News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Never Buy any Candy

Started by Juvenal, October 29, 2022, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

That you don't like yourself, for appeasing importunate Halloween tots.

Me, I bought too much today, all with some form of chocolate.  Any that's left I promise to myself I'll only eat two pieces a day come November.  Right.  Sure.

And what are you giving out, if anything?  I certainly hope not a sprinkle of that loathsome "candy" called "candy corn."
Cranky septuagenarian

mahagonny

I like to buy more then I need, then give the rest to students. Crunchy and chewy chocolate things mostly. I sample a few. Chocolate and peanuts or caramel is a good combo.

Ruralguy

I'm in a rural area, so nobody comes by. I think those who trick or treat, do the rounds in the nearest town, usually pretty early.

hmaria1609

This kid had an original idea as he makes the rounds on Halloween night:
https://www.gocomics.com/looseparts/2022/10/29
From "Loose Parts" daily syndicated comic 10/29/22

I'll be coming home from the library on Halloween night.

ergative

Pro tip: All the candy is on sale November 1st, February 15th, and Easter Monday. Stock up then.

When I was in grad school we would religiously make a CVS run to supply our TA office on those days.

dismalist

Quote from: ergative on October 31, 2022, 02:19:07 PM
Pro tip: All the candy is on sale November 1st, February 15th, and Easter Monday. Stock up then.

When I was in grad school we would religiously make a CVS run to supply our TA office on those days.

When we were poor, we used to wait until after Christmas to buy the prezzies. [This temporal price discrimination is called "sales".] Then we'd celebrate Christmas some days later.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

RatGuy

My experience is that the Halloween candy is already off the shelves in my stores. Indeed, I went on Saturday and only Christmas candy was available. I think they're onto us.

ergative

Quote from: RatGuy on October 31, 2022, 02:57:14 PM

My experience is that the Halloween candy is already off the shelves in my stores. Indeed, I went on Saturday and only Christmas candy was available. I think they're onto us.

NO! I actually noticed something similar when I moved to current!job city, but I thought it was a locational thing, and comforted myself with the thought of younger grad students behind me carrying on the tradition I left behind in grad!city. Your news grieves me with its implication that the world over, this tradition might be coming to an enforced end.

onthefringe

Quote from: ergative on November 01, 2022, 12:17:48 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on October 31, 2022, 02:57:14 PM

NO! I actually noticed something similar when I moved to current!job city, but I thought it was a locational thing, and comforted myself with the thought of younger grad students behind me carrying on the tradition I left behind in grad!city. Your news grieves me with its implication that the world over, this tradition might be coming to an enforced end.

Like ratguy, my store had christmas stuff up the day before Halloween, so you couldn't even buy supplies at the last minute.

I don't want two full months of Christmas-related brainwashing!

clean

I think that Christmas Candy out the day before Halloween is a GOOD THING!  My local grocery had the same thing.  However it was not because Christmas Came Early, but that they had Sold OUT of Halloween candy!  Earlier in the week (or the last few weeks) there were several shelves loaded with Halloween items and candy.  When I went on Sunday to buy some, they were out of Halloween candy, and had regular miniatures out and Christmas candy.  So perhaps that is a good sign for the economy! 
Buying candy to give away to neighborhood kids you dont even know is not a priority in a recession!  And it was not as if the candy wen on sale the week(s) before!  So IF the candy was gone, then I suspect that is a result of (perhaps a combination) of low ordering by the stores (and I dont think that was the case given the shelf space devoted over the last weeks) or customers buying it out! 

(Or  perhaps the hoodlums found that it was cheaper to Throw Candy than to buy eggs for throwing!!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

These reports of not having Halloween candy after Halloween available for sale are fascinating.

My guess is that the markup on candy compared to at least some Christmas items is so low, that it doesn't make any extra money to sell some after Halloween at a lower price, i.e. on a "sale", whereas it does make extra money for those Christmas items.

I read somewhere that if there's something about pricing you don't understand, it's probably price discrimination! :-)

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

secundem_artem

Quote from: Juvenal on October 29, 2022, 04:07:31 PM
That you don't like yourself, for appeasing importunate Halloween tots.

Me, I bought too much today, all with some form of chocolate.  Any that's left I promise to myself I'll only eat two pieces a day come November.  Right.  Sure.

And what are you giving out, if anything?  I certainly hope not a sprinkle of that loathsome "candy" called "candy corn."

You take that back.  I'll fight you on that one.  Plus, it's corn so it counts as a vegetable.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

clean

QuoteYou take that back.  I'll fight you on that one.  Plus, it's corn so it counts as a vegetable.

While Corn Syrup is a key ingredient, it also has gelatin so that 'vegetable' also have hooves and hides! 

I do like candy corn, though, and will buy a bag once a year.  It takes a year for me to forget, and I really like them, but after the bag is gone, I am satiated for them and will need another year to try again!

Circus peanuts are the same, but I have a longer satiation period... like every 3 years or so! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

My class ate most of the left over candy today, but I held back the really good stuff (peanut butter cups and peanut m&ms) for my lab, where I can also raid them (but they will not last long, even though one of my grad students inexplicably doesn't like chocolate).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on November 02, 2022, 06:35:34 PM
My class ate most of the left over candy today, but I held back the really good stuff (peanut butter cups and peanut m&ms) for my lab, where I can also raid them (but they will not last long, even though one of my grad students inexplicably doesn't like chocolate).

Gasp!

We had less than 10 trick or treaters, so we have a buttload (metric) of candy left over.