News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwSBB to find my last word, galangal. One of these days I will remember that word. Today I'm at genius with the pangram, four words to go.

LB: Well, I never would have thought of blitzkrieg on my own, even though it has been borrowed into English (with a lower case b; upper case in German). After ichthyosaur, I tend to agree with Langue_doc that some sadism is involved in these puzzles. But not today—I found a 2fer without too much trouble.

Looking forward to hearing your eclipse tale, Langue_doc!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, last word babel. LB I found blitzkrieg-graph on my own after a few cups of coffee.

LB has been getting trickier lately. I can find 3fers pretty easily now but regularly find myself using the community hints.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Almost QB. Missed beanball yesterday.

One of the many reasons I was (am) a fan of Will Shortz is because he shared his expertise rather than flaunt it as is the case with LB these days. Puzzles should be challenging as well as intellectually stimulating; when the puzzles have more than one soluntion they are such a delight. Ichthyosaur and blitzkreig aren't much fun as these are words used in very specific contexts. I do hope Will Shortz recovers enough to be back editing the crosswords.

Going over to the eclipse thread to post my eclipse experience.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday we had team QB.  I think I was missing anal, annal, galangal

No luck on LB again yesterday.  I agree with the sadism take (and on good wishes for Shortz's return)! But I also got one quickly today.  Hooraaaaaaay!

Cathwen, thanks about the interview! I think it went well.  It's weird going through my first interviews in about 25 years.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  They said they have a strong candidate pool, and it's really an ideal job for me, so I will just do my best.  I think my background is uniquely matched to the position, but we shall see.  Next round would be a panel if it gets that far.  I have to update my work wardrobe since I've just been hanging around in leisurewear for several years and may have changed shape a bit.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I've been meaning to send you good wishes about your interviews for at least three days, I think, so here they are finally!

And, also finally, a twofer. Woohoo! There are bound to be multiple solutions, given the s.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG, last word blob. LB wackier-reptilians.

ab_grp Hope for some great shopping in your future!

Happy solving!

Wow that's a lot of exclamation points!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. QB yesteday, with bowmen and ballmen as the finale.

pawns/sticker, sticklers/spawn

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius and no pangram yet.  Yesterday I got to QBABMish with ballmen as the final word.  Husband gave me a small clue about that one.  He got to QBABH solidly.

For LB I had plastic-crewneck, which I thought would be schmofficial.  But there are lots of solutions!! Congrats on your 2fers!

And thank you, Langue_doc and ciao_yall! I am excited and nervous about the possibility.  Eek!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram so far today. Yesterday I reached QB with a hint for boll,, which has to be the only combination of letters I did not try.

LB: I'm glad we're back to multiple solutions! Mine was wackier-replants.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, last work tiki. I did look at SBB but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. So that's a new category. LB needed a hint for chap-playground.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius plus but only two pangrams so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for backbit, ribbit.

No luck on LB!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBw1LH for the last word, karat. Today I am at genius and finally found the third pangram.

LB: I had playground-duchy. No luck yet today.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. QB yesterday with baccarat and ciabatta completing the list.

paunch/hydrology (I think--didn't write down the words).

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG, last word tiki. LB got a nudge for physiques-soapbox.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwSBB to find magnum and magma, my last word. QB today.

LB: I had the "official" physiques-soapbox. I have one today also.

Happy puzzling!