News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Lucifer aka Satan

Started by nebo113, June 15, 2022, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

Quote from: nebo113 on June 15, 2022, 04:54:02 PM
if Lucifer sinned before Eve, why does she get all the blame for sin?  Serious question.  I'm not a Biblical scholar, nor a believer, but am genuinely curious.

I am pretty sure that in Catholic theology Original Sin begins with Adam, not Eve.  She broke the rules first but all of humanity inherits OS from Adam.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Hegemony

In the Middle Ages, the point was repeatedly made that the Virgin Mary undid the sin that Eve committed, in a kind of parallel sequence. Though sometimes the focus is on Adam eating the apple, as being male he is considered the main player. However, though they both were expelled from the Garden, Eve got the extra punishment of labor pains, so there was a tendency to keep refocusing on Eve's part.

mamselle

Yes, that's the 'Ave fit ex Eva' theme.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Thank you all for this intriguing discussion.  Lots of food for thought....and a re-reading of Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Anselm on June 16, 2022, 12:42:05 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on June 15, 2022, 04:54:02 PM
if Lucifer sinned before Eve, why does she get all the blame for sin?  Serious question.  I'm not a Biblical scholar, nor a believer, but am genuinely curious.

I am pretty sure that in Catholic theology Original Sin begins with Adam, not Eve.  She broke the rules first but all of humanity inherits OS from Adam.

I've never heard it explicitly stated, but that would fit with the idea that Jesus, being conceived by the Holy Spirit, rather than a man, could escape the inheritance of original sin.
It takes so little to be above average.

mythbuster

Yes. The Immaculate Conception refers to the miracle of Mary being born without original sin- not Jesus as many non-Catholics presume. This was needed for her to be the vessel through which we get Jesus. Sinless mother and Holy Spirit Father produces the messiah.