News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Inflation evidence

Started by clean, October 09, 2021, 12:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

Wal Mart is expensive on steaks for some reason. Same here, but its still  one of the least expensive groceries.

A large supermarket here had a steak for $553.   It was a misprint of course.  Imagine a customer buying it.

dismalist

QuoteA large supermarket here had a steak for $553.

How big was the steak? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

To tie two threads together, it is possible that even with huge jackpots the number of Powerball tickets sold is declining.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2022/11/03/powerball-jackpot-billion-iowa-mega-millions-lottery/stories/202211030124

Juvenal

Astonishing egg prices probably not due to balky, DEI-hatched hens (the newborn cocks are pulped--did you know that?), but that a plague lately raged through the hen houses, and much extensive culling (aka killing) came to be.  The dead lay no eggs.  And, so, your omelet, fueled by the survivors' product is--more costly.  Now, let's hear from the carrots.

Cranky septuagenarian

marshwiggle

Quote from: Juvenal on November 04, 2022, 02:10:34 PM
Astonishing egg prices probably not due to balky, DEI-hatched hens

You mean the diversity, equity, and inclusion police are harassing chickens now? God help us.
It takes so little to be above average.

Vkw10

Nancy's frozen mini-quiche, 24 per package, was $7.99 a year ago, when I stocked up for the inevitable holiday covered dish office parties. Today they were $10.24. I have moved states in the meantime, but I checked my old grocery store's online site and they were $0.50 more expensive there.

If you want turkey for Thanksgiving, shop soon. I visited five stores today, looking for the particular turkey breast I know my Thanksgiving hosts like to have on hand for winter meals. Turkeys were both scarce and dear. I'm accustomed to several freezer cases full of turkeys and turkey breasts, with a selection of brands and sizes. Today, four stores had a half freezer case of turkeys and one store had just six turkeys. The one I was seeking wasn't available at Wal-Mart, Dillons, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Aldi's, although three of those usually carry it. The tight supply is probably due to infected flocks being slaughtered earlier in the year, rather than inflation, but I doubt Scrooge will be sending that big turkey in the butcher's shop to the Cratchit family this year.

Am I the only one who wonders how Mrs. Cratchit felt when presented with that big feathered turkey on Christmas morning, when she didn't have sufficient stuffing or a spit big enough to roast it?

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on November 03, 2022, 02:36:26 PM
QuoteA large supermarket here had a steak for $553.

How big was the steak? :-)

Mastadon steak.  Both big and hard to come by.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.