almost to genius with the pangram today.  Yesterday I needed two words (avian, naive), but we had team QB.

Congrats on your various and sometimes strange solutions, ciao_yall, and on yet a different one, cathwen! I had a bunch of good contenders and no luck again.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

I just wanted to alert those who haven't seen tweet from Sam or the games newsletter that tomorrow there are apparently a LOT of pangrams.

As for today, I did get to genius + but still have a couple words left.  And no cigar on LB yet.

ETA: Yay!! Got a 2fer!

Langue_doc

Evening!

Above 200 words this morning. Founrd all the difficult words yesterday; last words were vain and vial.

Found a two-fer but can't remember either word.

Recovering from the boostr--a cup of tea and a tylenol this morning, and the same along with half a bagel just now.

Pardon the typos, this is the best I can do.

Back to bed.

cathwen

Good morning!

Langue_doc, I hope you're feeling better today! 

SB:  I needed help to find queueing, queuing, and teeing.  Today, though, I'm only at Amazing in spite of having found all six (!!) pangrams.  I don't think I'll have the energy or patience to try for QB, although Genius would be nice.  24 points to go until genius...ugh!

LB:  I had lexicon-newspaper, which was the "official" solution.  It took me ages to find that, but  I found a 2fer today right off the bat.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius, but I think I only have 4 pangrams? I have no idea anymore.  Yesterday we did not get team QB.  I needed 4 words: gigging, intuiting, queuing, queueing.

For LB, I got coxswains-splicer after quite a few tries.  I didn't see either of the schmofficial words.  Congrats, cathwen, and on another today!

Langue_doc, sending you booster recovery wishes.  I hope you were able to spend cozy time in bed resting and are feeling much better.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

I think I have all the pangrams--lost count after a while because they just kept popping up. Slightly above genius, but that's it, I think, for today. The only unusual word so far is a scientific one that we all know, so keep trying.

Finished the crossword--it wasn't too difficult.

Thanks for the good wishes, cathwen and ab_grp. The brain is no longer addled, but it is still a day in bed.

The procedure was painless and quite efficient. The medical practice of my PCP and the sleep doctor got taken over by one of the hospital conglomerates, so I can go to any of their locations (all the boroughs and also Long Island) to get the shot. The advantages, in addition to the shot being administered by a trained nurse, are that the information gets entered in your patient portal, and the lot numbers, which my institution requires, are clearly visible. The first three vaccines have a purple cap, while the latest one has a green cap, according to the information in the patient portal.

Happy solving!