News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overthejordan

There have been several movie threads over the years, usually limited to new movies in a certain time frame. Can we, for the time being, have an ongoing, general movie thread, for new movies and old movies and general movie-related discussion?

I still haven't seen Tolkien or Meeting Gorbachev or Amazing Grace or The Biggest Little Farm. Those are all on my list for the beginning of summer. What else should I see soon?

What are your favorite summertime movies in general?

polly_mer

I'm going to see Secret Lives of Pets 2 even if I can't convince my kid to go.

The Death of Stalin was one I missed in our theater, but was worth paying the money to see on Amazon Video, assuming a specific sense of humor.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

cc_alan

Hey! I love movies about eating cheese. Did anyone see "Cheese Eater 3000" last week?

I am in the right place to post this incredibly serious question, right? It's not like there's an actual thread to put movie posts in, right?

[Note: thanks for the OT tester post, cc_alan!    -Para]

genericusername

I wanted to share two useful tidbits that I thought were interesting about trends in movies lately:

1. Some huge percentage of the top movies last year were from the Marvel Character Universe, likely from having been weaponized by the Disney cross promotion and marketing machine after Disney purchased them in 2009.

2. Part of the reason why these huge super hero blockbusters keep coming through is that they do better for global distribution, whereas romantic comedies, as a genre, tend to be more culture specific, and are thus less likely to do as well across multiple markets.

Personally not such a fan of the overblown super hero genre and would prefer more sci-fi (big budget, small budget, critical, all good, space opera even better), although I did like Black Panther when I randomly saw it because the movie I went to see was sold out.

mamselle

I think we may have lost a couple posts here from the server hiccups....

Anyway...

I had to sit through the 《Incredibles #2》a few months back, and discovered I didn't mind it as much as I'd expected...especially enjoyed Elastigirl's antics, and wondering how you get someone to model those for the graphic artists doing all that drawing.

My favorite is still "Triplets de Belleville" though...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

"Ralph Wrecks the Internet" - in Spanish on the plane. Great movie! Really! Passes the Bechdel Test, too.

Also watched "What Men Want" and "Black KKKlansman" in Spanish. Great practice.

ergative

I presume this thread can also serve for tv shows?

I've been watching "Gentleman Jack". It has lots of great clothes, but the central romance features such an insipid, tiresome young woman object of affections. I have no idea what Lister sees in her, besides her money. The coal sub-plot is much more fun, and I'm particularly enjoying the tension of a protagonist who is simultaneously a figure-head for sexual progressivism, and also a classist arsehole. Lister's traditional, gender-role-embracing sister is a lot more sympathetic to the plight of the working class.

ab_grp

I lost a post or two and became a probationary member, I guess, but I did see an actual in-theater movie recently.  We see a movie in the theater maybe once or twice a year, if that, so now's as good a time as any.  This past weekend, partner and I went to see John Wick 3.  He had seen the first movie and recommended it to me, and we saw the second movie in the theater together.  It was a little funny to hear the two older ladies sitting in front of us at that showing commenting on previews that were violent.  I wondered what they thought John Wick 2 would be like! I'll just say that they had a lot of comments throughout.

In any case, if you are not comfortable with egregious violence, I would certainly suggest avoiding the series.  I think the storyline is interesting, and the action can be kind of fun.  I found myself a couple times during this movie covering my eyes with my arm and exclaiming at some of the violence (and I have seen and own the first 7 Saw movies).  I did expect the violence but was a little startled at times.  At other times, the action was very entertaining.  There is one scene in particular that I thought was done very well.  Overall, I would say this movie was probably better than the second but not as good as the first.  Some plot points did not make sense to either of us, but I also think I may have picked up on some of the mythology that I missed before.  Naturally, some dialogue and acting were laughable, even from some very well-respected actors.   If you can suspend disbelief about some of the logistical issues and mythology, you may enjoy it overall.   I did.   

polly_mer

I'm chuffed to read about John Wick 3 and to know that R rating is real so Blocky shouldn't get to come.  I, too, enjoyed the Saw movies, but they aren't Blocky-friendly.

ab_grp

Quote from: polly_mer on June 07, 2019, 06:48:30 AM
I'm chuffed to read about John Wick 3 and to know that R rating is real so Blocky shouldn't get to come.  I, too, enjoyed the Saw movies, but they aren't Blocky-friendly.

I don't remember exactly how old Blocky is now (time flies!), but from my recollection I would agree... probably not a good movie to take him to.  Are you familiar with https://www.commonsensemedia.org/? They have movie, TV, and app reviews, and others.  For movies, they rate aspects like language, violence, sex, positive role models, and others on a 5-pt scale.  They describe what parents need to know about the movie (though it can give some of the movie away at times, which is annoying to me if I want to see the movie myself) and have ratings by parents and kids.  They also talk about how to discuss the movie with your kids, what the story is about, and whether it is any good.   I use that site a lot! I read the JW3 ratings, and I agree with their description.  There is a lot of almost campy violence that is not that bad in some ways (they refer to it as "over-the-top, video game" violence).  For most of that, it goes on so long at times that I found myself actually tuning it out.  But, there are some moments that are really specific and graphic (they give an example in the "What Parents Need to Know" section) that are more along the lines of Saw that I wouldn't really want my 15yo to watch.  She has seen Saw and a number of other movies that I didn't really support, and who knows what else she sees, but I would avoid if possible.  I hope that helps, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

polly_mer

Blocky is ten and we consult Common Sense Media frequently for video games.  I hadn't thought to look for JW3 because I saw JW1 and JW2 so I thought it unlikely that JW3 would somehow be wrong in their R rating.

I was just happy to see someone recommended JW3 as worth seeing because, with sequels, you're getting a crapshoot.

ab_grp

Oh, okay.  Yes, I liked JW3 a lot.  My 23yo daughter and my spouse also did.  It was definitely entertaining and had some really well done scenes.  If you liked the first two, I think you will like that one as well. 

clean

I saw Godzilla this afternoon.  It was loud.  I suppose that it was ok, but I wasnt all that impressed with the show today. 
IF you go, WAIT FOR THE END of the credits for an extended scene.

I saw previews for many retreads!  There is another Rambo movie in the works with Stalone.  Linda Hamilton (if I remember her name) will reprise the Sara Connors role in a retread of Terminator (with The Govinator!)

Im looking forward to the zombie move that starts next week.

The theater was crowded with Pets fans!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

bioteacher

How did Blocky become ten so SOON?  It's too fast!  (I say this with Bioson away at technical school and Bioette heading into grade 10 in the fall. Neither of them were given permission to grow up, either.

Hubby and I just watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas tonight on netflix. We both thought it plodded along too slowly. We didn't like the ending, either. I expected it to continue a few more minutes.

polly_mer

Quote from: bioteacher on June 08, 2019, 08:44:49 PM
How did Blocky become ten so SOON?  It's too fast!  (I say this with Bioson away at technical school and Bioette heading into grade 10 in the fall. Neither of them were given permission to grow up, either.

I remember Bioette being about six and adorable as we toured the zoo those many years ago.

In other events, Blocky has flat out refused to go with me to see The Secret Life of Pets 2.  I'm thinking of going tomorrow afternoon without him because I still want to see it (JW3 is not showing here yet).