News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Apps to use offline without internet

Started by Myword, June 27, 2022, 07:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

Hey,
       do you know or use any intelligent apps when your smartphone is offline? On my LG phone, I can get the weather, email, maps, photos. Please, No games, music or entertainment. I need something informative, educational
for the time when I have no wi fi at all, which is often. Free or very low cost.  Not ereader gadgets.

Liquidambar

I listen to a lot of podcasts offline.  (I download the podcasts when I'm on wifi.)  Does that meet your criteria?  Whether a podcast is entertaining or educational is up to which podcast you select.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

AmLitHist

You can save items to Pocket when online, then read later when offline. www.getpocket.com  There is a free and a paid version; I've used the free one and saved recipes, crochet patterns, and articles for 5+ years.

hmaria1609

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 27, 2022, 02:05:35 PM
You can save items to Pocket when online, then read later when offline. www.getpocket.com  There is a free and a paid version; I've used the free one and saved recipes, crochet patterns, and articles for 5+ years.
Although I don't have an account, Firefox features "Recommended by Pocket" whenever I open a new window. I've found and read some great ones!

downer

There are educational games. I've been occasionally using World Map Quiz, which will challenge your geography.

Having content off line is all about what you have access to and how much memory you have on your phone.

My public library gives me access to a lot. I can download movies, including documentaries, via Kanopy and Hoopla. It also provides audiobooks.

Obviously plenty of material is available in PDF which you can also download to read while offline. You just search for it.

I often prefer a tablet rather than my phone for watching movies and reading PDFs.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis