News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer 2022 Plans

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 22, 2022, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

What are your plans for this summer? Will you be teaching?- Doing research?- Chilling out?

I looked back at the 2020 Summer Plans thread and noticed that I planned to put in a garden. That didn't happen. I mainly do container gardening. Maybe this summer?

I'm not sure if I'll be teaching yet- enrollment is abysmally low. If my classes are cancelled, then I'll be gardening, exploring, cooking and hopefully taking time to relax and reset my mind. What about you?

clean

Im visiting my parents' house now.  My mom had surgery on her dominant hand, so we are here to do a little to help out for a few days so that she doesnt disobey the dcotor's orders too much!  We are leaving on Tuesday and my brother's family comes over on Friday.  (We have not yet offered, but I had always made my plans open enough taht I can stay until Thursday.

We are going to the national convention of Better Investing in Dallas in mid June.  My bride and I attended one a few years ago in Orlando.  She needs a refresher course on the techniques.  I will try to get into the Intermediate section.  There are some fine points with their computer programs that I will benefit from. 
(For anyone old enough to remember, this is the group that supports Investment clubs.  I learned about the group ages ago from The Beardstown Ladies).

I am then scheduled to teach 2 online classes. They will require a lot of work, but this year they will be limited to 7 weeks.  Last year it was for 12 weeks! 

This will be my last year for one of the classes for sure.  So next year I will teach a maximum of one of the classes.

Next year is already setting up to be a noteworthy year, as it will include a 2 week trip to Alaska. 
This year's Alaska trip was cancelled in January when my bride and my travel companion decided that they were not comfortable going this year.  (In January when the Covid cases were peaking was when we were scheduled to pay, so no trip this summer).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Teaching, writing, clearing, walking in the early AM.

Pretty much as usual!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Surviving teaching in the short summer term and job hunting.

Sun_Worshiper

Teaching an online class for the first few weeks of the summer, then focusing on research. Lots of travel too, including two international trips. I'm also planning to relax, watch movies, read books, and to stay fit.

AmLitHist

Surgery this week will be followed by 8+ weeks of sitting with my foot up and iced. 

I'll be teaching 2 online comp sections during June and July; another might materialize, which would be great.

Tending to/supervising care of the gardens should lead to lots of squash, tomatoes, and peppers.

Over the next couple of days, I need to do some badly needed dusting and decluttering.  I'll also make plans for Christmas gifts and some other projects to (hopefully) sell, which will also help me get the yarn monster that's taken over our living room under a little better control!

Don't be jealous of my fabulously exciting life.

apl68

Riding herd on our first face-to-face summer library program in two years.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

QuoteSurgery this week will be followed by 8+ weeks of sitting with my foot up and iced. 

Here, we can not use sick pay in the summer.  There is a caveat that IF your summer class has started, and you have an accident of illness, you can, but not for surgery.

My best friend (now deceased) had offered to have knee replacement in the summer, but only if he could use sick pay as he didnt want to take a cut in pay.  (He was a 30 year + employee with over 3 year's worth of sick pay at the time).  They said no. 
He scheduled it for the weeks after Spring Break instead. 

I learned from that!  IF I have to PLAN a surgery, it will be in Fall or Spring.  I have too much sick leave, and I have no desire to further subsidize the university by using my precious  time off to recover from surgery, IF I have a choice in the matter!     (Also, by summer time I m usually out of my health care savings account, so waiting until after 9/1 would be helpful to my wallet!)

But I do wish you a quick recovery!  It sounds painful to have foot surgery!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on May 23, 2022, 10:14:47 AM
Riding herd on our first face-to-face summer library program in two years.

Hope it goes well.

Those are important to kids and adults alike.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 23, 2022, 09:30:46 AM
Surgery this week will be followed by 8+ weeks of sitting with my foot up and iced. 

I'll be teaching 2 online comp sections during June and July; another might materialize, which would be great.

Tending to/supervising care of the gardens should lead to lots of squash, tomatoes, and peppers.

Over the next couple of days, I need to do some badly needed dusting and decluttering.  I'll also make plans for Christmas gifts and some other projects to (hopefully) sell, which will also help me get the yarn monster that's taken over our living room under a little better control!

Don't be jealous of my fabulously exciting life.

I hope it all goes well. Do you have someone to tend to you and a little bell to ring? ;)

lightning

I completely forgot about renewing Lightning Junior's expiring visa, so the cultural & language immersion trip to my favorite countries is not going to happen.

I was really bumming about it, until I found a seriously great deal on a travel itinerary to an exotic island paradise.

Somehow, I need to get everything done that needs to get done, so I don't worry about a to-do list when I'm sitting on a beach sipping over-priced watered down alcohol.

Vkw10

As soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

lightning

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 25, 2022, 08:21:14 PM
As soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.

That's it?

Surely, you could resign in a much more flamboyant way? Or, at least think of a creative way to resign and put it on a Fantasy Resignation thread.

Antiphon1

Quote from: lightning on May 25, 2022, 09:19:31 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on May 25, 2022, 08:21:14 PM

That's it?

Surely, you could resign in a much more flamboyant way? Or, at least think of a creative way to resign and put it on a Fantasy Resignation thread.

Keep it a fantasy.  Giving the middle finger to the place the rear view mirror sometimes tempts us on the way out.  Social media is not kind to those who choose this route.  The last thing you want to explain at the new place is how you left the old place. 

FYI - All about creative ways to screw over bullies and creeps if it can't be traced.