News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monarda

Quote from: bioteacher on December 18, 2019, 06:36:37 PM
Knives Out was delicious FUN. My kids and I all enjoyed it. Amazing cast, too. I'd like to see it again.

We liked it, too.

cathwen

Knives Out is on our list for next week.

We saw the latest Star Wars movie.  I didn't dislike it, but I wish there had been more plot development and fewer big, splashy fighting scenes.  I just thought it was overdone. 

clean

I saw Jamanji this afternoon.  I was a bit too late to see Star Wars.  Also, the ticket price for Star Wars is an extra $2 a ticket! 

I may have to make sure that I see it on Wednesday. The theater listings for the weekend are not settled yet, so IF I want to see it at my preferred theater, I may have to do it no later than Wednesday!

Knives out has long ago left my favorite theater. I havent looked to see where else it is playing.  I d like to see it in the theater, but Im not a huge fan of either of the other 2 theaters in my town.  My preferred theater (an Alamo Drafthouse) has comfy seats, good service, and they kick out noisy people or phone players!

the other places are not as nice. 

I gave up my AMC plus/preferred/prime (whatever)  membership. It used to be that my membership level had a dedicated line, but this theater did away with it, so Im in line behind everyone else and I had to be aware of not only my movie start time, but all of the other movie start times or be stuck in the popcorn line for 10 or more minutes if my movie was starting close to the start time of whatever the 'popular' show of the week was!

So Star Wars is next on my list. 
1917 isnt available at my primary theater, so I wont be seeing that one anytime soon! 
I dont know of any other movies Im particularly interested in seeing.   Frozen is still out, but Im not sure Im all that interested. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

I just checked Fandango.  Star Wars is not listed at any theater in my town on Friday.  SO I guess that I had better see it in the next few days!!  (IF I want to see it on a big screen!)

Vkw10

Has anyone seen The Last Full Measure or 1917? I'm debating about which to see this weekend.

I finally saw Knives Out. I enjoyed it, especially seeing the coffee mug from the first few minutes again in the final scene.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

bopper

I have seen 1917...it appears to be a single long cut as you follow the heroes on their journey.  It is getting awards and oscar buzz.

Parasaurolophus

Just watched William Friedkin's 12 Angry Men (1997) for the first time. What a great adaptation!

Gonna try to get to the cinema tomorrow or the day after and watch a couple new releases.
I know it's a genus.

Economizer

Got a free movie ticket or three as a gift. I walked out on the first one I attended (previously described here). The second, "The Gentleman", prominently featured the contributions of Guy Ritchie.  He  has a lot of the preparation and production credits from it.  That may be because a lot of folks bailed on him. 

As I was determined not to allow myself to walk out of my "free movie", I sat through its entirety.  The travelogue aspects were great, the costumes were fantastic, and the featured women were gorgeous and sexy.  The rest of it, the scenario and violence in particular, were too real and the prevailing subject, the future of the marijuana industry and, possibly the consequences ensuing, were absolutely depressing as it projects legal expansion of, in my opinion, negative forces affecting our, naturally somewhat troubled, maturing youth.

NOTE: this week I viewed, on a media link of a major electronics manufacturer, an interview with a star from the professional sports world who made a point of the investment of many of today's sports figures into "legalized marijuana" sales, distribution, and manufacture ventures. 
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Uncut Gems - The most stressful film I've seen in years. Man, was my BP ever high at the end of that. Sandler puts in a surprisingly good performance, and the directors did a great job ratcheting the tension up at the beginning and keeping it at that level throughout.

Jumanji: The Next Level - This sequel had no business being as good as it was, but it was great. A rip-roaring watch with some fantastic body-swap acting. It blew the six laugh test out of the water.

1917 - This is one of the most powerful films I've seen, and far and away the best war film (also, surprisingly, not especially violent!). It quite literally took my breath away, and it took me hours afterward to recover myself. A lot of that surely has to do with Roger Deakins's photography, which gave us an exquisite continuous-shot film. I felt like it gave me a peek into my grandparents' and great-grandparents' experiences in the world wars.
I know it's a genus.

Economizer

Quote from: Economizer on February 20, 2020, 09:41:56 AM
Got a free movie ticket or three as a gift. I walked out on the first one I attended (previously described here). The second, "The Gentleman", prominently featured the contributions of Guy Ritchie.  He  has a lot of the preparation and production credits from it.  That may be because a lot of folks bailed on him. 

As I was determined not to allow myself to walk out of my "free movie", I sat through its entirety.  The travelogue aspects were great, the costumes were fantastic, and the featured women were gorgeous and sexy.  The rest of it, the scenario and violence in particular, were too real and the prevailing subject, the future of the marijuana industry and, possibly the consequences ensuing, were absolutely depressing as it projects legal expansion of, in my opinion, negative forces affecting our, naturally somewhat troubled, maturing youth.

NOTE: this week I viewed, on a media link of a major electronics manufacturer, an interview with a star from the professional sports world who made a point of the investment of many of today's sports figures into "legalized marijuana" sales, distribution, and manufacture ventures.

re above by me:  In the sports star's talk, he spoke of THC levels in non THC hemp products.  It turns out, according to him, that small percentages of THC (tetrahyderacanabinal, I think) are allowed in hemp products. That reminds me of alcohol content allowed in the near beer products of the Prohibition era also, used on U.S. Army posts.  A read: 50-60 year old book, " Marijuana, the new Prohibition)!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

paultuttle

Thanks for the reminder to check Fandango! I've just learned that yes, Frozen II is still available on the big screen in my area.

[hastily opens another window to search for Elsa gowns at nearby boutiques so I can contemplate doing a Rocky Horror -style Frozen gender-bending performance at an upcoming weekend matinee]

[unfortunately, the heels are the problem, as they always are for a tall man with big feet]

[wipes off your screen for you, virtually]

Economizer

I viewed the novelist Jane Austin based work "EMMA".  My first thoughts were of the Actor Terry Thomas's quote in the character of J. Algernon Hawthorne in the classic movie "Its A Mad, Mad, Mad World": Why [are] Americans so obsessed with breasts.
How true that is of this American!

The movie itself is beautiful.  Perhaps the manner of the English tongue spoken was a bit hard to understand.  Saying that, the story is great, the scenery is at times breathtaking, and the costuming and choreography was delightful. It was a very pleasant change from other recent theater offerings.

clean

anyone going to a movie this weekend?

My favorite local place  (an Alamo Drafthouse) is now initiating a plan that automatically puts an empty chair between your parties. 

I dont know if there are any shows that i am interested in seeing.  Any recommendations?

I wanted to see "knives out" but now I see that it is for sale in Walmart (once the panic buying clears out the crowds - and shelves!- I may pick up a copy!!)

ab_grp

We don't usually go to movies that often but would probably avoid them right now.  But we did preorder Knives Out and have that (and The Wire to binge, and other movies).  We met up with some friends from my old state (wrong side but same state) the other night, and one had some criticisms of Knives Out that I hadn't really thought about but were reasonably valid, although I agreed with his father that it was probably just a supercritical eye and not going with the flow of the movie.

saffie

The Alama Drafthouse I have gone to is now closed due to the COVID-19 situation, so I guess I'll be exploring online streaming options for now.