News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer 2022 Plans

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 22, 2022, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

That must be so satisfying, Vkw10! Congratulations!

I'm probably going to be a homeowner by the end of this summer, one way or another. Kind of wish it were in a different market, but oh well.

clean

QuoteAs soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.

Congratulations on your new job!

However, please check on your university policy about health insurance if you are not starting until the Fall.
In my current job, as well as my prior job, IF you told HR that you would not be returning in the Fall, they immediately canceled your health insurance.  (It is not exactly their fault - in my current state, it is a state law!  The state does not pay its share of he summer health insurance if you are not returning without regard to the fact that YOU already have!)

As an alternative, you might tell the dean that you are no longer chair - effective immediately.  Then on August 1 or so give them the notice that you are leaving and in that letter tell them that you WOULD have given notice in May IF not for the fact that it would have cost you several thousand dollars in health care costs.  Or just tell them that the job came up and you could not resist. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

AmLitHist

Congrats, Vkw10!

Thanks for the good wishes, all--surgery is in about 5 hours. I'll definitely make extensive use of the bell:  I truly plan to get every bit of service and pampering out of this that I can!  :-)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 25, 2022, 08:21:14 PM
As soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.

Congrats!

Langue_doc

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 26, 2022, 07:24:23 AM
Congrats, Vkw10!

Thanks for the good wishes, all--surgery is in about 5 hours. I'll definitely make extensive use of the bell:  I truly plan to get every bit of service and pampering out of this that I can!  :-)

Sending you good wishes for the surgery and a speedy recovery, AmLitHist.

the_geneticist

Teaching one face-to-face class, gardening, and trying to avoid going to campus most days.

Langue_doc

Taking two weeks off this month, post semester, just to be outside doing outdoor things, and then a trip northeast in July for a "fun" workshop, which is unrelated to work. I've been looking forward to this trip, but the gas prices are going to mean that I'll have to cut down on other stuff.

lightning

Quote from: Antiphon1 on May 25, 2022, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: lightning on May 25, 2022, 09:19:31 PM
As soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.

That's it?

Surely, you could resign in a much more flamboyant way? Or, at least think of a creative way to resign and put it on a Fantasy Resignation thread.

Keep it a fantasy.  Giving the middle finger to the place the rear view mirror sometimes tempts us on the way out.  Social media is not kind to those who choose this route.  The last thing you want to explain at the new place is how you left the old place. 

FYI - All about creative ways to screw over bullies and creeps if it can't be traced.

Who said anything about giving a a middle finger, metaphorical or otherwise?

You can be creative & fun about resigning without giving the middle finger.

Here's one. My university HR has this dumb policy about resignation letters and that they have to to be hard copy. IOW, you can't just email your resignation. Sooo, I'm printing up a large outdoor banner for my resignation letter (which has only date & "Dear Lighting U. "I quit. Dr. Lightning")  and hanging it in the early morning outside of the main admin building, with a small note in the lower right corner that reads "Have fun stuffing this into my Manlia folder."

Or, I'll send an "I quit" cameo video from the Soup Nazi.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: lightning on May 27, 2022, 10:34:47 AM

That's it?

Surely, you could resign in a much more flamboyant way? Or, at least think of a creative way to resign and put it on a Fantasy Resignation thread.

Keep it a fantasy.  Giving the middle finger to the place the rear view mirror sometimes tempts us on the way out.  Social media is not kind to those who choose this route.  The last thing you want to explain at the new place is how you left the old place. 

FYI - All about creative ways to screw over bullies and creeps if it can't be traced.

Here's one. My university HR has this dumb policy about resignation letters and that they have to to be hard copy. IOW, you can't just email your resignation. Sooo, I'm printing up a large outdoor banner for my resignation letter (which has only date & "Dear Lighting U. "I quit. Dr. Lightning")  and hanging it in the early morning outside of the main admin building, with a small note in the lower right corner that reads "Have fun stuffing this into my Manlia folder."

Hilarious.

Antiphon1

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 27, 2022, 10:57:33 AM
Quote from: lightning on May 27, 2022, 10:34:47 AM

That's it?

Hilarious.

Now that's a leaving I can get behind.  Pun intended. 

I may or may not have left a sneaky, stinky gift in a particularly heinous employer's office.  I understand it took some time to find and eradicate the odor. 

mamselle

Oh, dear.

Not everyone likes Roquefort cheese....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Antiphon1

Quote from: mamselle on May 27, 2022, 03:54:41 PM
Oh, dear.

Not everyone likes Roquefort cheese....

M.

Ummm, no.  Think Flipper gone so, so bad. 

Vkw10

Quote from: clean on May 26, 2022, 07:06:00 AM
QuoteAs soon as offer letter is signed and received, I'll notify CrazyNewDean that it's time to find another department chair and start packing my office.

Congratulations on your new job!

However, please check on your university policy about health insurance if you are not starting until the Fall.
In my current job, as well as my prior job, IF you told HR that you would not be returning in the Fall, they immediately canceled your health insurance.  (It is not exactly their fault - in my current state, it is a state law!  The state does not pay its share of he summer health insurance if you are not returning without regard to the fact that YOU already have!)

As an alternative, you might tell the dean that you are no longer chair - effective immediately.  Then on August 1 or so give them the notice that you are leaving and in that letter tell them that you WOULD have given notice in May IF not for the fact that it would have cost you several thousand dollars in health care costs.  Or just tell them that the job came up and you could not resist.

Twelve month contract, so not an issue for me. I'm starting new position in August 1, so I just need to resign effective July 8th so they pay me for the holiday. :-)
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Vkw10

Quote from: ergative on May 25, 2022, 11:23:42 PM
That must be so satisfying, Vkw10! Congratulations!

I'm probably going to be a homeowner by the end of this summer, one way or another. Kind of wish it were in a different market, but oh well.

Not an easy market to buy, so good luck! 🍀

Vkw10

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 26, 2022, 07:24:23 AM
Congrats, Vkw10!

Hope the surgery went well and you're on the road to recovery!