News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antiphon1

We liked Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.  Husband found it sad in a metatheater kind of way - sort of the layers of falseness, pretense, insecurity, and general navel gazing one often finds in the business end of entertainment.  Tarantino specializes in fables about storytelling, so the rewriting of Sharon Tate's story didn't surprise us. 

We also caught Where'd You Go Bernadette?.  It's fun.  Kind of a frothy midlife crisis caper. 

0susanna

If you like Bruce Springsteen, or even if you don't, Blinded by the Light is a treasure. See it and give yourself some hope before the semester drags you under.
I wouldn't mind seeing it twice.

sprout

Quote from: monarda on August 18, 2019, 09:34:48 AM
We saw the Tarantino movie yesterday. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I'm not one for violence, but I liked it. Much more than I thought I would. Especially if you appreciate how he twists outcomes of the true stories/situations on which his movies are loosely based.

I might recommend reading to remind yourself a little about Charles Manson before going to see this one, that way you'll get all of the references to real people in this movie.

If you're interested in the real-life references, this is a quick review:  Once Upon...: A Character Guide   Spoiler alert, of course.  You may want to wait until after seeing the movie to click the link.

hmaria1609

I'm a happy camper that the soundtrack for the upcoming "Downton Abbey" movie (US release Sept. 20th) is available for pre-order now.

backatit

Quote from: 0susanna on August 20, 2019, 12:48:50 PM
If you like Bruce Springsteen, or even if you don't, Blinded by the Light is a treasure. See it and give yourself some hope before the semester drags you under.
I wouldn't mind seeing it twice.

Just saw it, and was in tears through the whole thing. My partner grew up in a small town in Thatcherite Britain, and it really hit home for us. Sometimes he forgets just how bad it was - the poll tax riots and scraping by on a student allowance of 100£ a month. OTOH, there was never any question of whether he could go to uni or not; my partner was homeless as a teen and he got a stipend because of it.

And yes, I'll definitely see it again. We have a good friend who has actually been to as many Springsteen concerts as he has - even traveling to the states to see him. It's an obsession, but I can think of worse ones :D.

saffie

I'm planning to see Downton Abbey in the coming week. Ad Astra and the latest Rambo movie are also new this weekend.

From Clean's earlier list, Knives Out looks to be entertaining from what I saw in the preview. Little Women (December) and Pain and Glory (October) also look interesting. I just signed up for a season pass so I'm hoping to get to more movies this fall.

clean

Im so busy with 2 online classes, I havent had time to even think about a movie!! 
I was interested in thinking about seeing the movie where the lady runs a marathon.  (clearly I am not on top of the title!  )
I dont want to run a marathon (IF i have to be 26 miles away, Id drive!).  However, I d like to be inspired to get out of the house and walk more!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ab_grp

We don't get out to movies that often, but I saw a good review for Ad Astra yesterday.  That might be an option.  I would be interested to hear opinions if anyone here sees it. 

hmaria1609

I plan to see "Downton Abbey" too.  My copy of Downton Abbey: the Official Film Companion by Emma Marriott came yesterday.  Enjoyed it!

ab_grp

Quote from: hmaria1609 on September 20, 2019, 01:51:13 PM
I plan to see "Downton Abbey" too.  My copy of Downton Abbey: the Official Film Companion by Emma Marriott came yesterday.  Enjoyed it!

I watched the first four seasons of the show and loved it for the most part but tailed off.  Initially, I think it was just supposed to be the first couple episodes, and that's it.  I thought they were great episodes with a good finish.  Then they rolled out season two, which was pretty good! But, eventually I just did not get into it as much, although there are many excellent characters.  I read a "refresher" after the final season (6?) today and would love to know if the movie does it justice! Please let us know what you think when you've seen it.

mamselle

My sense with a couple of the "Made from BBC (or its Australian equivalent) TV Series" movies is that, unlike their holiday specials, which continue or expand a storyline they plan to develop further, the movies kill off a bunch of the antagonists so the show can't go on....or has to struggle to rebuild from the ground up.

The most obvious one, to me, was the Dr. Blakley series, in which several of the folks who provided dramatic, oppositional grist for the plot-mill, were killed off. But I think it's happened with others, too...so the excitement about a full-length film. Coming out might really be the death-knell for the TV series its based on.

But this theory would want more analysis of more shows for confirmation....and I can't put the viewing time in, at the moment!

Sigh...

M.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

There's the "Miss Fisher & the Crypt of Tears" movie next year:
https://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2019/09/16/trailer-miss-fisher-crypt-tears-finally-here
In February 2020, it will release first in Australia then a limited US and UK run afterwards.

I didn't see the "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" when it originally broadcasted on PBS. It was aired on a week night on our local PBS station. The new spin-off "Ms. Fisher's MODern Murder Mysteries" focuses on Peregrine Fisher following in her aunt's footsteps in 1960s Melbourne.

mamselle

Oh, my.

I really should NOT have read that!

The costumes, acting, and sweet, zany, insane plot lines will drag me in and not let me go.

I daren't .....

But good to know....I guess!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

The Adams Family (a cartoon) opens this weekend. 
Anyone up for some pre-Halloween entertainment?

Im also interested in (I believe) Jexi- about a phone assistant gone rogue!

However, I have not seen a movie in months!  I suppose that it is good to be busy!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: hmaria1609 on September 21, 2019, 07:32:49 PM
There's the "Miss Fisher & the Crypt of Tears" movie next year:
https://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2019/09/16/trailer-miss-fisher-crypt-tears-finally-here
In February 2020, it will release first in Australia then a limited US and UK run afterwards.

I didn't see the "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" when it originally broadcasted on PBS. It was aired on a week night on our local PBS station. The new spin-off "Ms. Fisher's MODern Murder Mysteries" focuses on Peregrine Fisher following in her aunt's footsteps in 1960s Melbourne.

So. Excited!
I know it's a genus.