News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ask the Forum

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 29, 2022, 10:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I thought we should have a thread in which we can ask questions which someone here can probably answer--not tech help, but you know, 'how the world works'-type questions, or 'what does this concept mean', etc.

I'll start us off. I know that toucans have serrated beaks. But why do they have shadow-teeth on the outside?
I know it's a genus.

bacardiandlime

Like ELI5 on Reddit?

No idea on the toucans though

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 29, 2022, 10:07:16 PM
I thought we should have a thread in which we can ask questions which someone here can probably answer--not tech help, but you know, 'how the world works'-type questions, or 'what does this concept mean', etc.

I'll start us off. I know that toucans have serrated beaks. But why do they have shadow-teeth on the outside?

So an academic can pose the question on an academic forum, thereby causing us all to rush to Dr. Google.  TeeHee

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: bacardiandlime on May 30, 2022, 04:17:17 AM
Like ELI5 on Reddit?

Sure, that seems about right!

Quote from: nebo113 on May 30, 2022, 05:17:07 AM

So an academic can pose the question on an academic forum, thereby causing us all to rush to Dr. Google.  TeeHee

Ideally, they'll be questions Google isn't so great at answering. But whatever!
I know it's a genus.

downer

Why is melatonin prescription-only in the UK but not in the US?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Wahoo Redux

I've asked this before, and perhaps it is too fraught a question, but I would really like to know just out of curiosity.

How can employers (not just colleges) legally have "diversity hires" or post "women and minorities are encouraged to apply" language in their job ads?

Also, is it true that marijuana taxation has not been the windfall it was predicted to be?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

secundem_artem

Quote from: downer on May 30, 2022, 06:47:00 AM

This is an over simplification, but a few years ago, then Senator Harkin had legislation passed that makes it fairly difficult to regulate "natural" medications.  There are some limits on what vendors of such products can say - "promotes sleep health" is fine but "effective as a sleeping pill" would not be.  But bringing these products to market and selling them is not well regulated.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

downer

Quote from: secundem_artem on May 30, 2022, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: downer on May 30, 2022, 06:47:00 AM

This is an over simplification, but a few years ago, then Senator Harkin had legislation passed that makes it fairly difficult to regulate "natural" medications.  There are some limits on what vendors of such products can say - "promotes sleep health" is fine but "effective as a sleeping pill" would not be.  But bringing these products to market and selling them is not well regulated.

Thanks, secundem_artem.
Sometimes, just sometimes, I think a free market is perfectly fine!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 30, 2022, 10:27:11 AM
I've asked this before, and perhaps it is too fraught a question, but I would really like to know just out of curiosity.

How can employers (not just colleges) legally have "diversity hires" or post "women and minorities are encouraged to apply" language in their job ads?

Because the current zeitgeist would get anyone crucified for pointing out that it's discriminatory?
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 30, 2022, 12:04:50 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 30, 2022, 10:27:11 AM

Because the current zeitgeist would get anyone crucified for pointing out that it's discriminatory?

Because both discrimination and disparate outcomes are illegal! It's essentially a quota system.

https://www.eeoc.gov/prohibited-employment-policiespractices

Note the internal contradictions in the first couple of paragraphs.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

OH, MAGIC EIGHT-BALL FORUM....

Oh, wait, it's not that kind of 'ask the forum'?...

Oh, well...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

How do built-in bookcases work? Is it basically a bookcase attached to the existing wall, or do contractors need to pull out part of the existing wall cover to make bookcases? How much do they cost? Is it worth it to hire someone to install built-in bookcases in our new apartment* or will it turn out to be a massive hassle and I should just get a bunch of Ikeas? Anyone have experience with this sort of property modification? Any guidance?

*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AvidReader

Quote from: ergative on May 31, 2022, 12:20:32 AM
How do built-in bookcases work? Is it basically a bookcase attached to the existing wall, or do contractors need to pull out part of the existing wall cover to make bookcases?

Spouse and I designed and built (respectively) 20' of built-ins last year. I cannot comment on how professionals do it, but spouse built 6 sections of shelving (6', 8', and 6' wide, and with separate top and bottom units to make them easier to handle, with slightly deeper shelves on the bottoms for our oversize books). We looked at some templates by Anna White and a few DIY YouTube videos. Ours are basically frames with fixed shelves halfway up each unit (and at the tops and bottoms, of course) and bracing across the back; spouse drilled the bracing straight into the studs (and also some pocket holes on the fixed shelves and uprights, where they aligned with the studs) but the wall is basically the back side of the bookcase. It was definitely more hassle than Ikeas, but being able to customize our shelves to the books we have is wonderful. It took spouse about 2 weeks, but spouse is a novice with medium quality tools, so I expect a professional could do it in less than a week. Happy to answer questions via direct message if you want more details.

AR.

apl68

Or, for the low-budget and adventurous, there's always cinder blocks and lumber.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all