News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Suit re being gay at ORU, Bob Jones etc

Started by jimbogumbo, May 20, 2022, 07:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

The guy in the kinky Roman uniform - what is up with that?

Is he on his way to an orgy?

And the woman giving him the stinkeye is priceless.

jimbogumbo

It's definitely going to be a rocky Thanksgiving.

mythbuster

The caption says that Bob Jones originally made lots of evangelical films. So I'm guessing the Roman was an extra, as were the women in full head scarves. Do love the side eye in that photo though.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on May 20, 2022, 07:22:34 AM
The guy in the kinky Roman uniform - what is up with that?

Is he on his way to an orgy?

And the woman giving him the stinkeye is priceless.

I bet'cha he was Pontius Pilate or a Roman centurion and she was Mary Magdalene in a passion play along with the other non-politically-correct "actors."  That scene is a little oneiric.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

I don't know why one would go to Oral Roberts if one is gay, but I can only say, "Go Hartzler! Go, man, go!"

nebo113

Am I the only person in the known universe who giggles at BJ(U) and ORAL Roberts?

apl68

Older and more established evangelical colleges have always tended to be embarrassed by schools like Bob Jones and Oral Roberts.  But they sometimes feel the need to support them in situations like this, out of a concern that precedents set in these cases could be used against them next.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 20, 2022, 08:42:34 PM
I don't know why one would go to Oral Roberts if one is gay, but I can only say, "Go Hartzler! Go, man, go!"

His aunt is a legislator who is openly anti-gay, and according to the story the two families live on the same property.

ORU was the only school his father would pay for, so as a closeted 18 yr old he was in a tough situation.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 21, 2022, 06:43:18 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 20, 2022, 08:42:34 PM

His aunt is a legislator who is openly anti-gay, and according to the story the two families live on the same property.

ORU was the only school his father would pay for, so as a closeted 18 yr old he was in a tough situation.

Yeah, I read that.  I still don't know why one would go there if one is gay. 

I just hope this class-action takes them down.  Enough with ignoring the law.  Enough with the bigotry.

From nebo:

Am I the only person in the known universe who giggles at BJ(U) and ORAL Roberts?

Bwhahahahahahahaha!!!

Hegemony

I think some kids from evangelical families know or suspect they're gay, regard this as a guilty and sinful aspect of their lives, and hope that a strict religious atmosphere will help them fight off their feelings of attraction to members of the same sex, and keep them on the straight (so the speak) and narrow. I've read that this is also a factor in men entering the priesthood in previous eras. They don't want to be gay, because they've absorbed the teaching of their church that it's sinful and despicable. They hope religious immersion will make them free of it. As history has shown, it doesn't work that way.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on May 21, 2022, 06:28:15 AM
Older and more established evangelical colleges have always tended to be embarrassed by schools like Bob Jones and Oral Roberts.  But they sometimes feel the need to support them in situations like this, out of a concern that precedents set in these cases could be used against them next.

My sense of their biggest error is their idolization of the charismatic.

By objectifying spiritual gifts and making them a desireable commodity--setting a value on them that accrues to individual identity and vainglory, rather than, as Paul's letters (Romans, Corinthians, Ephesians) enjoin, to the needs of the larger community, as an integrated, bodily whole--they remove the functional center of the life of faith and make it eccentric to the Body of Christ overall.

Apaphatic and kataphatic spirituality are cooperative and complementary in nature; emphasizing one over the other unbalances the whole: mainstream administration as well as prayer-closet visions are both needed for a healthy progression through the life of faith.

By making ecstatic experience the be-all and end-all, by not paying attention to the ethical realities of life, one shortstops the very ecclesial vision one propounds.

After prophesying on the hillside (I Samuel 10), Saul, king of Israel, still had to face the Philistines...

M.

On edit: +1 to Hegemony.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Juvenal

Quote from: mamselle on May 22, 2022, 05:18:35 AM
Quote from: apl68 on May 21, 2022, 06:28:15 AM

My sense of their biggest error is their idolization of the charismatic.

By objectifying spiritual gifts and making them a desireable commodity--setting a value on them that accrues to individual identity and vainglory, rather than, as Paul's letters (Romans, Corinthians, Ephesians) enjoin, to the needs of the larger community, as an integrated, bodily whole--they remove the functional center of the life of faith and make it eccentric to the Body of Christ overall.

Apaphatic and kataphatic spirituality are cooperative and complementary in nature; emphasizing one over the other unbalances the whole: mainstream administration as well as prayer-closet visions are both needed for a healthy progression through the life of faith.

By making ecstatic experience the be-all and end-all, by not paying attention to the ethical realities of life, one shortstops the very ecclesial vision one propounds.

After prophesying on the hillside (I Samuel 10), Saul, king of Israel, still had to face the Philistines...

M.

On edit: +1 to Hegemony.

+1
Cranky septuagenarian

kaysixteen

I wouldn't probably cite Romans as a text to use to argue against Bible colleges' bans on homosexuality, no.