Social Scientist Leaves Profession Org. over DEI Requirements

Started by mahagonny, October 01, 2022, 10:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

https://reason.com/2022/09/30/mandated-diversity-statement-drives-jonathan-haidt-to-quit-academic-society/

'But the SPSP requirement went a step further, dropping "diversity" in favor of "anti-racism," a term frequently associated with Boston University's Ibram X. Kendi, author of How to Be an Antiracist and other works. Among the book's passages is a widely shared one highlighted by Haidt:

"The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."
That's an "explicitly ideological" interpretation of social interactions, Haidt objects, along with prescribed remedies to which he has moral and professional objections. He believes individual members of SPSP should be free to adopt the sentiment themselves, but adherence shouldn't be compelled.'

If someone were to ask you how you are going to be anti-racist at the workplace, I could envision a variety of truthful answers. And some of those would challenge the DEI itself and its standard left-of-center script. Your answer could be anything you honestly believe would help. For instance, carrying a gun 24/7 in case you see a racial attack. What other answers could be given? Many. Which would get you fired?

kaysixteen

Haidt is a serious, important scholar.  His opinion carries merit and should have influence.   And, of course, the practices which he is criticizing, well, just seem tailor-made to provide ammo for dishonest or cynical rightist critics of academia.

mahagonny

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 01, 2022, 09:34:05 PM
Haidt is a serious, important scholar.  His opinion carries merit and should have influence.   And, of course, the practices which he is criticizing, well, just seem tailor-made to provide ammo for dishonest or cynical rightist critics of academia.

Sure but if you simply take away the question 'from what part of the political spectrum do you speak', I think an honest criticism of academia would say that DEI has grown into a problem.

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on October 02, 2022, 04:14:15 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on October 01, 2022, 09:34:05 PM

Sure but if you simply take away the question 'from what part of the political spectrum do you speak', I think an honest criticism of academia would say that DEI has grown into a problem.

Hmm...doesn't look like anyone here disagrees with this. And that is somewhat heartening.

Hegemony

It's not that we all agree, it's that we desperately hope that by ignoring these almost daily threads ranting about the same old topic, that we can have a forum that's not dominated by a single participant with a tiresome bee in his bonnet.  I've been a Forumite for a long time and have benefited greatly from the wisdom here over the years, but honestly, I'm now so tired of the endless threads about the same old obsession, all started by the same person, and the endless hijacking of irrelevant threads, all started by the same person, that I'm about to throw in the towel.

mahagonny

Quote from: Hegemony on October 03, 2022, 06:55:00 PM
It's not that we all agree, it's that we desperately hope that by ignoring these almost daily threads ranting about the same old topic, that we can have a forum that's not dominated by a single participant with a tiresome bee in his bonnet.  I've been a Forumite for a long time and have benefited greatly from the wisdom here over the years, but honestly, I'm now so tired of the endless threads about the same old obsession, all started by the same person, and the endless hijacking of irrelevant threads, all started by the same person, that I'm about to throw in the towel.

Uh, in a word....bullshit.
One, you didn't ignore it, even though you have two options to, one to pass on reading anything I've posted, and the other, that you select 'ignore user' to make it even easier. By no means do you need to 'throw in the towel' to be unaffected by what I do here. Two, I don't know what would make you think you know that everyone feels the same way as you express yourself to feel. Although I can easily believe that the controversy about diversity/equity/inclusion is an uncomfortable subject.

mahagonny

con't

Hegemony. Given Ibram Kendi and his coined term 'anti-racism' (which is kind of like someone claiming they've just invented ice that you can put in a cocktail glass) has emerged an absolute sensation in higher education administration, and beyond, as of the last several years, it is noteworthy that he is never discussed here. The question 'why' is there even if no one posts it. the most positive, heck, practically the only thing written about him here to date has 'seems a pleasant fellow.' Something weird is going on. We all know it.

from SUNY webpage: https://padlet.com/nicolethelibrarian/nbasekqoazt336co